Author Topic: Pregnancy post AN surgery  (Read 15069 times)

Emer

Pregnancy post AN surgery
« on: September 13, 2005, 02:29:27 pm »
Hey there
I'm nearly 3 years post surgery and I found this web-site invaluable in the early days - talking to real people makes a huge difference. Now I have a whole difference set of questions! Since my surgery I've gotten married (postponed twice due to AN but third time lucky!) and am currently expecting a baby! Its very early so only immediate family members know but I'd really like to find out if someone else has delivered a baby post-surgery. I have a rather large "soft spot" in my skull and I just don't know if I'll be able to push! I think I might have to go down the caesaran route but I was just hoping for some real life advice.

Many thanks
Emer
(Dublin, Ireland)

steph

Re: Pregnancy post AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:43:02 am »
Congratulations on the baby!!! Children are such miracles. My daughter was one when I had my surgery but in doing the reserach re: having a second baby it seems a c-section is often recommended just in case. the pressure of pushing could be a little too much. Have you spoken to your obstetrician and neuro-surgeon regarding their recommendations?

Emer

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:16:02 pm »
Hi there,
Thanks for your words. My neuro team told me to ask my gynae doc and I haven't been able to talk to him/her yet! As I said its very early days so I'm just gettting myself organised. As a case like this is not all that common I was looking for some other opinions first. If he/she said "well what do you think yourself" I'd be a bit nervous. I physically don't feel like I'd be able for the pressure of pushing for an extended period of time (and as this is baby no1 I've no frame of reference!) but if it was possible I'd like to go the most natural (!) way possible.
Thanks again and if I find any more info I'll post it up.

Emer :D

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:05:45 pm »
Congratulations!

I was a Labor and Delivery nurse in a large medical center associated with a high risk antepartum unit. In other words, we treated many pregnant women with various medical problems. Some patients, for instance, with cardiac problems were advised not to push and some such as paraplegics were unable to push. Many of the patients delivered without needing a c-section despite not pushing.

Best Wishes,
Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Emer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 07:51:53 am »
Really? How is that? As a complete novice I didn't think not pushing was an option! I was a c-section and I've no sisters to compare notes with.

Thanks for your help
Emer

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 09:27:10 pm »
Hi,

Maybe this is a topic for another forum, but since you asked I am happy to give a short explaination.  It probably does sound a little bewildering.

The force of contractions during the second stage of  labor can (not always) bring the baby low enough to safely deliver the baby with the help of a vacuum extractor or sometimes forceps. There are more than a few reasons why patients can't or won't push. Just like AN surgery, the experience of the OB can be a variable as well as the size of the baby in relation to the pelvis. (There are many other variables.) With any pregnancy, a C/S is always a possibility and not being able to push increases the possibility but doesn't guarantee it. 

I don't know if pushing is contraindicated post AN surgery. I think it would be the call of the neuro team. If it is OK from the neuro point of view, it should be OK from the OB standpoint.  Keep us posted!

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 05:24:23 pm »
Emer: my son was born  just little more than eight years post-op from my resection, no problems and little did I know I had a regrowth present at the time, I found out about the regrowth when he was 2 months old and went on to have my daughter 3 years after that, again no problem. I had an epidural with both of them and my son was induced. I was monitored more closely during the pregnancies and they kept a good eye on my vitals during labour, I also stayed longer in the hospital (1-2 days longer) than the average woman. The only concern really might be that you are less years post-op? Maybe you shouold consult the surgeon who did the surgery for the a.n. early on in the pregnancy to get direction from him.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

AngelaRupp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 10:08:40 pm »
Hi,
I had a completely normal pregnancy and a vaginal delivery only a year after my AN surgery!  I thought I was dreaming when I found out I was pregnant only three months after my surgery!  I called my surgeon's office and was told that there shouldn't be any complications with having a child after AN surgery.  They said if I felt too much pressure in my head at the time of delivery, that a decision could be made to have an immediate C-section.  I felt no difference with this birth with my body than I did the first two times I had children!!  Not only did I get a beautiful girl, after having two boys, she was born on my birthday, within two weeks of my 1 year "anniversary" of my AN removal!  The most precious gift I've ever been given!  She has helped me recover tremendously!  Best wishes!  Feel free to contact me if you'd like to chat more!
--- Angela
You WILL get through this!!
I did.
Angela Rupp
3cm right side
Removed surgically Feb. 27, 2003
Froedtert Memorial Hospital
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lost hearing and balance nerves. Facial nerve was stretched.
I have just a slight paralysis now, not noticeable to most people!

Lisa Peele

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 11:18:54 am »
I had surgery to remove a 4+ cm tumor almost 2 years ago.  I am 4 months pregnant with our fifth child and my doctors (surgeons and OB) feel that I should have no problems with the pregnancy/labor and delivery.  Everything has gone well so far.  I will post when the baby arrives (August) :)!
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

cookiesecond

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 11:49:34 am »
Congratulations Lisa. I pray all goes well with you and yours.
Lynn

Emer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 08:29:48 am »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go down the c-section route for a few reasons. The words "forceps" and "vacuum" sounded more distressful on the baby and also I believe an emergency c-section is more traumatic than an elective one. My an was >5cm and the "soft spot" left in my skull is large and still quite tender today so pushing really doesn't feel possible. Baby is due to make an appearance on the 4th of May (all going well) and my next little hurdle is the anaesthesist (my spelling is awful - my apologies!). My doctor told me its not his decision on whether I get a spinal or a general anaesthetic, its the anaesthesist that I get on the day. I REALLY don't want a general as my husband won't be allowed intot the theatre and I feel like we'll both be missing for the birth. I delighted to hear some of you got an epidural as I can use that as reference. If there was sound medical reasons for a general then ok, I'd live with it but I really don't want some lazy anaesthesist saying "ah I don't really know much about this an business so I'll just go with the general". Its is actually making me a bit anxious (time is fast approaching!) and I don't want to be stressed. My neuro team are really taking a back seat on this issue and your feed back has made me feel a lot better.

Thanks again
Emer

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 08:41:02 am »
Best of Luck Emer!  Keep us posted when the new bundle arrives!  vaccumma nd forceps would have got me too!

SKT

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 08:43:44 am »
Hi Emer

I'm glad you've made your decision and I wish you the best of luch.

I've been following this post as it is of great interest to me - i'm hoping to get pregnant soon. I've not had any previous children either. I am two years post op.  It would be great if any women who have delivered a baby post op, post a description of their decision and experience.

sodagal

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 10:28:35 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS!! I had my daughter on 10/7/05 and then had my surgery for my tumor on 12/9/05. I did not get to bond very much but I sure get to now since I have been home and she is what is making me work even harder!!! Take care!! :D
33 years old female
Had a baby 10/7/05 and AN surgery on 12/9/05.  AN was 2.5x2.7 with a cyst-
Northeast Baptist Hospital- San Antonio,Texas- Dr. Holger Skerhut

Jana

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 05:02:54 pm »
I understand your worry but I am sure everything will be fine. Before my daughter(who is now 3) and my son(16 months) I too was worried about pushing during delivery and I was hoping for a c-section.  I consulted with my OB and my neurosurgeon and they consulted with each other and came to the consesus that there is no reason that I could not try vaginal delivery.  They were right!  I delivered both kids natural(even without epidurals  :)  You'll be surprised how your body just takes over and naturally takes charge of the delivery.  Good luck!