Author Topic: TransEar fitting done, next setup  (Read 23581 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: TransEar fitting done, next setup
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 06:56:47 am »
Boppie,
I am so happy for you!  What a difference the Trans Ear is making for you.  When I finally went for my annual hearing test (I really didn't want to go to hear that I was SSD).  I asked the audiologist about it.  She had never heard of it and was looking into it for me.  It has been two weeks and I haven't heard from her yet.  I may start calling other offices to see if they have it.  Thanks for all the info.  I've been reading every bit of it.
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

trudy

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 08:08:27 am »
Oh goodie...more positives..can't wait for my appt.  Got changed to the 9th.  Anyone who's insurance doesn't cover their aid might want to go through the hassle of vocational rehab.  If it will help you maintain employment, or get employment they will cover hearing aids.  That is who is sending me for mine since my insurance wouldn't cover it.
I have a question for you - I don't have insurance coverage for hearing aids so am interested in
your comment regarding the vocational rehab.  Will they allow you to choose the Transear as opposed
to whatever they are willing to pay for.  I understand the Cros is much less expensive while being
much less effective and am curious whether or not they push the cheapest aid rather than something
like the Transear.  Have you told them this is what you want - is that possible?  Thanks, Trudy

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 09:21:33 am »
Trudy,
My insurance doesn't cover hearing aides either, BUT, they do if it is a quality of life senerio.  The doctors think it is. So do I.  Have your doctors write to the insurance company.  Boppie's husband suggested it to me so I called and asked the insurance company and they said yes, if it surgery or an appliance that benefits the insured with a better wuality of life it is paid for. It is worth a shot.  Good luck.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

matti

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 09:34:06 am »
One other thing I forgot to mention regarding TransEar, they offer a 30 day, 100% money back guarantee. I have extreme head/ear sensitivity, so much so that all of my reading/sunglasses have the arm removed, so I was very happy about the return policy.

Brendalu - You are absolutely right, I had similar issues with my insurance company and because I lost my hearing as a result of the AN surgery and had perfect hearing before surgery, they were willing to pay.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 10:48:58 am »
I found no significant difference between the quick quotes for the Cros/BiCros and the TransEar.   

The Bi/Cros benefits those who have one deaf ear  plus need of correction in the good ear.

Yes, Matti, I have the 30 day money back guarantee for my TransEar, minus a deposit.  I think this is universal for hearing aids.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:44:45 pm by Boppie »

nannettesea

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 11:14:40 am »
Thanks for all the info on the Trans Ear.  My surgeon hasn't heard of it, but I'm checking with the audiologist when I see her in 2 weeks.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Battyp

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 07:34:35 pm »
To my knowledge...won't have my appt until the 9th of November they do not dictate what type of hearing aid to give me.  They will give me whatever the doctor recommends that will benefit me.  I was told a quote of 3500 for the cross so sounds like the transear is in the same ball park.  Funny when I asked my insurance company about paying for hearing aids they told me under no circumstances is that a covered event..wonder if I was told wrong?  Doesn't matter as now I have no insurance anyway  LOL

Boppie

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 01:04:19 am »
Please don't shoot the messenger...

I want to be perfectly honest with you since I've said much about TransEar so far.  If you know that you can tolerate having an object pushed inside your ear canal, fine.  Some people don't want intrusions in the ear canal.  My friend, who was born without hearing on one side told me this tonight at choir.  He senses pain when someone touches his ears! 

If you get one of the orange ear plugs and push it way into your bad ear canal and leave it there for a few hours, you'll know how it feels.  If you don't mind that, then you'll be ahead of the game in the audios office at fitting time for a TransEar.

The other side of the coin is the BAHA implant.  I have some problems with that idea, so to each his own. 

The Cros/BiCros will be in my future since my good ear hearing is not 100%.  I am happy we have choices and there are 30 day trials for hearing aids.  Something new is always coming along. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 08:00:10 pm by Boppie »

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 07:57:48 pm »
Thx Boppie,

I'll try the ear plug demo and see how it feels. I guess you get used to it.

I was at dinner the other night and really struggled to hear the conversation. Pardon was used a lot and then i had to turn my head to try and har.

Got to do something soon i think. Am watching this post with interest.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

matti

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 08:23:37 pm »
Hi Boppie - Great advice, I will start prepping my ear for the new arrival ;D

How was the TransEar at the convention you attended?  Have you had to go back to the audiologist to make any adjustments? Still pleased with it?

hugs,
Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Randy

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 08:21:18 am »
Hi Boppie, I was reading your post on the TransEar.  I have not heard about this before.  I had AN surgery about a year and 1/2 ago.  I am deaf of my right side.  I still experience dizziness, but other than that I am doing great. I had a few questions for you about the TransEar.  Is this something that will aid only with partial hearing or does it help when there is total hearing loss in one ear like I have?  I was told about a Trans CROSS device.  Have you looked into that or heared of anyone who has had one?  I was wondering how well they work.  I went to my ENT yesterday and he gave me some information on the BAHA.  Presently I am seriously considering the BAHA.  Again, I was wondering if you looked into that or have heard from those who have had the procedure done. I'm not in any rush to get it done, but I do like the idea of being able to hear things that are coming from my right side.  It sounds like you are happy with your TransEar.  I'm glad it working for you.  Thanks for your input.
Randy  

matti

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:46 am »
Hi Randy - I have single sided Deafness (no hearing nerve) and just placed an order for a TransEar. It works on the same principal as the BAHA, where sound is conducted through the bone, but without the surgery. I believe the cros is more beneficial to those who already have some hearing loss in the good ear. I was not a candidate for either the BAHA or the cros, the BAHA because I still have extreme head sensitivity and the Cros because my good ear has perfect hearing.

There are a few members on here that have the BAHA and I am sure would be more than happy to give you info.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 06:23:31 pm »
Cheryl, 

Since the convention ...
It was wonderful to having the hearing summation from my deaf side.  I attended a craft class where 21 ladies introduced themselves and said a few words while standing at their seats.  I heard every bit of it.  I stayed in the class for three hours and heard all of that too!

Having had some issues with ear canal sensitivity, I am seeing the audiologist to have the transfer canal insert adjusted Wednesday.  The insert is made of resin and it must vibrate against bone of the middle canal (second bend) opening.  My fit is just tight enough according to its design, but I have such a small ear canal that my jaw bone pinches a tad when I move.  So  I am off to the adjustment grinder.  One of the questions I had to answer at the meaurement session was "Did I have TMJ?"  Well, never had any, but ...  I will know more Wednesday evening when I return. 

I can't say enough about the cooperation TranEar has given me on getting a custom fit. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 06:28:21 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2006, 07:44:29 pm »
Hi Boppie - Happy that it went so well at the convention, which would certainly put TransEar to the test and it passed with flying colors ;D YEAH!!!!

I took your advice and have been prepping my ear with a plug. I do have some ear sensitivity, so hopefully this will help lessen that.

I get my TransEar on the 13th and after reading how well it is working for you, I am more excited than ever.

Thank you!
Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2006, 09:40:03 pm »
Oh boy...I've been using ear plugs and they don't bother my ear.  Would hate to have something attached to my head!  How does the transear work if you have tinnitus in both ears?  I think my hearing in my right ear was fine just the pesky extra noises.  I used a drill tonight and my goodness...never ever ever drill without ear plugs.  Bad idea.  my head was spinning from the sound. 

Boppie what kind of convention did you go to?  Sounds like it was a fun one!