Author Topic: TransEar fitting done, next setup  (Read 23587 times)

Boppie

Re: TransEar fitting done, next setup
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 08:52:13 pm »
My TransEar has not altered my tinnitus.  I have the humming and rattling type of sounds all of the time.  Post op is worse than pre op.  I just ignore it and "Donmensionit", as we say with the babies. :D

Correction:   A few other details on the new aid...The TransEar has settings for background noise control, gain control, and volume control just like the other digitals on the market.  The audiologist uses software to program settings for your individual needs.  I have two programs.  One can design one to four programs with the TransEar. The ear probe on the end of the mold is custom made to vibrate against the bone.  The works for the transfer unit reside in the outer housing of the ear mold.  The volume and program selectors, the processor, the receiver, and battery reside in the BTE unit. The BTE part is very small.  It fits very well hidden and over glasses that have a slender side piece. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:13:08 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 04:42:21 pm »
I visited with my grandsons today and could listen to them them without turning my head to hear their five year old "language".  I had dinner out in our favorite Mexican restaurant and my husband sat across the table from me instead of his usual seat on my corner right.  Also, I heard everything the waiter said from my TransEar (He was on my right).  I feel quite pleased having regained some part of the "old normal" me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:55:21 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 04:57:29 pm »
I am not getting a credit, commission, or payoff for speading my good news.  I am just getting happier. :D

Jeanlea

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 06:14:05 pm »
I emailed a local audiologist.  This was his reply.

"I am aware and have reviewed the TransEar system.

I am trying to collect information from other clinics regarding their interaction with the company and feasibility of working it into our clinic.

I will let you know when I make a decision."

I will be looking for someone else to work with that is more interested in helping me.

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 06:43:39 pm »
Peggy, my audiologist went to my ENT with the request that the account be set up with TransEar.  It has to be a licensed audiologist who has an in house connection to the ENT.  The ENT has to sign off on your deafness.  Regular ear/hearing dispensers cannot deal with TransEar.  Check this out with TransEar.  They can help you find someone.  If TransEar can send your ENT some info. maybe that will open the door.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:26:19 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »
I had a revelation tonight while watching the cars whiz by on the street (dry pavement hissing).  As the car passed the sound was still evident on my deaf side, when before hearing aid I wouldn't have heard it as much. 

I have two new normals, "summation" and the tingling sensation of the transear vibration inside my ear canal.  I am thinking I have the beginning of sound location on the deaf side.  This is claimed on the TransEar site...not sure what to conclude yet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:12:01 pm by Boppie »

matti

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 07:43:17 pm »
Boppie - Thank you for the updates and the photo's, you have been VERY helpful. I can't wait for my appointment tomorrow ;D

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »
Boppie,

Thanks again for all the research you are doing for all of us.  I am so excited.  Tonight I talked to someone who works with hearing aids.  (She's related to my sister's husband.)  She is more than willing to look into Transear for me.  She hadn't heard of it yet.  I was happy to let her know.  Things are starting to look up.  The doctors she works with are all in my new healthcare network which also covers hearing aids.  I am hoping that this may just work out for me.  All thanks to you, Boppie, and the other wonderful people on this forum that are willing to share their information. 

I'll be watching for further updates.  Good luck to Mattie and Batty.  (Gee, sounds like there could be a Dr. Suess story in that.)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Obita

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 07:45:53 am »
The TransEar sounds so promising for us SSD's.  Thanks Boppie for all the updates.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

TT

• Tenor Sax in stero; nothing better
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 10:59:20 am »
Boppie,

Today marks 9 weeks since the surgery and I'm still having a difficult time getting used to SSD. You offer hope and I truely appreciate the time you take to clearly explain your experience. In one of the posts you mentioned a convention. I have to attend two conventions back to back in Las Vegas next month and I dread it because of the hearing issue It will be six days of excusing myself and asking perople to repeat waht they said. I hate it. At least I see a glimmer of hope for the future. Mr doctor suggested to wait until my next vist in December to talk further on hearing aide devices. He mentioned the BAHA; however he didn't promote it and after telling me the proceedure and $25,000.00 price, I immediately ruled it out. Would you mind sharing an average price tag of the TranEar and the possibility of insurance coverage. I know the BAHA is not covered.

Thank you,
Terry

2 cm AN - right side
Diagnosed 6/22/06
Retro. procedure performed on 8/24/06 / SSD
Dr. Peter Smith & Dr. Robt. Backer
St. Johns Hospital - St. Louis, Missouri

matti

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 02:09:08 pm »
I met with my audiologist today and after a long discussion, I decided to get the TransEAR. She has fitted several patients with it and all are extremely happy. She loves the options that TransEar offers as opposed to Cros  for ssd when the other ear has perfect hearing.  TransEAR is a great company to work with and she knows our TransEarXpert, Rick, very well.

She did 2 impressions of my ear canal and said it  was on the small side, but it should not be a problem. Non AN ear canal is much bigger. I get my TransEar in 2 1/2 weeks and at that time she will add the software and I will most likely return a few times after that for adjustments. The cost is $2,700 and this includes all office visits and software. My insurance willl pay 1,750.

I have been hesitant about getting a hearing device because I was worried that once I did, something would come along that was alot better.  My audiogist said that because SSD is such a relatively small percentage of the hearing impaired, manufacturers don't focus on us. She has been an audiologist for over 30 years and said this device is remarkable.

So needless to say, I am very excited, I know it won't give me what I had pre-AN, but I think it will make life a little easier.

Cheryl

Thanks again Boppie!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:03:56 pm by matti »
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 03:08:59 pm »
I am glad you know your audio and get positive information from her.

That was timely, huh?  Yes, I attended a large group meeting today.  I could hear the committe reports from the floor and didn't need to stand up nor turn my head.  I attended a craft workshop and just enjoyed the flow of conversation so much.
I only wore the aid 4½ hours today.  I am working up on the wearing time.  Just like having a new pair of contacts. 

Did your audio mention anything about the Dry n' Store unit TransEar has.  To my surprize my aid came with a Dry n' Store included in the price.  This is a big help towards cleaning and sanitizing the aid when it isn't in your ear.  Hopefully, you'll get one too!  TransEar makes both products.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:36:26 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 03:12:18 pm »
Price should be somewhere between $2,700. and $3000.   I don't know how that would work out on insurance payout.  I don't know how the ENT or audiologist charges.

Battyp

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 05:23:47 pm »
Oh goodie...more positives..can't wait for my appt.  Got changed to the 9th.  Anyone who's insurance doesn't cover their aid might want to go through the hassle of vocational rehab.  If it will help you maintain employment, or get employment they will cover hearing aids.  That is who is sending me for mine since my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Boppie

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:28 pm »
Boppie - thx very much for the detail.

i'd like to know how you get on in other noise environments, particularly if you can shut off the noise if you need to.

cheers

Yes, Larry you can reach up and turn the whole unit off without having to remove the piece from your ear canal.  Also, you can select a different preset listening evironment with similar ease.