Author Topic: D Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MRI TODAY  (Read 48208 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Re: Ear has taken a turn for the worse.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:00:27 am »
Yes, I'm having translab performed on May 11 at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Woodson & Dr. Gonzalez-Martinez.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

crv1200

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:40 pm »
I spoke with the scheduler today and hopefully tomorrow I will have a date for the MRI under general anesthesia.  I also left a voicemail for the Dr's Nurse about the change with my ear.  The DR is in surgery all day today.

Ray

crv1200

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:09 pm »
Manders I wish you all the best for your surgery and I will be praying for you.  I read your blog and you are quite honest in it and that is very refreshing.

Ray

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 08:56:14 am »
Thank you, Ray! And I'm glad you liked the blog. I do try to be as honest as I can. I don't see a point in fabricating things or acting like I'm super woman because that's no help to anyone.
Keeping you in my prayers too!
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

crv1200

Update for MRI
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
So the earliest they can get me in for the MRI under General Anesthesia is April 25th at 10am.  That is over a month a way!  I am like good thing I am not dying or so no one thinks.  I have to see the ENT before than too so that on March 27th.  I am like this is way to long for me to wait with my nerves already a mess and my ear is worse.  Please.   Dang it.

Ray

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 01:26:35 pm »
I know exactly how you feel! Once I found out that I had an AN and had decided on surgery to remove it I wanted to get it taken care of ASAP. I met with my doctor and made that decision on February 15th and my surgery is scheduled for May 11th! I think the waiting is the worst. Once you know something's wrong you don't want to have to sit around and wait, you want action.
Guess we both just need a huge dose of peace and patience!  :)

crv1200

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 02:38:53 pm »
Manders you are so right.  I have little patience anyway.. LOL   But hopefully I will be fine.  If this roar in my ear gets so I can't take it I will just go to the Emergency room.

crv1200

New symptom since the roaring in ear got worse
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:58 pm »
Well I never thought that my upper lip going numb for many years now could ever been related to my ear issue so I've not mentioned it to the ENT but I will.  The newest thing happening to me is my tongue is feeling numb and food does not taste right at times.  Has anyone ever heard of such in relation to an AN?  I see I am going to have a hard time waiting till April 25th for the MRI., but some things I never associated with my ear and thought I was crazy, also my left side of my face tingles and feel numb but not all the time.

Ray

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:39 pm »
Hi, Ray ~

To answer your question from post#22; A few months prior to my AN diagnosis I developed a small 'numb spot' on the side of my tongue and my sense of taste disappeared to the point that I practically stopped eating and lost 30+ (unneeded) pounds.  This finally motivated me to make an appointment with my PCP.  He ordered an MRI and, as they say, 'the rest is history'.  Although there can be other reasons for your symptoms, the MRI scan results should tell you (and your doctor) whether or not they are being caused by an acoustic neuroma.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

crv1200

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:58 pm »
Thanks Jim for the information.   My ear continues to get worse.  I had to make a trip to Raleigh,NC from my home here in SC and it was total of 9 hrs driving in 2 days and the roar is my ear is so loud now that it's almost unbearable and I am wondering will need to go to the ER.  My ENT appt is not until next Tuesday on the 27th.   I am having too many changes in the last 2 weeks and more and more symptoms which is really scaring me.   

Ray

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:46 am »
Hello Ray
I had similar symptoms as you with the noise in my ear as well as tingling lip and tongue which went numb.
But please try to stay calm about your outlook.  It may be something to do with your hearing and not an AN (live in hope I always say  :))
If it ends up being an AN then you have all of us here for support, answers, and hugs along the way.  You are not alone and we'll tag along beside you every step of the way.

If you feel the need to go to emergency then please do it without delay.  It may get you that MRI sooner if you have to see someone in the ER.

Good luck mate.  Big hug from across the big pond in Australia.

Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
If it's any encouragement, I asked my ENT last week about my upper lip tingling off & on; area between lip and nose.  He said it wasn't related to my AN that the feeling was caused by the "sensation" nerve as in not the facial nerve.  Just thought I'd throw that out for what it is worth.

Good luck.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Cindyswart

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:25 pm »
Ray, I live in Fayetteville and my Doctor in in Raleigh. I had great results, AN on the right side, facial numbness, tongue numbness, balance issues and diminished hearing. My AN was removed 7 months ago and I am still plugging along.  PM me if you want doc info.

Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

mk

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:27 pm »
If it's any encouragement, I asked my ENT last week about my upper lip tingling off & on; area between lip and nose.  He said it wasn't related to my AN that the feeling was caused by the "sensation" nerve as in not the facial nerve.  Just thought I'd throw that out for what it is worth.

The "sensation" nerve is the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve V), which is different from the facial nerve (cranial nerve VII). Depending on their size/location acoustic neuromas may affect the trigeminal nerve, thus causing numbness, tickling or burning sensations, or in the worse case scenario trigeminal neuralgia. It is not very common, but it may happen.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

crv1200

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies it does help so much to talk here even though I do not know if I have an AN it is nice to have people who understand the symptoms since some of my family and friends think I am over reacting.  But until you start losing your hearing and all these other things happen you can not understand.   I currently live in the Greenville,SC area in a town called Greer.   Greenville Memorial Hospital is supposed to have some great neurosurgeons but I don't know myself.   I used to live in Raleigh for 15 yrs until I lost my job and moved to SC where I've not been able to find a job.  I would love to go back to Raleigh but that does not seem to be in the cards.   Right now it's confusing.  I have no insurance and the Greenville Hospital system has given my sponsorship so they would pay all the bill and will be on the MRI so for now I guess this is the place.  LOL   I am going to try and tough it out till Tuesday.   Can anyone tell me if weather like cold and dampness ever effected you?

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome even though I do not know if I have an AN.

Blessings
Ray
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:14:08 pm by crv1200 »