Author Topic: BP00/BP3 Issues  (Read 4618 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
BP00/BP3 Issues
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:14:07 am »
Well, my BP100/BP3 went back to Cochlear for the 3rd time.  I was having beeping and terrible feedback.  I just got an email from my audiologist with good news and bad news.  Good news was that the BAHA was returned and she had it in her office.  Bad news was that several people listening with it continued to get terrible feedback when others were talking.  I'm glad it was not just me being over sensitive.  It is not the settings or program, because she tried adjusting that.  It's going back again before I get it again.  I'm beginning to think that perhaps the Oticon Ponto Pro would have been a better choice.  Many of you who have chosen it seem to be very happy and don't seem to complain about returns and issues requiring "fixing".  I'm bummed that the abutment is not interchangeable and there is no way I'm going through the surgery again.....at least not at this point.  I will say that when the BP100 is working well, it makes a big difference and I am glad I can "hear" out of my SSD side.  But the tweaking and problems and returns are not fun.  I know many of you have NOT had problems with your Cochlear devices, so perhaps mine is just a lemon?  Just venting.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kaybo

Re: BP00/BP3 Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:36:25 am »
I wonder why they won't just switch it out to see if it is a "lemon" ??   ???  That is so frustrating for you, I'm sure.  Sorry that you are having to go thru this!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:13 am »
I also have feedback even after it was reprogrammed. Along with the feedback everything sounds hollow. I am going to a Cochlear gathering here in Milwaukee tomorrow evening and see what they say,

Dalern,I remember reading one of your posts about yout BAHA beeping even though the battery was good when you were in Africa. I think I might have an answer. I found that when I wear m BAHA outside when it is cold, I am taking below freezing, it beeps. I looked at the specs and this is was stated.

The sound processor is designed to operate within the temperature ranges +5°C (+41°F) to +40°C (+104°F).
In particular, battery performance deteriorates in temperatures under +5°C. The processor should
not be subject, at any time, to temperatures below -20°C (-4°F) or above +50°C (+122°F).

our processors were operating out of spec.

Keith

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:21:18 am by keithk »
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:00 am »
Thanks for the input.  When I was in Africa, the temperatures were in the 80's and 90's, sometimes even in the 70's.  So, not sure that the temperature was a problem.  Especially because it has happened again here in San Diego.  We don't have freezing temperatures here!
thanks.
Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

moe

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:10 am »
Sorry about your frustrations with your BAHA.
I know insurance and all, but can't you get it REPLACED? I sounds defective to me (a lemon as K said) or will a replacement just give the same kind of problem???
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:30:45 am »
Good advice and that is what I will pursue.  Thanks.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »
Hi Dale,

Wow.  So sorry to hear about all of the feedback issues you've been having.  So disappointing and frustrating!  Sure seems like the best solution would be for Cochlear to just replace it.  I've only had  mine for a week, and so far it is functioning perfectly.  I haven't even changed the battery yet. 

The audiologist told me that, due to a mistake on their end, my BAHA unit did not get ordered when my surgery was done in November.  That ended up being good news for me because I ended up with the newest version which was released in mid-December.  According to my audio, this latest version has corrected a lot of the bugs.  We'll see.  I am loving it right now.

Hope you get yours back soon with all the bugs worked out.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Rockhammer

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »
Greetings fellow San Diegan, sorry to hear about you feedback issues with the BP100, I had them as well.  I had an intermittent static/crackle (like a Geiger counter) associated with some low frequency sounds, periodic random feedback and of course the false low battery beeps. When it wasn't generating its own noise and feedback it was solid gold, but I wasn't willing to settle for any type of feedback. Cochlear had my BP100 3 times and told me nobody else was having this problem (referring to the static) before I inquired about an offer to swap for an Intenso in January (I was borderline for the Intenso when I had my surgery in 10/09). I don't have a problem with the size of the Intenso, and while the sound quality is not quite as clear as the BP100 I have had no feedback or static at all (I think I am getting the false low battery beeps though). I know how awful it is being without your processor, but don't let them off the hook until your happy and feedback free.
Also, you do not need surgery to change the abutment; it is a 5 minute procedure in the Dr's office, no pain, meds, or anesthesia. I had to have my abutment changed to the (then) new taller one last January just before processor switch on to avoid skin overgrowth.
Good luck, Brian

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »
Well, here's my update.  I saw the audiologist and she told me she sent the BAHA back with a note requesting replacement.  I also called Cochlear and am expecting a call back tomorrow.  I am hoping they do just replace the unit.  I now have a "loaner"....a brand new BP3 and I have now been wearing it for 6 hours.  I have had no feedback or beeping and it is programmed exactly like the one I sent back.  So, most certainly it is the unit and not me!  Stay tuned.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

moe

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:52 am »
Yay hopefully you will just get a new one!!!
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:10:19 am »
Keeping my fingers crossed, Dale!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ksiwek

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:33 pm »
Good luck Dale!  That it frustrating for sure.  It sounds like everything could be taken care of with a new unit!?!?!

Also, for the abutment...I think that it is a minor procedure to change it.  Or am I off my rocker that the abutment is attached to the implant and can be switched?  When my doc thought I had to have revision surgery to thin more skin it was also discussed that we could switch out my regular abutment for a longer one or the angled one.  That leads me to believe that they can be interchanged????

Regardless, keep us posted!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:54 am »
OK. Here is my update.  I got several calls from different people at Cochlear today.  They have all agreed my unit needs to be replaced.  They were also able to hear the feedback when they tested it.  I just wonder why they didn't hear it before they sent it back all the other times!  But they are sending a brand new BP3, not refurbished.  They were able to put in the programming that my old one had been set for.  YEAH!!!  It pays to make a little noise when it's important.

As far as the abutment, I think you are right.  However, the question remains as to whether or not the Oticon abutment would fit on the Cochlear post.  That is the $64,000.00 question.  For right now, I am not changing anything.  The loaner BP3 has worked like a charm, and I am optimistic that my new one will as well.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks so much for feedback and support.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »
Dale ~

Congratulations on your successful effort to have your BP100 replaced by Cochlear.  A bit of a hassle (isn't it always?) but worth it, I'm sure.  Better hearing awaits!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 08:05:49 pm »
Dale -

sorry to hear about your issues with your BAHA.  Sh*t happens on occasion, but I've been working with Cochlear - both as a client and a volunteer for 3 years now - and they are known for making their customers happy.  Never hesitate to contact them when you have issues with your processor; they'll bend over backwards to rectify the situation.

On another BAHA note, I'm happy to say that today is the 3rd anniversary of my BAHA implant and I couldn't be happier with the results  ;D

I've loved my BAHA since the day I tried the demo in my neurotologist's office and I've never regretted having the surgery.  To commemorate my "special day", I made a contribution to the ANA in honor of my doctor (Dr. Battista). 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways