Author Topic: Today's the day!  (Read 16408 times)

moe

Re: Today's the day!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
Today is post op day no. 3.
Hopefully Kris is slowly feeling a tad bit better every day. Tell her a lot of us can empathize about the  "liking the eye closed" situation, including me. :)
Too much stimulation, and I would get "woozy" or more woozy. Seemed the minute I closed my eyes, another person came in and of course they want you to open your eyes!
She'll feel better when she can rest uninterrupted. Has she been up and walking? How's the dizziness? Tell her we are all rooting for her! It WILL slowly improve.
This is the AN road we travel......
Gentle hugs,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 06:06:55 pm »
Post Op Day 2: Yada, yada, yada. Fastforward.....just a blah day.

Post Op Day 3: Was a little freaked when Dr. Friedman said that he hadn't really seen how her eyes were reacting before, but he reassured me that everything was perfect after surgery and the MRI was good so he was not too concerned.  Sure enough, mid-morning rolled around and there was vast improvement.  PT got her up to walk around and she was a little shaky the first time. She did much better in the afternoon and walked quite a bit with less assistance.  Her eyes are opening more, and while still not fully coordinated, there's big improvement there too. We sat and had a real conversation for a bit, which was so uplifting for both of us. Good to see smiles and laughs.

I expect we'll see continued improvement from here.  Oh, and I did paraphrase a lot of the responses to her and it really relieved her to know that others had the eye issues like her and she would be OK.

She'll be too emotional right now to reunite with Parker, but I can't wait until she's ready for that.  That'll put the world's biggest smile on my face.
Wife (ksiwek) - 3.5cm left side AN

moe

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 06:22:09 pm »
Glad to hear things went a little better today and she is up walking and talking and the eye situation is improving somewhat.  :) Baby steps we call them. The big thing is simply walking, resting, drinking, eating (pooping too :D) so she can get home. Between the c-section  and brain surgery, she has been through the wringer! She sounds like a strong lady.
She'll be holding her precious bundle before she knows it. Little symptoms may arise, but they will most likely be temporary.
Sounds like she is doing great!
Maureen

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »
Great news that Kris is already up and walking around.  And laughing!  I don't think I was able to do that for quite some time after my surgery.  She is going to do great!  And the reunion with Parker will be very emotional and uplifting for everyone!  What better reward after going through brain surgery than to be handed a beautiful new baby boy when it's all over with!  My son Dylan was only 3 months and we kept him out of the hospital for fear of him getting sick.  Coming home to him made me so happy that I couldn't stop crying and hugging him.  Of course, Dylan was over the 10 lb weight limit so I couldn't lift him, but Parker is about 7 lbs now so hopefully Kris can pick him  up whenever she's ready!

So glad she's moving around, talking and acting like herself!

Keep up the good work!

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:42 pm »
We'll have to get in a visit soon then, he's rapidly on his way to 10lbs.  Kid can eat!

Lizard

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 10:21:50 am »
Fantastic news and she must be so happy to be walking around, what a great improvement  ;D
Thanks!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 01:42:02 pm »
Mike ~

Thanks a bunch for the update!  It seems as if Kris is having a very good recovery and is right on track for discharge.  I'm sure the mother and child reunion is only a motion away.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:12 pm »
Another good day of steady progression. We're not out of the woods yet, but we're working on it.  Doc mentioned a possible discharge tomorrow.  We'll see, but it's a sign we're going to get back home sometime in the foreseeable future.  Oh how we miss home and our puppies.

moe

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:31 am »
Yea, great news! Baby steps continue :)
Maureen

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 01:47:48 pm »
Glad to see that everyones prayers and positive thoughts were answered again. No, you are not out of the woods yet but the worst is well behind you. Continued luck with your recovery.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »
Sounds like Kris is right on track.  This week is rough, I know, but it gets better and better every day.  I'll be thinking of you!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

NL

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 10:54:32 pm »
Mike,

I just checked out the video you posted on the blog of Kris walking with her PT.  ;D

She looks like she is making fantastic progress! It is so nice to see her walking and smiling. Thank you for posting it!

http://www.ksiwek.blogspot.com/

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 09:10:21 am »
Just saw your video of baby Parker back in Mommy's arms.  What an incredibly beautiful moment!  It seems like all is right in the world after watching you two back together.  You look fantastic and your recovery seems to be going remarkably well.  Many prayers were answered for your family!

Here's to continued recovery and the entire family reunion!  Pooches included!

Love,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:02 pm »
Mike ~

Thanks again for the updates.  I checked out your blog - and it's great!.  The video of Kris and Parker was charming.  The video of Kris walking brought back memories because that is pretty much what I was doing exactly four years ago today...recovering from AN surgery and trying to get back to normalcy as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, I don't have so much as a snapshot of that time but my memory is quite clear.  Besides, who would want to watch some grizzled old guy walking around the hospital corridors?  Kris, you and, most of all, baby Parker are much nicer to watch - so thanks for sharing this with us.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »
You look Great, Kris, and the baby is beautiful. You must be so happy and relieved.
Keep up the great recovery!
Maureen