Author Topic: 2 weeks post op questions  (Read 8367 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
2 weeks post op questions
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:07 am »
I am now just over 2 weeks post op and seem to be doing fairly well.  ;D I do have a few questions to those post op vetrans. My incision looks good. Seems to be healing nice but I'm wondering how long does it take for the small amount of swelling I have to go down? It is not a large amount. I emailed Dr. Friedman and asked and he says maybe 1 month. Not much help there so I figured I'd ask all of you guys.
I guess I just don't know how it should feel 2 weeks out....LOL

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 2 weeks post op questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:09 am »
Hi Mindy .....

I had minor swelling for quite some time ..... don't remember how long now.  The main thing to watch for is redness and/or pain in the incision site (tenderness is normal, but not severe pain).  I pulled a couple of stitches out a month later.  Funny story:  I saw Dr. Friedman in Cincinnati (ANA Symposium) a month after my surgery.  While there I felt something really hard/sharp near the incision so I asked him to look at it.  He told me it was a stitch and would work its way out.  Sure enough, about a week later it was out far enough to pull and out came a piece of black thread.  Never had that happen with the two previous surgeries.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:49:36 am »
OMG Clarice. Was that a stitch that should have dissolved or a stitch that got missed when they take them out? I have no pains other than the normal aches and etc. I had a nurse that I work with look and the incision looks good. No redness. Slight swelling around the incision which from what I had read here and what others said is normal. I have been sleeping on the incision and laying on it just like normal and it feels fine. I guess I am just curious. LOL
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:32 am »
In my case swelling was gone in 3 to 4 weeks. I did have numbness in the area above my ear, not  around the incision. The surgeon advised that the numbness was scalp nerves involved in the craniotomy and it would go away. It has improved as I do have some feeling now and the numb area is about half the size it was 5 months ago. It was really numb for about 2 months.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
My swelling only lasted a few weeks - the numbness was what stayed with me for a long time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:08 pm »
Mindy ~

Based on my experience and from what I've read from other AN surgery patients here, Dr. Friedman's estimate of about a month for the swelling to go down seems accurate.  However, in my case, it was well over six months, post-op, before I could comfortably sleep on the incision and about a year for the incision site to regain near-normal sensation (numbness abated).  It's fine now (almost 6 years later) and I never think about it.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »
Mindy,

How are you doing otherwise?  How is the dizziness?  Did you say you're back at work?  You seem to be in pretty good spirits two weeks post-op. 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 02:08:04 pm »
Hi Lisa. Yes I went back to work today. I did leave 2 hours early due to fatigue but otherwise it went well. My dizziness is getting better. I am still unstable when I get really tired. I still do not turn my head back and forth quickly. I am improving. Like to doctor says walk walk walk. I seem to be doing well. One day at a time.  ;D

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »
Jim
I am able to sleep on the incision. I was able to after they took the stitches out. I'm a stomach / side sleeper so I kinda forced it but it never bothered me when I tried so I lay on it. I do hope its safe to do/??? Nobody said I couldnt? I believe I remember the nurses in the hospital saying they encourage it. I am very numb. Numb numb numb....LOL

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »
That's so great to hear you're back to work after only 2 weeks! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do? Is it a desk job or are you up and about? And are you driving as well? Sorry to pester you, I'm just hoping I'll wind up with similar results. It sounds like you're doing exceptionally well. :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »
Manders it is not a bother to ask questions. I have a desk job. I work as a medical receptionist at a clinic. So I do not lift or bend 90 degrees. I also work as a CNA but I only pick up shifts when I have time. I know I cannot work as a CNA until probably mid next month or when I feel able to do so.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:25:54 am »
Dang... I was impressed that you were back to work after only two weeks... I took off two months and probably could have used another month, but I am on my feet a lot and it's night shift so that's a double whammy there! Just goes to show everyone that not all outcomes are equal and your results WILL vary! It took a few months for my swelling to go down as well, and I always slept with AN side up...even now, after 2+ years it bothers me to sleep on that side...i've just gotten so used to it! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:20:50 am »
I'm a medical receptionist too! What a coincidence. :)  I agree with Jay that two weeks does seem really quick but aside from the fatigue I don't think sitting at my desk at work should be too taxing. I hope not anyway! I also teach Zumba but I know that it's going to take much longer than 2 weeks for me to be able to start that up again.
Jay, you mentioned that it bothers you to sleep on the side you had your surgery, why is that? Is it painful?
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:12:25 am »
Going to chime in here on the sleeping on incision side comments .....

I'm wondering if the type/place of incision has any bearing on sleeping comfort.  My first two craniotomies were retrosigmoid (one on each side) and I slept on the surgery side almost from the very beginning with little or no discomfort.  However, my third one was translab and it still (at 10 months later) is not very comfortable sleeping on that side.  I do sleep on it because my back and shoulder get sore if I stay on one side all night, but I much prefer sleeping on my good side.  Not sure if it is also partly because I like to sleep with my deaf ear (surgery side) up ..... much quieter that way.   ;D

All of my doctors said it was OK to sleep on the surgery side as soon as I was comfortable ..... that it would not hurt anything.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »
Thanks for chiming in Clarice. I guess what type of approach you had makes a difference. I had retro like you so I don't find it uncomfortable. I can imagine it would be with translab.