Author Topic: Today's the day!  (Read 16352 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Today's the day!
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
Kris and Mike .....

So glad you are all back together as a family ..... even if it is still in California.  News continues to be good.  So grateful!!

Thoughts and prayers continue for a quick and safe return to Wisconsin.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:26 pm »
Hi All! It's Kris posting a short note (as you all know time on the computer right now is so taxing on the brain).  I just wanted to come on for a minute to say a huge 'Thank You' for the support!!!!  This has been the most difficult journey and one that was made lighter from support from all of you!

I am getting better day by day and am so looking forward to heading home on Thursday (from LA to Milwaukee...got discharged from hospital after 6 days...)  My eye tracking is slowly improving, but so many of my pre-surgery symptoms have improved!  By the last month before surgery I wasn't able to walk on my own, move my eyes fully, feel my face, etc.....all of these things are gone now!  My heart is lighter and full of love!  I feel blessed and look forward to everyday that brings me closer to what is normal!!!

I will post more as the computer becomes less fatiguing, but needed to let you know how much I appreciated hearing every word you posted (via Mike).  The comments kept me going thru those first crazy steroid filled days!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

moe

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:07 am »
Hi Kris,
Wow, what an amazing recovery you are making. Keep up those baby steps (you got TWO in that category :D). Your body will tell you when you are physically overdoing it. Nap when the baby naps, with him snuggled up to you if at all possible.
How sweet is that? And then the easy walking. I'm so happy for you, I don't recall the pre op symptoms but yes, you are sure blessed to get all those pesky symptoms behind you. Time to enjoy your new role as motherhood.
Let us know how things continue to go as you "re-enter" the real world in WI. At least you'll have nice cool weather to welcome you back.
Keep smiling!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 03:29:17 pm »
Great news Kris, "there's no place like home" :)

Hope you continue to feel better,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mar50

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 07:45:45 pm »
Hi Kris - It's so great to see you on the computer already, even if only for a short time.  Great progress!!  Safe travels home, and enjoy every minute with the baby as you continue to heal!!!!!

Martha

ksiwek

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:13 pm »
Hi Everyone!

It has been about 3.5 weeks since my surgery now...and life recovering from a craniotomy and tending to a newborn are busy...and that is an understatement!  I am lucky to have such great help with the baby so that I can rest a little more than most mom's with a new baby!

I just wanted to let you all know that slowly but surely I am making progress.  As I reflect on the symptoms that have resolved, I am reminded at how far I have come!  I am blessed for the outcome this far and continue to pray that all will continue to resolve and improve. 

Also, local ABC news media did a piece on our story and I think that there may be some other media coverage coming....I will post if this is the case....http://www.wisn.com/video/23956845/index.html

I am just so thrilled to be alive with a healthy baby..I wanted to list out all of the things that have improved from prior to surgery and I am thankful for...and that I will never take for granted again....

I can now walk without help...before surgery I had to hold on to my husband or mom
I can look up at a menu at a place like starbucks with my eyes (and not move my head)

I can wash my hair without getting water/soap in my left eye

The left half of my face doesn't feel like its asleep with a 10lb weight

I can feel my tongue
I can drink out of a glass without dribbling fluid out of my mouth
I can put eye makeup on again because I can focus my eyes to do so

My left arm has better coordination when I type!
My left eye is the same size as my right eye 95% of the time...it was bulging prior to surgery

Did I mention my adorable baby that is happy and healthy despite his early arrival?!

I have full facial function post surgery!!!

I am still waiting for my eyes to track fully together, but I can tell that they are slowly improving.  I still have a decent amount of that 'wonky' head feeling, but I know I need to be patient as it has only been 3.5 weeks!  It is great to be on the other side...the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders, and I am so thankful and blessed to be typing this message.  I have hope and I believe that all will continue to get better.

Thanks again all of you, your support shaped my AN journey for the better!  I will post more when I can!  Now fingers crossed baby Parker will start sleeping through the night in a few weeks!!!!

God Bless all of you!

Kris

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »
sounds like recovery is going great ...take care of yourself and that baby ...bet he has grown ... they never stay little long enough
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 06:34:41 am »
Kris .....

Parker is adorable (and so are you!   ::)) in the video.  You are doing amazingly well!!  ..... and Parker is a tremendous incentive to your quick recovery.

Best thoughts and continuing prayers for an uneventful full recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »
Kris ~

Thanks for the update and video link.  I'm pleased to see how well you and Parker are doing, in your own way, of course.  Please stay in touch via this forum because you have a lot of friends who care about you and your family and are interested in your recovery, which will be excellent, I'm sure.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »
Very emotional.

God Bless you and your family.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

moe

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2010, 09:34:35 am »
Thanks for the link. Very emotional like Anne Marie said.
What a ride you have been through, and to see that you are feeling so much better now with your healthy baby boy. How exciting for you!
You are so strong, keep it up and enjoy your darling boy (s)!~ husband included  ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mar50

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »
WOW.  What a great clip.  You both look great, that Parker is a DOLL.  And I loved your list of gratitudes. 

Take care and enjoy the little one.  He'll be sleeping through the night before you know it.

Martha

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:54 am »
The clip is wonderful and certainly inspirational.  You are a terrific role model for anyone going through challenges!
~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Lizard

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2010, 09:36:38 am »
Kris,
You look great and Parker is a doll!  Congrats on your successful surgery and many happy years with your little man (and the hubs he's great too).  Thank you for sharing the link.
You are amazingly strong, and an inspiration to anyone with an AN.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt