Author Topic: Amplification options  (Read 2917 times)

Smithair

Amplification options
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:35 am »
4 weeks post op tomorrow!  I've been extremely lucky with my outcome.  I had a 2.3 cm tumor that originated on the facial nerve.  8 hour surgery resulting in about 98% of the tumor being removed.  Dr. Brackman at the House clinic along his team did the surgery.  He says all indications it will not grow back due to no blood supply but if it does will be looking a Gamma Knife.  I don't like even thinking about that!  I had a translab with the balance nerve and hearing nerve cut so no hearing on the right side. 

My balance is improving daily and I'm thrilled with my progress.   I am a private pilot so losing my medical and being unabe to fly was a HUGE concern for me. My aero medical  Dr says he sees no reason why I won't be able to continue flying.  Fatigue is my biggest challenge now...I'm a Type A and quite frustrated as I get fatigued easily. 

A spot was found on the MRI that confirmed the AN which turned out to be a hemangeoma (explained as blood vessels gone crazy and eating away at the skull).  I had to have that surgery first which ironically has caused me more site pain than the AN surgery.  It was on the same side as the AN. 

The hemangeoma was on the right temple area and I was amazed at the size incision that had to be made...the AN surgery incision starts where the hemangeoma incision ended.  I have quite a unique hair style now. 

My question is....  already having 2 surgeries with 2 titanium plates in my head on the same side...the thoughts of a Baha implant give me great stress. 

Does anyone know about external hearing aid type devics available and anyone have experience with them.  I'm not totally ruling out the Baha I just need more time to heal from these 2 surgeries. 

Thanks! 

3 cm AN. Translab Feb 2011 House Clinic. Brackman. SSD. Ongoing balance issues  Soundbite Feb 2012 Private pilot returned to flying Jan 2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Amplification options
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:23:55 am »
Welcome Smithair!

WOW, what a ride you have had with your cranial surgeries!  So glad you are in the recovery phase now ..... prayers that all goes smoothly and you are soon back to flying.

Balance and fatigue or common things we share with each other so hang in there ..... it does get better!

Others on this Forum are the "experts" on hearing devices.  Since I retained 20% of my hearing following surgery, I wear a WidexMind digital hearing aid with great results ..... not normal hearing, of course, but very useful in boosting the sounds I need/want.  Hopefully they will chime in soon.  Giant strides are being made almost daily in this field so just keep researching until you are ready to act.

I am following the hearing assists threads with great interest because I am in a regrowth situation and will most certainly lose the remainder of my hearing one way or the other.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Smithair

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
Thanks Clarice...  good info.   I'm very fortunate in that I work in the field of deafness, am a nationally certified sign language interpreter and also ...  my children and grandchildren are profoundly deaf!  (no history of deafness in my family at all).  All that said, I had no idea the reality of only hearing on one side..it is significant.

My job surrounds me with individuals who are deaf and almost everyone signs...so I'll definitely be using that in my day to day operations...its the "other world" I live in that is causing me difficulty.  Restaurants and social settings.  I just had no idea the impact.  Especially my sensitivity to sound!   I carry around an ear plug when it gets too much.  Everything seems louder.  Does this get better with time??? 

Becky
3 cm AN. Translab Feb 2011 House Clinic. Brackman. SSD. Ongoing balance issues  Soundbite Feb 2012 Private pilot returned to flying Jan 2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:27:10 pm »
Hi Becky .....

WOW, you are unique in many ways ...... some great (a pilot, a sign language interpreter, a grandma, etc. etc.) and some not so great (two brain surgeries!).

Yes, I can identify with the hyperacusis (abnormal sensitivity to normal sounds).  I carry my musicians' plug (for my good ear) in my purse at all times ..... mostly use in loud restaurants, movie theaters, concerts, etc.  Sadly, this has not changed for me (at least at three years out).  My plug was custom ordered/fit by my audiologist.  It has a filter in it that currently has the medium (of 3) sound protection, while still allowing some frequencies to come through.  I have toyed with the idea of getting the strongest one put in, but decided to wait until I see where my new journey of regrowth is taking me.

You sound like an amazing woman.  You are just going through some proverbial "bumps in the road" (albeit big bumps!) of life.

Many thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »
I'm just trying out the TransEar.  After 2 AN surgeries and a 3rd lurking to repair some hardware gone abad in my head, I could not bear the thought of the BAHA surgery too.  This I know will not be as clear as the BAHA, but horpfully it will improve things. I get 30 days to try it starting today.  It is a bone conductor (like the BAHA)  you wear in the bad ear.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Smithair

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »
I will definitely check with my audiologist of a musicians plug. I'm carrying one of the little squishy ones at all times which helps alot but hard to hear conversations.  Thanks so much for your encouragement clarice!   Life sure takes us down some interesting roads doesn't it. 

Patti please keep us posted on the TransEar.    I'm anxious to know how it works for you. 
Becky

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
Don't be afraid of BAHA surgery.  It's ABSOLUTELY nothing like AN surgery.

My AN surgery was 7 1/2 hours, and 6 days in the hospital.  My BAHA surgery was about 90 minutes - at least 1/2 of that time was spent getting "draped" - and I walked out of the hospital afterwards.  I didn't have general anesthesia - had local - was wide awake and talked and joked with my neurotologist the entire surgery. 

BAHAs rock - don't let the thought of surgery prevent you from having one.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways