Author Topic: Pregnancy post AN surgery  (Read 15074 times)

SKT

Re: Pregnancy post AN surgery
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 07:32:29 am »
Emer, so happy for you. Congratulations.

themis1982

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 11:15:42 am »
Angela, you are a brave woman. Props to you! I could never carry a baby so soon after surgery. Did you have a lot of balance problems?

Hi,
I had a completely normal pregnancy and a vaginal delivery only a year after my AN surgery!  I thought I was dreaming when I found out I was pregnant only three months after my surgery!  I called my surgeon's office and was told that there shouldn't be any complications with having a child after AN surgery.  They said if I felt too much pressure in my head at the time of delivery, that a decision could be made to have an immediate C-section.  I felt no difference with this birth with my body than I did the first two times I had children!!  Not only did I get a beautiful girl, after having two boys, she was born on my birthday, within two weeks of my 1 year "anniversary" of my AN removal!  The most precious gift I've ever been given!  She has helped me recover tremendously!  Best wishes!  Feel free to contact me if you'd like to chat more!
--- Angela

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 05:27:58 pm »
Sorcha: I have the big hole in my head and delivered both my children vaginally and pushing (no forcepts) and everything went just fine. Yes I had a headache afterwards but so does everyone. My point is that it can be done and is not that much worse than it is for the rest of the female population.( now remember through my first was born 8 years after my surgery)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 04:38:58 pm »
I had surgery in 2004 and i have a soft spot behind my ear which hurts if i push to go to the loo ;). I also have an ABI which is in another hole about 2 inches above the soft spot. My fiance and i are trying for a baby and this pushing business has been on my mind. After reading all this i'm to go for c-section when the time comes. Also i have had tumours removed from my spinal cord which has left it very sensative and painfall. So i think csection will be for me. But i will disscuss this with my NF2 consultant.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2006, 07:20:11 pm »
RattieLady: You have NF II correct?   Do/did you have/had spinal tumor/s as well....have you discussed how the added weight of being pregnant will be for you? Will you have to be on Bedrest in the latter stages? Have you had a consultation with a genetic's doctor before making this decision to have a child....not that having NF II is the worst thing in the world but what are the odd's a child you have will inherit this? I went to see a genetic's guy before having my son to find out if I had NF II (that is to get his best guess if I did or not) because I couldn't imagine trying to raise a child/ learn sign language myself and teach the child that as well in the event I became deaf one day in effort to stay alive.(mind you with gamma knife isn't the hearing preserved?, so with having that one wouldn't become totally deaf.)
Kathleen
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:21:57 pm by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006, 05:36:30 am »
RattieLady: You have NF II correct? Do/did you have/had spinal tumor/s as well....have you discussed how the added weight of being pregnant will be for you? Will you have to be on Bedrest in the latter stages? Have you had a consultation with a genetic's doctor before making this decision to have a child....not that having NF II is the worst thing in the world but what are the odd's a child you have will inherit this? I went to see a genetic's guy before having my son to find out if I had NF II (that is to get his best guess if I did or not) because I couldn't imagine trying to raise a child/ learn sign language myself and teach the child that as well in the event I became deaf one day in effort to stay alive.(mind you with gamma knife isn't the hearing preserved?, so with having that one wouldn't become totally deaf.)
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,
Yep i do have NF2. I've had one lot of spinal tumors removed but i still have more  on it. No added weight hasn't been discussed with me. We did discuss with the genetics doctor about the chances of my child having NF2. They said it would be a 50/50 chance because my fiance hasn't got NF2, also they said that they can do a test on the baby early in the pregnancy to find out if the baby has NF2, we will be given a choice to continue with the pregnancy or not. I'm now 100% deaf but i don't do sign language because i have what called an ABI [Audiotory brainstem implant] This gives me 70 hearing. I works by sending the sound straight to the brain. It's not the same as normal hearing, it's like beeps andtone tones at different pitches and volumes. If someone talks to me while i'm not looking at them i can't understand a single word, but lipreading and the ABI together help my understand whats been said. The hospital i had it fitted at fit people who have NF2. There's only 2 of us from that hospital that have the ABI. If our child ends up with NF2 they will fit our child with one. If our child has NF2 i could not,not give that child a chance.
I'm seeing my NF2 consultant next month and i will discuss everything with him. All i want to do is be a mum, and i'm not letting NF2 stop that. One lady i know who has NF2 knowS a woman who's had 4 children and none of them have NF2. It started and ended with her.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Lisa Peele

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 03:53:07 am »
Just an update...

Bridget Claire

arrived at 5:48 p.m.

July 23, 2006           

5 pounds, 18 inches

I had no problems during the pregnancy, labor or delivery relating to the AN/surgery!

Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

cookiesecond

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 04:28:55 am »
Oh Lisa, Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Babies are such a blessing! Enjoy!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 06:42:03 am »
Congratulations!  It's nice to see fabulous news like this. 

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2006, 09:34:58 pm »
Congratulations!!!

Ellen
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm