Author Topic: Taste  (Read 4334 times)

trev0024

Taste
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:16:59 pm »
Has anyone experienced a change in their taste after surgery? I am just one week post-op with an obvious decline in my ability to taste food. I also have dry mouth, I supspect both of these issues are likely related to narcotics? Intially I reported to my doctors a numbness behind my teeth and roof of my mouth. They related this to be intubated and pressing from the tube. Just curious if this is common or something that I need to investigate further.

Thanks

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Taste
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:27:13 pm »
Jeremy
Lack of taste could be from steroids. I have numbness due to the tumor being on my trigeminal nerve.  I believe what you are feeling is normal. Try searching here.
Hope your recooping well.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Archer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »
I had weird taste after my surgery.  Everything sweet tasted like it was sweetener rather than real sugar.  Everything else had a copper taste to it.  The Dr.s didn't seem surprised at all.  They had heard it a lot the way it sounded ot me.  By six months post surgery I was either used to the change or I got my normal taste back.  Everything tastes normal now. 

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
You are very early past surgery and can have a whole range of odd tastes, feelings around the incision area and odd noises till the swelling goes down and what will be normal is more clear.      Many have a metallic taste( or copper in your case) or foods do not taste right.    It can vary due to the meds,anesthetia and how the nerves were affected.     I always had poor appetite for a time and hard to find any foods which tasted good.         So hang in there,it will get better and hard to be patient when thinks they should be all better now.                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sterry

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »
Sorry to hear about your taste being off.  I am 2 1/2 years out and I still have a "weird" taste in my mouth.  Mine is more salty on the left side on my tongue, sometime feels like it is burning or burned. I chalk it up to nerve damage ??  The dry mouth is actually a bit better, I use biotene it helps.  I hope yours goes away with time.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

tx-anp

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:58 am »
I had translab surgery 4 weeks ago.  My taste has been off on some foods/beverages but it seems to be getting better lately. 
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

trev0024

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:38 am »
Thanks everyone.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

Lotty mac

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:29 am »
Hi terry,
Hope all went well for u? I am nine days post op and just commented on the same thing to my hubby, I am leaning towards cold food and things just don't taste the same... I'm guessing it is a result of the drugs etc and will settle soon..

:)

trev0024

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:16:33 am »
I have done some research on this. The facial nerve supplies taste to the anterior 2/3 of the tongue.  Since I have a facial schwannoma I suspect my loss of taste may in fact be due to facial nerve injury from surgery. Hopefully not.

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:09 am »
Hi Jeremy
I hope your recovering well. Do you still have facial function? They didn't cut the nerve right? Give it time. I think it will come around. I had TN involvement so my tongue is numb. I have faith things will get better.

Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

trev0024

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 09:52:15 am »
Hey Mindy, my facial function is pretty good. The professionals grade this on what is called the House Brackman Scale. I am at level II which is described as-

Slight weakness noticeable only on close inspection
Complete eye closure with minimal effort
Slight asymmetry of smile with maximal effort
Synkinesis barely noticeable, contracture, or spasm absent

Really not a big deal as long as it doesn't get worse. Learning to live without constant worry. Several positive things have come of this for me. Stronger marriage, stronger faith and closer to friends and family recently. Just an example of how pain and struggles are meant to teach us and provide growth right?

How is your recovery going? I am so surprised you are back to work already, that is great.  Keep in touch. Let my know how those pheasant counts look in ND this spring! Hunt near Regent every year.

Jeremy

New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:04 am »
Good to hear your doing well. My recovery has been good so far except 1 week after I stopped steroids I started to get constant under eye flutters. So for 6 days now constant. Above my eye started and my cheek. You can see it if you look closely. I can see it in the mirror. Embarrasing. No facial weakness. I called yesterday and talked to Dr. Ho whos works with Dr. Friedman and he gave me a low short dose of steroids. He didn't feel twitching should get a high dose. *sigh* I emailed Dr. Friedman this morning because this low dose is not working and he is calling in a higher dose. He anticipates it will resolve. I sure hope so. Other than that I have no complaints.
I too have developed a stronger marriage, family, friends and faith  ;D

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
Hi.  I am 9 weeks post and still have half my taste buds bland and dryness on that side too.  My surgeon said that my facial nerve was bruised during surgery ...very typical, and that over time it should heal and that should get these sensations back.  Wasabi, hot sauce, and musterds are my friends.   ;D. I am ever greatful to have a fully functional face however, and if my buds stay bland, it's totally doable.  I hope everything else is going well...:)
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!