Author Topic: Symposium  (Read 25836 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Symposium
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 08:13:18 pm »
I agree with Debbi, G Man.

It's not strange at all.  The symposium is definitely something to look forward to.

Attending is very worthwhile, both from a resource/information aspect, as well as a social aspect.

I spent a little too much time on the social aspect in 2009, but it's hard to fit everything in.  If I had my way, the symposium would last at least a week with 3 or 4 days dedicated solely to socializing.  The personal contacts you can make are incredibly helpful.  Just to interact with others who can relate to the AN Journey is very reassuring.

The Forum is one thing, but the symposium takes it to a whole new level.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 09:10:27 pm »
I, for one, am glad that you spent so much time socializing!!   ::) ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »
Yeah, me too - but there were so many sessions I completely missed.  Which is sad because I heard they were quite good.

I did hear Dr. Penzak talk about hearing "devices" and another audience member and I got to give our two cents worth on the BAHA.  I'm sure you know what I said  ;D

I also got to hear both my neurotologist and my neurosurgeon speak - at different sessions. 

I'd love to see the ANA set time aside during the weekend for a Forum get together/social event.  I know there is so much going on that it would be hard to do this but I think it would be great. 

Maybe if Phyl can convince the powers that be to make symposium 2013 in Boston she could also talk them into making a Forum gathering.

Are you listening, Dr. Phyl  ???

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 04:56:19 am »
Maybe if Phyl can convince the powers that be to make symposium 2013 in Boston she could also talk them into making a Forum gathering.

Are you listening, Dr. Phyl  ???

Listening more than you know :)  Noted.....
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 07:19:10 am »
...and SEPERATE from the Saturday night gig - it is wonderful but not a true social setting for interacting - a QUIET ONE where no speakers are talking!!  I'm still petitioning for Houston!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

G_Man

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »
It all sounds great and I'm figuring out how I'm gonna' go.  I'm wondering if there's a sweet spot in flight prices form NYC to CVG.  It seems like the agenda is packed.  I'll probably travel on Thurs. just to make it less stressful.
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Barb909

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 10:03:08 pm »
Hi all,

I am really looking forward to this event! I am from the Cincinnati area, just about 10 minutes south, but now live in Seattle. I may get a room at the hotel just to have some fun with this group, but my sister lives nearby so might be financially silly....but I've done silly things before! Anyway, it should be fun and informational. If/when I have to have surgery, these guys in Cincinnati will be my choice. They are good and I have family there.... makes sense.

I don't post much because I have not much to add, but I visit very often. I am so much looking forward to meeting all of you. Feel like I "know" you! And, I will be forever grateful for the information, support and camaraderie.

Barb

Feb. 2010    4 x 8 x 5mm
June 2011   4.7 x 8.9 x 4.0mm
May 2012    4.5 x 9.1 x 3.9mm
Sept. 2013   5 x 10.1 x 5mm
Feb. 2015     6 x 13 x 5 mm
In IAC near cochlea
Mild hearing loss, tinnitus
W & W, thinking about treatment

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:43 pm »
Barb -

I already met you in Seattle this past August. 

It would be great to see you again in Cincinnati.

Jan

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:51 am »
Well, I finally got around to making my reservations at the hotel in Cincinnati for the Symposium and will be sending the First Call registration in soon.  For those of you considering going, it is well worth the money not only for the information but the social/networking time of getting to know others who understand so well how you are feeling, etc.

The deadline for the First Call is February 1st for registrations at the lowest price.

...... and Kay, please reconsider and come (I'll skip naps to talk with you!!   :o :-* :-*)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tenai98

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:44 am »
I would love to attend but my son's wedding is the weekend before and I'll be partied out.  ;D But I sure am hoping Phyl has those magical powers and hold it in Boston for the following one. 
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:23 am »
Clarice~
It is not that I don't WANT to come, it is more the money aspect.  Last time, we used free tickets and we are all out of those and really won't be getting anymore!!  The reason why we got enough last time was from all our trips to Baltimore/Houston for my T3 and complications (& I do NOT want that again!!) and then just simply travelling to Houston to see Grandma.  Since we live here now - that travel is nonexistent!!  I certainly don't want pity, just stating the facts...since I don't work, our budget is very limited for things like this.  That is a choice that we have made - due to my energy constraints and our desire for me to be at home for our girlies!!   ;)

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 12:36:51 pm »
I understand perfectly, Kay, we have the same issue here. I stay home not only for the kids but also to help two recently widowed elderly mothers, one of whom does not drive and has lots of doctor appointments. Maybe we can Skype in to the festivities.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »
Kay ~

Many of us have to deal with financial considerations that preclude incurring the expenses of attending the bi-annual ANA symposium.  I'm one of them.  When you add up the fee to attend (I wouldn't consider accepting a free pass), air fare, hotel and incidental costs it is simply too much expense for us to take on at this time.  Because I have no intention of attending without my wife, the lovely and gracious Tina, that effectively doubles the cost.  Should the next ANA symposium be held somewhere within driving distance, say, Boston (2 hours away by car) or Manhattan (a 90-minute train ride from my Connecticut home), we would seriously consider attending.  However, for this year, we cannot.  However, I look forward to seeing the photos of folks I consider friends and reading all about the symposium here on the discussion forums.  Besides, the ANA Northeast Discussion Forum Brunch awaits, in April!   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

iluuvpups

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 05:03:28 pm »
Hi.  Is anyone from Southeastern Michigan going to the Symposium?  I'd love to share a ride instead of having to drive alone.  Let me know.  Thanks!  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

G_Man

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:16 pm »
Ok, so I'm registered, got the room, booked the flight.  All is good.  When I was registering I did put in for an "informational appointment" with one of the doctors.  Now the question is, What are those like?  DO I bring my test results? 
Thanks
Glen
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.