Author Topic: Symposium  (Read 25828 times)

G_Man

Symposium
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »
Hi fellow ANA folks.  Ok, for the benefit of those of us like myself, who have never attended the symposium, I'd like to know what it's like.  I've been looking at the hotel and location.  The website lists June 17 - 19, 2011.  Can someone give me an idea of the schedule of events.  I'm trying to figure out how I would go if I go.  Do most people arrive on that first day in the morning or does it start early in the morning on the 17th?  Do people leave on the 19th or does the symposium go through into the evening?  I've been trying to figure out if there would be anything interesting to see and do in Cincinnati to make it worth staying a few extra days.  I went to the hotel website and noticed that there are no rooms available for the Saturday night.  Does the organization get room blocks for the weekend at some sort of symposium rate?  I know it's probably too early to know detailed info about the event.  I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect in general terms.  I'm looking at the costs and feasibility of going.  For example I already know that flights from NYC are about $338 and up for a nonstop.  Thanks for any your help in advance.
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

Kaybo

Re: Symposium
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:47:13 pm »
Hi G Man!

I went to the last Symposium in Chicago but really, it is no secret, I was there to meet all the great people I have talked to on here!!  ::)  I did go to some sessions and there were a few things that still applied to me (almost 15 years out) but I am sure someone else can come along and tell you more...someone who is more interested than just the "SOCIAL" end of it!!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:16:29 am »
I went to the Chicago Symposium (arrived the night before and stayed until the last session was over) also and I'm with Kay, one of the biggest benefits was the interaction with the other ANers who totally understand.  But beyond that, the sessions were very well done and extremely beneficial.  At no time did I feel pressure to "attend the next session," in fact I went back to my room frequently to take quick naps.  The presenters were well qualified and totally professional with all their presentations ..... even the panel discussion of case studies, in which several doctors who were surgeons and/or radiation docs told what they would probably recommend with each patient.

As for Cincinnati area activities, there are many fun things to do in Cincinnati ...... the Reds baseball field is there, a wonderful Art Museum, King's Island amusement park is near by, etc.

I hope you come.  In my opinion, it is well worth the time and money just for the symposium itself.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:27 am »
I have now went to 5 symposiums, partly due to being NF2.      I have enjoyed the info and getting to know so many other ANers.       There are large general sessions and small sessions on many topics that you choose which one you go to ahead of time.       That info will be listed on this AN site eventually under symposium link.     It is also in the AN newsletter if you have joined and receive that.             Food is included as part of the weekend.       It goes from Fri noon to Sun noon.        We have stayed most of the time and did sightseeing in the town.      Never knew I would get to see some big cities the AN way.         I live in the midwest and hope to this time also if we drive as want to go to some other parts of Ohio that have been to before and want to go again.            Several of us here did come on Thurs last year and met for supper.                       I will not go to them forever but do plan to this next year.
                                                      Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Goldie

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:54 pm »
Just wanted to add that I went to the last symposium as my first, not knowing at the time that surgery was in my future.  I learned a LOT and felt much better prepared for what would be my outcome.  I had read a lot and had been through gamma knife prior, but nothing compares with meeting fellow ANer's.  I'm on the "other side" now but plan to go again this coming year.  I attended every session I could and felt it was well worth it!

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

G_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
Thanks for responding everyone.  I do see the value in meeting everyone and the sessions as well.  It's been over a year since my diagnosis.  I've been trying to take smaller bites of info past the initial exposure and learning experience.  I may be lucky enough to be watch and wait for a long time but nobody can predict that.  I'm thinking the details will be up on the website in the next few months.   From being in the N.F.B. and attending the national convention many times I figured there must be some similarity in the structure but not the content of course.  It actually sounds like it's more fun than the NFB conventions.
Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:39:06 am »
G_Man

All those that posted here attended last year just to meet me at the symposium! ;)

I'm with everyone here... the "social" aspect to meet other AN'ers was terrific (Capt Deb and I shared a room..... became party central.....we lucked out no bail money was required but I believe Kaybo, Jan and Lori needed bail money ;) ).

For me, we had a lot of "off the cuff" access to AN treating physicians... over lunch, over drinks, mingling, in the hallways, etc..... they were approachable, open to answering our questions and the workshops they did were certainly insightful.

