Author Topic: TransEar fitting done, next setup  (Read 23592 times)

Boppie

TransEar fitting done, next setup
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:41:52 pm »
I had the hardware insertion practice session for my new TransEar this morning.  No problems so far.  The unit fit my "small ear canal" with just three trials and adjustments.  This afternoon I go back to get the settings done with their software.  It is digital. 

I will update this evening.

matti

Re: TransEar fitting done, next setup
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 03:04:07 pm »
I am excited and looking forward to your update.  I have an appointment this Thursday with my audiologist and I am armed with questions a mille long.

Thanks,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:36:07 pm »
I have the TransEar on and it works fine.  It fits in my ear canal very well and with a minumum of adjustment to its size for my "small ear".  Actually most of the sanding had to be done on the canal probe skinny section, and not on the end part that has the big works inside.  I can hear a little bit on the phone with it too.  But I'd need another program setting for more phone use on that side.  So far, the audiologist has me set up for near conversations and group settings (which allow more filtering of background).  So far, I noted that when the audiologist sat in a char beside me and spoke softly and I could converse with her without turning or looking at her face.  My husband and I walked to the car and he stayed on my bad side this time.  We talked the whole way.   No do-si-do.  Next I am going to take an evening walk out to the street edge and talk with him there. 

TransEar was very good to work with.  They supplied the software and hookups for my audio to program me in.  They expressed my unit and software so that I could have the aid in time for a big convention I am attending next week.

I have photos of me wearing it if any of you ladies would like to see them.  I can email pics if you send me a personal and your email address.  I'd be glad to answer back here if you want to ask something I didn't address.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:02:43 pm »

Boppie:

Congratulations! 

It is interesting to me that the audiologist told me I have near perfect hearing in my left ear so I don't need help.  The ENT doctor said that I might be getting a device for hearing help.  This was before my MRI when the ENT doctor had just seen my hearing test.  I had a second test that scored the same.  (then the MRI)  I didn't see the ENT doctor locally after that.  The next step was the consultations with the surgeon and the radiologist.  From what I learned, the CK will probably finish off what I have left of my hearing on the right side.

You have come a long way.........good for you!

Again, thank you for sharing so much.

Palace

22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 07:14:40 pm »
Boppie keep us updated!  matti and I are going on the same day to the audiologist and we want to be armed and dangerous!!!
 ;D

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:25:41 pm »
Sounds like great news, Boppie!  I'm excited to hear how it works for you in the weeks to come.  My insurance is changing November 1.  Then I will make an appointment with an audiologist.  How did you get your audiologist to try the Transear with you?  I know mine doesn't currently deal with it.  What are some of the questions that I should be asking?  Matti and Batty, let me know how your appointments go.  I'm looking forward to being able to have some hearing on my left side again.  Boppie, I'd like to see the pics.  My email is jeanlea2002@yahoo.com.  thank you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 07:47:04 pm »
The ENT who initally diagnosed me stated that I had near perfect hearing in the good ear too.  But since translab he referred back to the pre-op hearing scores and noted that my upper frequencies on the good side were "not so perfect".   But the TransEar still works with what I have left.

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 07:52:53 pm »
When I put my finger in my good ear, I hear the Transear side.  It sounds like a telephone voice, just normal clear phone.  Please note I don't mean a buzzy or fuzzy transmission.  Of course, the two sides are heard by one side simultateously, so one doesn't actually hear the "phone " sound coming through.  Putting my finger in my good ear just confirms that I am getting input that is "benefit" to my overall hearing.  I doubt very much, this has any effect on finding the direction, however.  More on this as times goes by... ;D

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:19:12 pm »
Hi,

Amazing....

Could you hear anything out of your "not good side before all this?" Am wondering what level you had before An treatment and also what level you were post treatment for your An. Along with whether or not your hearing loss was a combo of conductive or sensorineural  loss or one or the other etc. as that would help anyone else contemplating this ,  in quite a few ways few ways.  (sorry about that.... I  now went back and read your posts pre this hearing thing and I do apologize for having missed some of your posts. .. so does this mean you had some operation in your ear? to get this thing to work? you mentioned a small ear canal... if this is already on the bd and i am asking questions already answered here, i'm apologizing and asking where to find all this.... thanks!)

So glad your hearing is so much better. Good for you and your docs. And wishing you and all , lots of good listening forever.
Way to go.

This is great.

Windsong

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 08:27:24 pm by Windsong »

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:20:52 pm »
Boppie,

I will be interested to read about your progress in different scenarios.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 11:18:25 pm »
Windsong, to answer a few questions for you and others.  Pre-op I was told I had "good hearing" in the good ear.  I had a long standing hearing loss that developed over a period of 8-10 years.  However as I sang soprano and alto in a choir by ear, I always assumed my "hearing" was acute.  In the most recent (past) 4 years I was given hearing tests in my GP's office and I was told I had aging tinnitus and aging hearing.  Well, you never could've proved to me that hearing was a problem just the darn tinnitus.  After treatment for numerous URI's and congestion I was sent off to the ENT because finally the PCP said "one sided hearing loss is more than just aging".  From then on is history.  I had hearing at the brain stem and through each cochlea but the An had destroyed my right hearing nerve.  Pre op my hearing tests showed 10% db loss in the highest frequencies on my good side and 65% loss of capacity on the AN side. 

Post translab I had few complications.  I had late onset rt. numbness of the eyelid, nostril area, lip, and tongue.  All of these complications followed a quick progression of healing by 10-11 weeks post op.  The tongue and taste buds recovered almost completely by eight months.  Tongue has issues only once in a while at ten months (now). 

I decided to go for the TransEar.  No, I didn't need any kind of surgery or procedure to get the TransEar to fit.  I have a very small ear canal and the people at TransEar were concerned that their unit would not go into the canal all the way to the bone area.  The audiologist makes an impression of the whole ear canal, sends the result to TransEar and they build the very individualized unit which consists of a probe made of firm clear material.  This unit houses a vibrating conductor which communicates with the Behind-The-Ear digital receiver.  The vibrations from sound on the side of the head are conducted through the skull to the good cochlea. My unit slid into the ear canal (after a little refinement with the grinding equipment in the audio's office).  So my ear canal at the tympanic membrane is not too small after all.  The first bend of the outer canal is small.  Once the unit is fit right, it feels comfortable and inserts well.

The unit functions like a BAHA, I guess.  But the BAHA requires surgery.  I don't know exactly how they compare in quality. I tried the BAHA test band.  The sound was great but I didn't want more head surgery or anesthetic. 

So far, I've tested the TransEar one day.  I liked hearing my husband's voice as he walked on my TransEar side outdoors.  I had a conversation with my audiologist as we sat side by side in chairs, she on my TransEar side.  I heard every word of the soft conversational tone.  I did not have to look at her face.  I can hear the TV with the TransEar and an ear plug in my good ear.  It sounds like a digital cell phone on the stand alone basis.  Of course, when I hear sound mixed with both the good ear and the TransEar, the "cell" quality is not discernible.  I can tell when the aid is off so I am getting a benefit from it.  I don't think I know directions from it.  I still have tinnitus. :P 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:26:20 pm by Boppie »

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 12:22:18 am »
Boppie - thx very much for the detail.

i'd like to know how you get on in other noise environments, particularly if you can shut off the noise if you need to.

cheers

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 07:29:45 pm »
Boppie,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Trans ear with us. I think the manufacturer needs to give you some kind of discount as you seem to have become their spokesperson on the ANA forum. I am very curious to know if you have tinnitus on your bad side, and if so, how bad is it. Can you describe what your tinnitus sounds like and then describe what effect the Transear has on it. My concern is of amplifing bacground noise, along with the tinnitus makes it so hard to hear anything. It will be very interesting to watch your progress with this new device. So far it sounds great.
also, I'd love to see the picture, I'll send my email to you.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 07:31:25 pm »
oops, hadn't read through your last reply to windsong, guess it answered my question on if you had tinnitus or not. Just curious then as to how bad it was and how the transear works with it.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Windsong

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 07:43:52 pm »
Boppie,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply here. I do appreciate it.

I will ask my neurotologist about this hearing device next time i see him. Before my An was diagnosed, in fact a few years before, I did get a hearing aid but it was not all that useful for me. I wanted to try it even though they told me it would not work all that well as I had both sensorineueral and conductive loss.

In my humorous moments I realize what i needed then was  the An diagnosis earlier lol...

Keep us updated on your experience. Is the tinnitus heightened or is it less noticeable with this trans ear device?

It's good to hear  a positive experience re hearing help without having to have an op.

All the best,
Windsong