Author Topic: Symposium  (Read 25839 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Symposium
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2011, 07:29:10 am »
Kay .....

..... do not even know where to begin with this ..... but ever since I met you in Chicago two years ago, you have been my inspiration to keep going.  There are many on this Forum who feel exactly as I do, even without knowing you personally.

Sounds like you need a BIG HUG, for sure!!!!!  *BIG HUG*

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2011, 07:39:53 am »
Sorry, guys - don't want this thread to be about me...I was just overcome by Clarice's kind words.  This has been a VERY difficult move for me...I think I handled brain surgery and a paralyzed face a LOT better than this and I find myself doubting myself all the time.  I'll be OK...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »
Sorry, guys - don't want this thread to be about me...I was just overcome by Clarice's kind words.  This has been a VERY difficult move for me...I think I handled brain surgery and a paralyzed face a LOT better than this and I find myself doubting myself all the time.  I'll be OK...;D

Kay ~

If anyone on these forums deserved a thread about them, it would be you!  Your affirmative attitude and obvious strength of character is admired by many - and I count myself among them.  I believe your life is a testament to your spiritual faith and your determination to make the most of what God has given you, which is an abundance of riches beyond what money could ever buy.  Your family are clearly your real joy and over the time I've been reading and posting on these forums, I feel I've come to know you, the girls, your husband and many aspects about your day-to-day life.  Obviously, the move has posed challenges and they have taken a temporary toll on your usual buoyant attitude, but with your inner strength and the  prayers that are being said for you, it's just a brief moment before your infectious optimism returns to brighten the lives of those around you and those who know you only through these forums, but still feel as if we have a friendly neighbor, nearby, in you, Kay.  Thanks for being here to help brighten everyone's day.  I hope any lingering clouds over your day are soon lifted.  God bless you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2011, 10:59:50 am »
Kaybo -

having just moved myself - for the first time in over 22 years - I can say that I totally agree with you.  I recovered from brain surgery much easier.  There's just something about being "displaced" that's very unsettling.  The fact that I'm now living with raccoons that have chewed their way through the roof of the house we are renting probably also has something to do with that unsettled feeling  ;D

Seriously though, I'm with you on this one.

Clarice summed you up very nicely.  You're a huge inspiration  :-*  And you're so nice - much nicer than I'll ever be  ::)

Hang in there sis,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:21 pm »
Hope you will joing us for our 20th national symsosium - June 17-19 in Cincinnati.  You can register online on our website.

Please drop me an email if you are coming to the symposium.   We want to plan special social time for Forum AN'ers.  Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks in Cincinnati.

Judy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 04:25:27 pm »
Hope you will joing us for our 20th national symsosium - June 17-19 in Cincinnati.  You can register online on our website.

Please drop me an email if you are coming to the symposium.   We want to plan special social time for Forum AN'ers.  Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks in Cincinnati.

Judy

Judy

Thank you SO much for thinking of the forumites... you KNOW I'll be there!  >:D
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ombrerose4

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 05:42:59 pm »
My husband and I will be attending the symposium. I am really looking forward to meeting fellow forumites ;D  Can't wait!

Lauren
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

kraynok2

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 07:46:46 pm »
My husband and I will be attending the symposium, also.  I am looking forward to meeting my fellow friends on this forum.  Sandy

G_Man

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »
Hey, I have to say I'm glad I started this thread.  I wasn't sure at first if it would be silly & ignored. 
Anyway, I'm about to finish my questions for the 15 minutes w/the Dr.  I finally realized that 15 minutes isn't a world of time.  I'm mostly opting for a 2nd opinion, which I really hadn't gotten as yet.  Plus I'm interested in complications surgery could bring that would effect my vision.
Funny thing happened last week.  I took a DB2 class.  Nope that wasn't funny, it was downright unfunny.  BUT they guy who taught the class is from Ohio.  I asked him about Cincinnati.  He's a bit of a partier from what I gather.  Anyway, he said that Cincinnati has nothing going on.  All the good bars and restaurants are in Covington.  I'm sure many of you already know that.  So I made a connection between SQL and AN.  Now that's funny in an ODD way  :)
Diag: 08/11/2009 Left side
AN: 0.6cm.  65% Hearing loss, tinnitus, fullness, minor motion issues.
hearing loss over 25+ years.  MRI in 2000 showed nothing.
Optical Atrophy from infantcy
Watch and Wait.
As of 2017 I am on a 2 year MRI frequency.

ksiwek

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:40 pm »
Better late than never....

I do believe that my husband and I will be heading to Cincinnati!  We have had grandma volunteer to watch our son :). We plan to get registered tomorrow.  Really looking forward to meeting all of you!  I am really just looking forward to conversation with folks that understand the AN journey!

Kris

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

foodsmarts

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2011, 05:23:09 pm »
I've read this forum over the past two years as I was diagnosed and then treated - cyberknife at Stanford 20. All of the personal information shared was incredibly helpful with both understanding and during recovery. My husband are attending the forum and we're looking forward to meeting all you generous forumites to thank you in person for the time and effort you dedicate to helping others.

Helen
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

Mei Mei

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2011, 07:57:41 am »
I'm going to be there too, but arrive on Friday around 1 pm.  Will have to check into my room and then look for everyone.   So excited about the Symposium and meeting my extended family.  You have been a tremendous support since I first found out I had an AN.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
My husband, Steve, and I will be there on Friday!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Mei Mei

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »
Sounds like fun...I'll join you for a tour if possible.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh