Author Topic: Pregnancy post AN surgery  (Read 15075 times)

Emer

Re: Pregnancy post AN surgery
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 03:39:48 am »
Hi again,
Things have gotten more confusing since my last post! I actually managed to speak to my neurosurgeon and he told me I can have a vaginal child birth if I want to - no risk of a bleed or anything like that. Now I have more options, I'm even more confused :-( they could have told me this 8 months ago and I would have had lots of time to think and prepare and decide. Now I have 6 weeks. No-one has mentioned anything about the pain from the soft spot in my skull.
Have any of you got soft spots in your skull? I know procdures can vary greatly in the US whereas here, its one way and that's it, so I have a hole in my head still (and alway will). Its has become less sensitive over the last 3/4 years but I'm still very aware of it. The last time I tried to push (not a baby!) the pain was so intense I thought I was going to black out.

eek - I'm so confused. ???

SKT

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 06:37:26 am »
Emer what sort of procedure did you have?  I'm not sure why it is so painful for you. Was it translab?  I have been curious about this topic myself.  I don't know any AN sufferers who have had a baby....so the next best thing is to talk to women who have given birth. My sis in law told me that the pushing really comes from your lower body, not your head.  Anyway, that does sound bit simplistic but apparently she swore that you don't feel the kind of pressure on your head that you feel when you sneeze.  I too feel the sensitivity on that side of my head (translab) but it's more just a crampy sensitive feeling, not pain. 

I feel for you.  Are you terribly against a c section?  Maybe that will just be best for you so that you don't have to worry about your head.

Emer

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 07:17:49 am »
I'm not very familar with AN terminology so I don't know if what I had was called translab. They went in, took a 3 inch circular piece out of my skull, took out most of my >5cm AN (the rest of it died away itself) and then sewed me back up! They left the piece of my skull out to allow for any swelling (every so often in the early days it would bulge out). They told me sinews and stuff like that would grow across it and it wouldn't be as sensitive (which it isn't) but as I said any sort of pushing hurts like hell. I heard that during child birth you shouldn't be pushing with your face or head (thats the wrong way) but its just such an "unknown". I was perfectly happy with a c-section all along but now that the choice is mine again, I'm not sure what to do for the best. I'm seeing my gynae consultant this evening so I'm hoping he can advise me now that we have some new information. I'll post up as soon as I can to let you know what he said.
I'm in the science industry by profession and I can't handle all these unknown variables ;D

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 08:22:50 am »
I had vaginal deliveries for both my children, with epidurals, and I pushed over 30 mins with each of them, I did not notice any head pain, I too have uncalcified area's in my skull and I did not notice any head discomfort during delivery or afterwards, my orginal surgery was 8 years before the birth of my first child and I consulted my neurosurgeon pre-delivery and he said there is no reason I couldn't deliver vaginally (my OB thought I needed to have c-section until he got a report from the surgeon).
If you want to have a vaginal delivery....go for it, if you're so afraid of head pain you may have a labour that doesn't progress and or push ineffectively (subconsciously holding back) so you have to be committed to it.
My labour wasn't progressing the first delivery as I was so afraid of the pain of the actual delivery, once I had the epidural and knew I wouldn't feel it, all went well. It wasn't something I was thinking consciously at the time but it was there in the back of my mind. I can clearly remember asking my OB during my preg. how painful delivery would be his responce was "it's nothing like the pain of brain surgery" and I can also remember yelling at him during the delivery "This ain't brain surgery ya know!" (indicating that I found it more painful.)..but looking back now it wasn't, I was just really nervous.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

SorchaC

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 03:30:34 am »
Hi, I see Jana's post where she has had her kids post op and vaginally... however.... did you have the "hole in your head" as Emer did and I do from the retrosigmoid surgery....
I am hoping to get pregnant soon and am 3 years post op... still get massive headaches which are partially controlled by painkillers which I will have to stop as soon as I get pregnant.... sneezing or any kind of a strain or jolt can set off a really bad headache.... which is why I worry about a labour..... especially as there is a history of difficult births in my family... I'm just not sure I could go through the double pain of labour and being ripped apart by that as well as feeling like my head is going to fall off.... at this point even going the guts of 9 months without anything more than paracetemol seems ominous....
Any ideas..... I'm 33 and really can't leave having children much later...
Thanks

