Author Topic: D Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MRI TODAY  (Read 48209 times)

crv1200

D Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MRI TODAY
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »
I am quite nervous to be going for an MRI tomorrow 3/6/2012.  I've been seeing the ENT DR and we tried everything to treat the hearing loss and other symptoms and nothing has worked.  In face it is worse.  I have all the symptoms of an AN and he does not want to do anything else until we make sure I don't have an AN.  I have researched on this website and others and my DR did not want me to do that before he thought it was scare and some of it has but I still wanted to be informed.
My hearing loss is at 30% now and my symptoms are getting worse and now I am having headaches and pain when I chew.   I am a singer so you can imagine how this has hit me hard.   I do not want to list all my symptoms but it's scary and I know it's kind of rare that I would have this tumor BUT I've had 11 major surgeries in 12 yrs for other things and could give a long list of things that are RARE that have happened to me so LOL you can imagine.  I would like to hear from someone that has been through this and what symptoms did you have prior to diagnosis?  Please.

Ray
P.S I am a 52 yr old male and the hearing loss in my left ear started in Nov,2011
My history with both ears prior has been a ringing for as long as I can remember and
the right ear I had other allergy related issues and have been in Singulair for that for 4 yrs.  But that was not nerve damage nor a hearing loss so completely different.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:27:42 am by crv1200 »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Having MRI tomorrow to check for AN.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:37:23 am »
Hi Ray and welcome.

Keeping fingers crossed that the MRI does not reveal an AN.  There are SOOOO many different reasons for sudden hearing loss (there is even a syndrome called Sudden Hearing Loss) and here's sending you wishes that the MRI is clean and that your doc can provide you answers.

Please hang in there... .and yes, stop reading too much right now until you get the MRI results.  Please keep us posted on the MRI outcome.

Good luck with the test!
Phy
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sharondaniels

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:12:34 pm »
Here's hoping that it is not an AN Ray!!  Mine was diagnosed in Oct.  Symptoms for me was fullness in my ear, incessant ringing for the last 5+ years. (thought that was just a product of getting older..of which I self diagnosed thanks to the wonderful www!)  and I began to think that I might have some hearing loss so I went to an ENT.  80% loss in high range, 30% in the middle and 10% in the low.  He recommended an MRI and mentioned a rare benign tumor that he wanted to rule out.  So, the rest is history...... On Dec. 1st I had Gamma Knife.  Now we wait for a six month check.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Sharon
 1.5cm AN right side diagnosed 10/12/11
 GK 12/1/11 at UVA
from VA

LisaM

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
Keep us posted on what you find out!
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
Hi, Ray.

Just wanted to say that I hope your MRI goes well and also that you have to take what you read on the Forum with a grain of salt.

Yes, there are scary stories here, but everyone's AN Journey is different.  Someone else's experience may or may not be like yours. 

You also have to remember that lots of times those who don't encounter issues post treatment don't hang around the Forum for an extended time to post about it.  There are exceptions - like me  ;D - but the majority come here to discuss their treatment options, symptoms, side-effects, etc. 

Remember there is life after an AN - and the majority of the time it's fantastic!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

crv1200

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:58:28 am »
I went to have the MRI and even with the open MRI I had a panic attack., in fact I never made it past the helmet, when I laid down and put my head in the bottom part of the helmet with the earplugs, she put the headphones on, I could not breathe!  I felt I couldn't breathe which I have anxiety but never this bad, I freaked out so they could not proceed.  I am waiting for the ENT Dr's office to set up another where I would be under general anesthesia.  He thought I would have problems and I did too but I wanted to at least try.  I felt like a loser with a big L on my forehead but the tech's were very kind and said it's so so common.  Oh well.   Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. 
I will post again when I have a new appt.

Ray

lizzie1hoops

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:14 pm »
Hi Ray,

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulty with the MRI, as if you don't have enough to worry about!  Don't feel like a loser, MRIs of the brain are very claustrophobia-inducing.

I'll be thinking about you and hoping the MRI is the worst of it!

