Author Topic: Symposium  (Read 25825 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Symposium
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:35 am »
The symposium food has always been quite good.      it is always at a big hotel who is used to catering large groups.     Breakfast is the usual fare.        A lunch Sat has varied and don't remember much about it but is buffet type where you pick what you get.     Sat night is a banquet with a speaker and standard salad,main dish, dessert.         Sun has usually been a brunch and mid am and breakfast with added type food.              Last year on Fri eve we had mini group sessions with various of the speakers letting us ask the.      A sandwich meal was provided.       Ones spouse can only eat with you if paid for the main fee for them.        Some times the banquet has let you pay just for it for the spouse but has been rather high priced.           
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:28 am »
Also, a group of us got together (from the Forum) the night before it officially started and all went & ate together - VERY fun!  Of course, this is not included in the weekend price, but a great way to meet all the people (some) you "talk" to all the time.  A girl from Chicago helped us pick a place...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

G_Man

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 10:47:43 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It all sounds great!!!
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Lizard

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »
Now you have me all interested!  I want in.  June seems so far away I can't imagine that the hotels are already booked.  I am fortunate to have family outside of Dayton about an hour away from Cincy so it might be feasible for me?  Although I'll have to see, will renting a car be cheaper than staying in a hotel?  Decisions decisions!  I'm also in it for the social aspect, but it would be great to hear some knowledgeable AN Dr's speak.
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cheryl R

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »
There will be a block of rooms saved for the symposium at what their special rate will be.      Last time I did not reserve a room till Feb and did ok.        So if one did not ask for a symposium room they might be about full.      We've already got a number of the rooms being saved for this "convention".                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Lizard

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 03:35:22 pm »
Good to know thanks Cheryl  :D
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »
I can't wait for June!!!  Jan, I am so looking forward to meeting you and all of my other AN friends!!!!  This will be my first symposium, so I will need details of where to be when.  I live only 2 hours away, and we are planning to come for the weekend.  Please let me know when you are getting in town and I'll be there!!!!!! 
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 08:56:04 pm »
If a picture is worth a thousand words, this link should be worth a cool million. It is pictures from the 2009 Symposium:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10294.0

Tells the whole story (except the parts that stay in Chicago...)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 04:55:11 am »
Fond memories, Steve!  Hopefully looking forward to Cinci and seeing many of you there!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:20 am »
In a word... "GO!" Why? The people...see my signature block at the bottom of this post. It was right about the middle of the Chicago symposium that the correlation between having an AN and intelligence/interesting-ness occurred to me.

Being a bit less of a social butterfly and more of an information geek, I attended all the sessions I could... absolutely wonderful information. The speakers were all very approachable and very generous with sharing their expertise. At the round table dinner, I felt very sorry for our speaker, she was so busy talking and sharing that she didn't get around to doing more than picking at her dinner.

Though not overly social, I also very much enjoyed meeting with folks from here and with folks I had never met in any format.

If you want to go ahead and reserve a room. Use the link off the symposium overview page that just lists the generic hotel link. The one that is suppose to take you directly to the group rate/reservation has some difficulty. On the reservation page there will be a group code box to fill in after you fill in all your date/name stuff. Use the code ANU (not ANA due to that code being assigned to a different group) in that box and you will be put in the ANA block of rooms with the discount.

Go!

..thanks for being.. migoi

Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »
I'm hopeful I'll be in attendance.

Finances are a little tight right now, but I'm going to do my damndest to get there - even if I have to hitchhike and sleep in the park ;)

Never say never,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 06:56:16 pm »
Never say never

In your case, I'm CERTAINLY NOT saying that.... :)

xxoo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

G_Man

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 10:07:51 pm »
Ok, so I think this might sound strange to some people but I'm actually getting excited about the symposium.  From what I see so far I get the feeling that it's very well organized.  It looks like I'll learn so much in a weekend.  I'm not exactly reading everything I can get my hands on regarding having this tumor in my head.  Frankly, I'm finding the coping a little difficult as far as the informational aspect goes.  I think the symposium could be a much more paletable way of getting to where I need to be.  Don't get me wrong.  I've got the basics.  I've read most of the pamphlets and I read the newsletter.  I just have a threshhold.  I'm trying to get better at it but it's a slow process.  So yeah, I'm excited!
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:58 am »
I don't think that is strange at all, G-man!  I was very excited to go to the symposium in Chicago.  I thought the sessions were great (okay, the one Kaybo and I went to about eye stuff was downright freaky) and the social aspects were not to be missed.  And, don't listen to Migoi - he's a TOTAL social butterfly in his own quiet way! 

Not sure yet if Willie and I will be able to get to Cinci this year - lots going on with his aging parents at the moment, so we just have to play it by ear.  Hoping we can go, though, as I know it will be a great time!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:57 pm »
I hope to be able to come. I have a friend in Cincinnati who I would like to visit, but we just saw her this past summer. I will have to wait and see what the summer brings. With two busy teenagers who don't drive yet and my eldest planning to be home on a break from her service trip to Vietnam, it's anyone's guess at this point.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13