Author Topic: 2 weeks post op questions  (Read 8345 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Re: 2 weeks post op questions
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:45 am »
Oh dear, I'm having translab and I'm definitely a side sleeper. What exactly makes it uncomfortable to sleep on once the incision has healed?
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Cheryl R

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:33:00 pm »
Just general tenderness in the area since nerves and muscles  are affected with the incision.      The pressure of laying on it can hurt and can be different for each person.  Can be some swelling for a time or for some isn't.     There can be numbness.       I've had surgery on both sides and it varied in time for each side.  I've had both mid fossa and translab.     Now can't remember which was longer before could be comfortable sleeping on that side.    I know sometime it was weeks.      It was March 23rd 2006 when had the translab so 6 yrs ago and then the darn CSF leak and back in again.     That was the facial neuroma surgery.    Hard to believe it's been 6 yrs.           Tried  more than one position with different pillows so could even lay for a short time on the surgery side as got tired of laying on the other side and my back.                                      Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 01:15:29 pm »
Thanks guys. I had retro & I feel a small squishy lump behind my ear on the top part of incision. Not painful and there is no leaking. Could have been there right after surgery?  Im just now getting nerves to touch it. Its not big  I just don't know whats normal.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »
Mindy, my neurosurgeon explained to me that as the occipital nerves rewire I will be feeling a lot of strange sensations. You are only 2 weeks out, so I think that what you are feeling is entirely normal. It took me much longer than that to get sensation on the back of my head, and when I did it felt really funny. For example I touched my head on one spot and it felt like I was touching another spot. Remember that the muscle and the nerves have been cut, and nerves need a lot of time to regenerate. Also, as swelling subsides your head will feel differently.
I must say that I still cannot sleep comfortably on my AN side (and I am a side sleeper). It doesn't hurt, but it still feels weird.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:16 pm »
Manders, in answer to your question on why it's hard to sleep on my AN side, It hink a lot of it has to do with the fact I had all the surgeries for my BAHA.  I had the original surgery, then it didn't heal right, so I had the abutment taken out and then another surgery to cover it all up to heal my scalp. That right there was a lot of stitches.  Then another surgery to put the abutment back in.  So that's probably why my scalp just feels werid on that side, even now.  Plus I like sleeping on the good side cuz my mostly deaf ear is up and I can't hear anything which would wake me up, so its my own little ear muff, so to speak!! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »
So, Jay, it sounds like for you it was more of the BAHA surgeries than the translab making sleeping on your AN side uncomfortable. I'm hoping and praying mine doesn't bother me after surgery. I'm already a restless sleeper and that would just be one more thing to keep me up at night.
I'll have to be sure to ask the surgeons about that at my pre-op sesh next week.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
Manders, I had Translab 9 weeks ago tomorrow.  I am a side sleeper and started trying it within a week post op.  I think after 2-3 weeks it didn't bother me much and now not at all ( sleeping) subject.  I have no head aches, no facial problems.  My left taste buds are still funky, but no big deal.  Just tell yourself it's just a couple of weeks for some of the tough stuff.  And really, what is a couple of weeks in the big picture.  who are you having operate on you? 
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:17 am »
Stephanie,

I'm already psyching myself up to be prepared for the first few weeks following surgery. I know they'll be the biggest hump to get over and it'll just get better from there. I guess I got a little concerned when I heard others say that they never really got comfortable with sleeping on their AN side again. I can go a couple weeks without doing that but not forever. lol I'm glad to hear you were able to go back to sleeping regularly on your side.
I'm having surgery at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Woodson and Dr. Gonzalez-Martinez.

tx-anp

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 08:15:19 am »
I'm at 4 weeks post Translab surgery.  I still have a few bumps around the incision area and some numbness as well.  Besides that I feel pretty much back to normal.
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »
Tx-anp >:D
I had surgery March 7th so im 1 week behind you. Im back at work & doing good. Where did you have surgery? I had mine at House. Dr. Friedman & Dr Schwartz both are.very good.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

tx-anp

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 06:31:52 am »
It took me about 3 weeks before I could sleep on my side where I had the surgery.  It's pretty much back to normal for me now at 4 weeks.  I always liked to sleep on either my side or my stomach.  It was uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach as well because of where they took the fat out.  The only problem I found now is that when I sleep on my stomach and my good ear is on the pillow I can't hear my alarm clock to get up for work.  That's not good...  :)
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 08:30:36 am »
Re: not hearing an alarm .....

I found the ring tone called "Digital" on my iPhone will wake the dead so I use that ..... but I also have a Shake Awake alarm that I can clip right to my pillow, for those occasions where I dare not oversleep (air flights, etc.).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011