Emer

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 04:27:16 am »
Hi folks,
Well I'm a much happier camper today then I was yesterday! I had a good long chat with my consultant and we debated everything out. Bottom line is that we're opting for the c-section route. He made the point that if a stubborn bowel movement can cause me that much pain, then pushing a baby out will be 10 times harder. Of course everyone is different and even every pregnancy for the same woman is different but for me, in this situation, the c-section is the way to go. He said if I did choose the vaginal route and found at the last minute that I couldn't push, at that point he'd go for a forceps delivery over a c-section but given the choice he'd rather skip the middle man so to speak! He said the pressure in your skull does increase, even if its only to a small extent during pushing (lots of people end up with bloodshot eyes) so if I know in advance that my skull hurts, then its not worth the risk. I'm completely happy, now that the decision has been made, thats the hardest bit over (I don't think!)
Congratulations to all of you with beautiful babies and best of luck to all on the road, or on the way to the road! I'll let you know how I get on (in 5 weeks eek!) and until then, thanks for all your advice and encouragement.
Emer
xoxoxox

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 02:53:38 pm »
Emer,

Congrats on the news and thrilled you were able to work it out and bring yourself some inner peace... just remind me not to drink the water you all drank! Rather enjoying being the single one... BUT, I have no qualms about being "Auntie Phyl" :) Already have 3 nephews and 1 niece! :)

Best to all you moms!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

SorchaC

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 08:22:40 am »
Hi Emer,

Did your have your AN out with Danny Rawluk at the Beaumont?.... In my previous post I assumed you did ... and that is why you and I both have that rather painful hole in the head... and it's true strains, including sneezingand coughing really do hurt... and it's one of my big worries with getting pregnant.....

All the best,
Sorcha

Battyp

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 09:46:35 am »
Sorchac reading from your early comment I'd opt for a c section like emer did.  Why put yourself at risk for something worse with pushing?  Why do you have a hole in your head from retro?  They put my skull back in place with titanium screws. 

Before anyone else says it:  Yeah, I guess that's why I'm a little screwy   :-*

Emer

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 09:28:00 am »
Hi Sorcha
Yes Danny Rawluk was the main man for me  :D
As far as I know, they leave the bit of skull out to allow for post-op swelling. Often I felt a "bulge" post-op but this hasn't happened in a long time. I'll let you  know how my c-section goes, but I would try not to let that put you off if you're ready to have a baby otherwise. There are plenty of ways and means and other than the delivery, my surgery has had no effect on my pregnancy whatsoever. See there is life after brain surgery!!!!

Best of luck
Emer

Battyp

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 11:18:18 am »
Emer we've not heard of any baby news..how are you holding up? Are you getting close?  Please keep us informed on how you are doing..we all went to be honorary aunts! (or uncles) ;D

Emer

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 07:26:11 am »
Hi honorary aunties and uncles to be :)
I'm doing very well thank you. Baby bump is getting bigger by the hour and the walking incubator (as my husband calls me!) is happy and relaxed. My c-section is planned for this day 4 weeks (please God) and I'll definitely keep you all posted on how things go.

Take care
Emer
xoxox

Battyp

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 08:08:57 am »
I'm so excited for you!  Life will change as you know it but...for the most part it's a blessing (except when they become teenagers lol)

So you're going to have an Easter Baby...Please keep us posted when you're precious bundle gets here so we can all celebrate and oooh and ahhh!

Emer

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 08:03:07 am »
Hello Honounary Aunties and Uncles
I'm delighted to report baby James Thomas (Jamie to his friends!) was safely delivered into the world by c-section on the 4th of May 2006. He weighed 8 lbs 1 oz and was 21 inches long - I use the past tense cos he is growing in front of my eyes  :D
For all of you considering a c-section, it was fine. Yes you're sore afterwards and you have to take it easy but hey after all we've been through its a walk in the park! Everyone who uses this site is a fighter and a survivor so we can handle anything!!!!
Thanks for all your advise and encouragement over the last few months.

Lots of love
Emer and Baby Jamie (named after his 2 grandads) ;D

Battyp

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:47 am »
Congratulations!

How exciting!!  Now you must  post us a picture of our new nephew! ;D