Liz
5x6x11mm right sided AN.
Surgery (middle fossa), Dr. Backous, Swedish Neuroscience, Seattle, 1/12/12 after 6 years W&W.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:30:33 pm »
Hi Ray, sorry you experienced that but I don't think it's that uncommon.  I know, I have to have Valium before I can even go sign in for my MRI.  The first one I had in 2008 at a hospital was a horrible experience much like yours however they wouldn't let me out until they finished but the one I had in 2011 was OK.  Now I'm just waiting for my next one in May wondering how I'll get along with it since the new doctor is making me go to a different facility. 
Good luck with the next one.  It's good to know that they can /will work with patients.
Don't feel bad or beat yourself up.   ;)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

crv1200

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »
Thanks again everyone.   They know they will have to give me general anesthesia.   I've had 11 major surgeries in 12 yrs so they have to bring out the big guns to even knock me out, valium and such are like taking an aspirin for me.   I took 2 xanax before and it did not help because I take 1 to 2 a day .5 dosage for anxiety when needed so my body is used to it.   I figured I would need to be knocked out.  I had a regular MRI for abdomen and pelvic in 2008 and they had time with me, I freaked so bad but we finally got it done.   So general we think is the only way for me with the head MRI.  and Yes let's hope that's the least of my worries!

Ray

crv1200

Re: Ear has taken a turn for the worse.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:06:25 am »
I woke up in the middle of the night with my ear.  The loud roar is twice as loud now and I have even less hearing in my ear.  I won't be able to stand much of this and I will be crazy.  I am still waiting for them to reschedule my MRI so I will be under general anesthesia.  Please pray everyone this scares me.

Ray

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
So sorry to hear about your situation, Ray. I'm fairly new to all of this too and I hope that it turns out that it's not an AN. You've definitely found a great support group here!
However, I just read your last post and, not to scare you or anything, but that roaring is exactly what I experienced when I lost my hearing back in 2007. It started when I went to bed on a Thursday night and by the following Monday I had completely lost my hearing in my right ear. I know you've been experiencing hearing loss for some time but when mine finally escalated to total hearing loss that's what happened. Again, I certainly don't want to alarm you and I'll be praying for you, but my advice is don't wait if at all possible. I know there's probably not too much you can do but I would hate for you to completely lose your hearing if it can at all be prevented while you still have at least some.
Best of luck!
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

HisHands

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 11:30:53 am »
Ray, I'm sorry your woke up to a fearful change in your hearing.  I have experienced a sudden change in hearing and various "noises" in my ear before, and it can be frightening.  For me, both symptoms would stabilize after a period of time.  I find mine is typically worse when the weather is bad, I haven't had enough rest, or when I've experienced more stress at work or other situations. 

You may want to call your ENT in the morning to report the difference in your symptoms since your last MRI experience.  You asked for prayers and be assured they are coming your way to bring peace to your mind and that the fears vanish.  Emma
Emma
1.5 x 1.5 x 2cm AN in left ear;  MRI 11/16/2011;  GK on 12/16/11

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

crv1200

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »
Thanks Emma and Manders!   Manders you did not scare but you told me what I already was thinking.  NO one wants to come out and tell me what this sounds like because everyone wants to keep me positive and I am praying so hard and believing with all my being it is not AN but honestly I am scared.  I know the symptoms and I have them all and this change over night is what happens when it is growing so that scares me.  I know whatever the cause is I will survive..   Oh did I mention I am a very well known Gospel Singer?  I had to cancel a concert this weekend due to being sick and I lost my voice for a few days on top of the ear issue, but it is very hard to sing right now with my ear the way it is, I do not want to retire from my music because it is what keeps me going.   I write all my on material.  I guess maybe it might be time to write about the hearing issue itself? LOL  Anyway., thanks everyone and PLEASE always be honest with me.  I came to this site because I wanted to know more as I face the MRI whenever it is and compare my ear issues with others so I wouldn't feel so crazy for thinking what I do.

Ray

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »
Rest assured that whatever happens with your hearing you'll certainly be able to continue on with your music. Actually, the day that my hearing completely vanished I had a choir concert that night and in spite of my insecurity about singing, my choir director assured me I could do it. And he was right. It was certainly a new experience and I could tell that my mind was processing sounds differently but I could still hear more than well enough to hear myself and stay on my part and in tune. Music is a really important part of my life too and I think that was one of my biggest fears when I lost my hearing, that I wouldn't be able to hear well enough to sing or play. But you'd be surprised at how well the human body is at adapting and over time you'll certainly find ways to compensate for whatever hearing you may lose. But let's hope for the best and that you can hang on to as much of it as you can! And, also, the rushing noise didn't last that long for me. Maybe around a day or so and then it quieted down. I have had tinnitus for the past five years but it's usually fairly unnoticeable.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

crv1200

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:57:01 pm »
So Manders are you scheduled for surgery?