Author Topic: TransEar fitting done, next setup  (Read 23589 times)

Boppie

Re: TransEar fitting done, next setup
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2006, 10:01:34 pm »
I don't notice change in the tinnitus with the hearing aid.  But tinnitus has not been a complaint or issue that caused me to seek a hearing aid.

I attended a week long quilt convention at the George Brown Convention Center in Houston...about 1000 vendor booths and as many quilts.  Four convention halls, three floors of people, classes, stuff to buy, and things to look at, and food!  I stayed 2 days in a Hilton and 3 days in a Hyatt Hotel.   At least 60,000 people attend at my last reading in the late 90's.  I've been doing this for 26 years in November.  It is my annual vacation treat!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:07:26 pm by Boppie »

amymeri

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 02:27:46 pm »
Boppie

I am reading this with interest because in social situations I find it would be helpful to have an aid for my SSD.  I considered BAHA but don't want surgery.  I have to use a stethescope at work and wonder if the transear would make that impossible?  Or is it far enough into the canal that I could rest the stethescope just in my ear?  Or is it easily removable so I could wear it socially but not at work (my SSD isnt much of an issue at work as the majority of my interactions are in a quiet exam room).
Thanks!
Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Boppie

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2006, 06:28:47 pm »
The pickup receiver (microphone?) for the TransEar sits outside the ear canal at the top tip of the lobe (shell). The transfer unit plugs up the outer canal and sits flush with the head.  You'd not be able to put the stethescope arm there, no space.

Yes, this would work in social situations.  Once you've had the TransEar insertion training you can easily insert or take it out and put it in a carry pouch.  At home you'd place the entire unit in a Dry and Store Case to allow it to sanitize and dry itself overnight.

amymeri

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2006, 07:21:09 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I find that it is only in group social situations that I notice the SSD so haven't been annoyed enough to persue surgery (and the bi-cros this is not for me) but this might be a perfect solution!!
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Boppie

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:54 am »
I had an adjustment sitting for my TransEar this morning.  The audiologist smoothed a few spots on the resin transfer mold and I am still very satisfied with the sound I am getting from the aid. I just wanted to report on the adjustment since I believe most TransEar users will need to anticipate some fitting adjustments when the unit is brand new.

Boppie

« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2006, 08:53:51 pm »
MRI today and one year followup. The tumor is out of there!

My neuro seemed pleased that I have sought a hearing aid and found something to make social life more complete.  His statement was, "any aided improvement of hearing for my deaf side was a good thing".  He had offered a BAHA a year ago, and I had turned it down for my own reasons.

I went to the MRI and doctor's appointment without the TransEar today.  I thought taking it out and putting it back in would be too much trouble.  But, I was wrong about leaving it at home.  Once again I ended up doing the do-si-so with my walking companion in the hallways, and I couldn't pick up all of the road sounds in the car.  I missed that! 

My husband said, "Oh! how quickly she changes her mind." ;D

matti

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 09:06:02 pm »
YEAH!!! Congratulations on the MRI results ;D   Hope you celebrated!!

I have a one week delay in getting my TransEar, so my new appointment is scheduled for this coming monday.  I am looking forward to eliminating the do-si-do from my daily routine lol

Thanks again for all your help :-*

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50