Author Topic: Symposium  (Read 25856 times)

ombrerose4

Re: Symposium
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:30 pm »
I will also be attending the symposium in June, and I am looking forward to meeting all of you forumites who have helped get me through this past year. Never would have made it without all of your support, advice and laughter! See ya in Cincinnati ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 09:52:45 am »
This is my first symposium and I have a question for those who have done this before - my daughter and/or my husband will come with me.  Do I need to pay full registration for them too?  Meals only?  I got the ANA newsletter in mail and from the registration form, I'm not too sure! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:15 am »
If your family is going to go to the meals then you have to pay full registration fee for each person.    I paid extra once for my husband to go just to the banquet and it was a very high fee so last year he did not go.       They also need to have paid the registration fee if going to the sessions. The one fee is for both sessions and meals.      I have had my husband go to just one NF2 session and did not pay but was just the one mini session.        Usually my husband comes and just does sightseeing on his own.         Our MI daughter came when it was at Disney World so they did their own thing over the weekend.          Not sure what is going on this year yet here and if he is coming.   So not sure if flying or driving.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:55 pm »
Hi Kathy .....

The way I read the registration materials (see:  http://anausa.org/index.php?option=com_anasymposium&view=form&Itemid=137 ) if you pay by Feb. 1st, your guest/spouse will pay $145 if you are a member of the ANA or $185 if you are a non-member.  Since ANA membership is $40, it makes sense to join.  It seems to me that there is no early benefit for day rates, except by May 1 and then it would be the same for you and/or your guest.  $145 is a bargain rate when you think about all of the workshops and meals it covers.  I have frequently gone with my husband to his conventions and the cost was way more and no meals included.

I have made our hotel reservations and sent in the registration for my husband and myself.  I am so glad you (and others on the forum) are coming.  The food at the Chicago Symposium was outstanding and well worth the money.  I will have to presume it will be equally so in Cincinnati.  I know the workshops and opportunity for networking will be worth it ..... not only with other AN patients, but with the outstanding medical professionals who will be there.  The neat thing is that it is just small enough that there are plenty of opportunities to talk with others.

Looking forward to June!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:05 am »
Clarice, thanks for mentioning the non member fee since I over looked that since I am a member.     The food has always been good at the last 4 symposiums.     They are always held at a place where conventions and conferences are held and know how to handle large group food.                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Eturnit

• The joy of the LORD is my strength!
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:12 pm »
Hello!  I cannot wait to go to the symposium!  It will be one week short of my 2 year anniversary of my craniotomy that was done by our hosts Dr. Tew and Dr. Pensak!  Woo hoo!  Because I live in Michigan, I have not been back since the surgery so I am so glad to see them and show them my progress.  Loved the staff at Mayfield Clinic while I was there.  If they run the symposium as well as their clinic, the symposium will be very valuable indeed.  ;D

Anyone else going from West Michigan that would like to carpool there??  Let me know!  You may PM me (My name is Kim!)  Happy VAlentine's Day!  

(edited by omitting personal email address. Folks can "PM" -- forum email -- you here. Thanks. Phyl)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:04:47 am by ppearl214 »

sunfish

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 08:01:02 am »
I registered this week too.  This will be kinda pricey, coming from South Carolina and all, but I'm thinking well worth it.  It's so important to stay really, really up-to-date on this condition.  Unfortunately, many time we wind up knowing more about this condition than some of our doctors who have rarely encountered patients with ANs in their practice.

Very, very excited to see you all!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

G_Man

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2011, 12:06:40 am »
Hey are you from Charleston Sunfish?  I'm interested to know what it's like living there.  Can someone who doesn't drive live there and have a good quality of life?
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2011, 07:10:51 am »
Well, there is a VERY good chance I'm going to Cinci for this one as a volunteer for the ANA (with intention of volunteering during the symposium for multiple activities).  Spoke to Capt Deb last night.  She is questionable due to recent ailments but.... am nudging her to register and donations for bail money for the 2 of us may be submitted to either one of us  ;D

Based on the agenda for this one, there are some workshops that were also presented in Chicago but some new that I am looking forward.  For the ANA volunteers, its a great way to learn more so we can better support all that venture to the forums/take advantage of the WTT list/attend support group meetings so we can be the best volunteer we can be.  What I also loved about the last one was the luncheon (where we marched in with Piratitude gear) and the dr's actually hunted down our table to eat/talk with us.  It was great to be able to sit with them and let us "pick their brain", challenge in conversation and see the true "human" side of them (esp. dropping food on their neckties).

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 03:31:54 pm »
It is looking like the hubs and I may be able to make it ti Cincinnati for the Symposium.  Yay!  So, I've lost track...who's going?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
Debbi~
Wouldn'tyou rather come to Houston and see Dave and me??

K   ::)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2011, 03:45:11 pm »
Kay, I'd rather do BOTH!  Are you sure you and Dave can't make it?  I'm going to miss you!!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »
Debbi .....

Keep pushing Kay!!  It's time for a party!!!

Clarice

P.S.  Truman and I are coming.
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:02 pm »
Seriously?  All you guys are going to make it to Cinci?

Are the JKL trio the only ones who can't make it  :'(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2011, 05:42:38 am »
Are the JKL trio the only ones who can't make it  :'(

So, I don't have to bring bail $ for the "JKL"?  Dang!  :'(  :'(

Will be great to see Clarice and Debbi again! :)  Cheryl, are you definately going?  And look at the new faces I will get to meet after corresponding for such a long time.... such as sunfish and kathym, etc......Still awaiting final word that I'm set to go. Will advise......
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"