Hoping to make it to Cinci.  Pushing to have 2013 here in Boston... trust me... I'm working it! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:07:10 am »
If not Boston, then I think Houston would be good!!   ::)  I have no plans to attend this year, but maybe 2013...we'll see...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sunfish

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 08:40:37 am »
I'd like to go. I'm planning to go.  Trouble is, there's lots of places I'd like to go to/am planning to go to next year.  So we'll see what happens.  Recent AN related ongoing difficulties make it less likely I will be participating in some of the endurance athletic events I was thinking about.  So the symposium is looking more likely.  You don't know how much I would LOVE to meet you all!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

G_Man

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »
You guys sound more like it's a big party than anything else.  I'm not complaining.  When you find out you have this thing you really start thinking to yourself, "Now I gotta' bust a move in my life cause who knows what the future will bring."  Also sounds like you're intrested in having 2013 in any place that ends in "ston".  Unfortunately Kingston wasn't mentioned, but that's just a little upstate town anyway.  Well I'm going to try and make 2011 as I still have a long long way to go to be where I may one day need to be.  EWW what a statement that was!
Watch and Wait.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:52:43 am »
Actually I attended for the social aspect, and because it was here in my own backyard (Chicago), and also because I was a sponsor.

But that said, the few sessions I attended were excellent and I wish I had attended many more.  As someone who was already post treatment and who had conquered my biggest "issue" - SSD (with a BAHA) - there were some sessions that weren't all that relevant to me.

However, the access to doctors and information was tremendous and I did myself a disservice by not attending more sessions.  If nothing else I would have learned a lot more about ANs, treatment options, and hearing options which can only help me in my role as a Cochlear volunteer and as an advocator for those with ANs.

I am planning to attend in 2011.  I'm a sponsor once again and I want to meet Kathy M  ;D - and naturally anyone else from the Forum who attends. This time I'll balance my meeting and greeting (okay, socializing) with sessions and try to do it all.

I think it's very worthwhile to attend and the price is right; lots of information, meals, etc., for your money.   

And while I didn't require bail money in Chicago - I think that was Lori, right Kaybo ?? - I just may in Ohio.  You never know.  Are you listening Phyl?  Bring lots of cash  ;D

Jan   

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:47 am »
Ahoy Gman!
I've attended the past two symosiums--the first one I was desperate to find some info on how to manage the awful headaches I was having but the 2nd one was more socializing and sight-seeing (awesome exhibit at the Field Museum called "Real Pirates" but I did attend 2 headache workshops and several round table discussions with other headachers and docs.  So much great info on what has been a life-altering condition for me.

These symposiums are really great for W and Ws and pre-treaties.  One of the board members has been W and W for 13 years--you should meet him.  The ANA has already blocked out rooms and you can make your res through them.  All of the activites will be posted on the ANA website if they aren't already--click on the ANA logo in the upper right of this page to find out.

Hope to see you there!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

G_Man

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »
I see the Symposium information posted.  It looks really good.  Seems like a lot goes on in that little weekend.  What do they do as far as food is concerned?  It looks like they provide food as part of the registration.  What I'm asking is what type of food do they serve at the lunch and dinner?
Watch and Wait.

JohnC23

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »
I am planning to do to the Cincy Symposium since it is hosted by the group that my doctor belongs to and is about 10 minutes from my house!!  I will be happy to be the tour guide via this forum for anyone that needs info such as a great place to visit or eat while in the Greater Cincinnati area.  (there are a few eateries that you NEED to try while in the area)  I will try and create a posting with info when it gets closer to the summer or you can just shoot me a message.  John
Suboccipital transmeatal, left side, April 7-2006 @ University of Cincinnati Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.  (Dr. Philip Theodosopoulos, Mayfield Group and Dr. Myles Pensak, U.C. Head and Neck Surgery)  4 year post-op MRI done Oct. 2010 and was all cear!

G_Man

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »
John, that was my origional question.  If I'm going to Cincinnatti and I could add on a day or two to the weekend, what would I want to see?  Keeping in mind that I don't drive.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Watch and Wait.