Author Topic: Question for TransEar users  (Read 3620 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Question for TransEar users
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »
HI There,
  Got my TransEar today.  The testing went well, I could repeat sentences using just the Transear side perfectly and my scores on the hearing test with it were really good. The problem is, it doesn't really seem like it's doing naything just walking around with it when people talk to me etc.  If I block my good ear, then I can hear the person speaking to me through the TransEar, but if I open up the good ear, it just sounds like it always does.  Not sure what to expect.  I have a 30 day trial.  Guess I was expecting a significantly noticable improvement.  Which it is if I block the good ear.   Will seee how it is when the kids get home and start talking to my back while I'm doing dishes, or from across the room. You know, all those fun things hearing people do to us. :o)
Any suggestions?

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Question for TransEar users
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
Sounds exactly like my experience. I don't consciously notice a difference, but everyone else around me notices that I'm saying "What?" a lot less when I'm wearing it.  :)

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:46:44 am »
Second day with the TransEar.  I wore it 7 hrs yesterday and think I over did it.  It was hurting so I had to take it out before the gang got home.  My ear was sore this morning and It hurt to try puttin it in. So I'm going ot hold off while I'm at home alone today and try wearing it tonight when everyone is home.  Hopefully, I'll notice a difference tonight. :o)

patti ut
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »
I got mine just before Christmas.  In some settings I don't notice a huge difference, but  I have noticed that I don't twist and turn to hear all the time.  Others have said that my speech is clearer.   ???  Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »
I gave it a good, long try. I got it it in August and recently gave up on it. It really didn't make enough difference to continue wearing it. It was a waste of money for me, but works for others. I hope it works for you:)
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »
I've had my TransEar for four years now. I can understand why you don't think there's any difference between wearing it and not wearing it.  When I'm wearing it seems like it's not really doing anything.  It's only when I have to go without for some reason that I really notice the difference. There have been times when there's been a problem and I think I can do just as well without it.  I always realize that I do not want to go without it.  There is a definite gain for me. It does get better over time. My brain seems to have adapted to it.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 02:03:48 pm »
Today would be my 4th day, I think my ear canal got brusied or something that first day as it is a bit painful to wear it now, and very difficult to get it in.  I wore it a bit last night and will try again this afternoon when most of the family is home.  I still am not noticing a difference, but kind of got a hint maybe I was not turing to hear the TV last night.  Maybe the improvement will be so suttle, I won't notice except when I'm not wearing it like others have posted.  But for sure, I am taking it back to ahve it adjusted. I think it is too tight in places. I also want them to turn the power up on the programing and see how that works.

thanks for the input.

patti ut