Author Topic: Today's the day!  (Read 16382 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Today's the day!
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:09 am »
I'm so glad that the surgery went well. Kris was not out yet when I went to bed last night, and this was the first thing I checked this morning. Looking forward to additional positive updates.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Cheryl R

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 07:01:11 am »
Good to hear the surgery went well.    I've always told my family that the surgery day is hardest for them once I was in surgery.   
   I hope all goes well now and that the first few days go fast!             Remember our motto that the first 3 days don't count!
                                                              Cheryl R

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 07:21:38 am »
Glad things went well and hope she (& you) had a good night.  Onward & upward from here...remember it won't always be smooth sailing and you will need lots of patience along the way, but everything WILL be good in the end!!  Tell Kris to listen to her body!!

Prayers still coming your way!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 08:36:22 am »
So glad Kris' surgery is over.  It sounds like everything went well.  Now on to a quick recovery.  As the others have said, do not be discouraged if these first three days are a bit rocky ..... she has been through a lot.  From day four on she should rapidly feel better.

Thoughts and prayers continue for this next phase in the journey!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
Mike ~

Thank you for the great news about Kris!  Prayers have certainly been answered.  I'm sure she'll have a fine recovery.  Take good care of her.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 05:59:05 pm »
Mike,
Thanks for the wonderful updates and I want to officially welcome Kris to postie land!  Hope she is recovering well, and remember the first 3 days don't count  :)
Take care and please keep us posted,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 06:05:51 pm »
Mike,
So relieved to hear that Kris's surgery was a success! Now YOU take a deep breath, get some fresh air.
We'll be here for both of you ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »
Quick update for Day 1, which as I understand it doesn't count.  I'll be sure to remind her of that, btw.

I got in to see Kris several times in ICU today. She is sleeping most of the time and very groggy from the pain medication when she is not. She's bothered by head pain (does this surprise anyone?) the most and she's soar from being strapped down in an awkward position for 10 hours during the surgery. It was a long surgery and her brain stem was displaced pretty bad so this isn't shocking anyone, including me.

She is really bothered by opening her eyes, so she doesn't do it too much right now. She says it makes her head hurt so she has to be pushed by us and the staff to try every so often to get used to it. The doctors have done full exams on her and gotten good response out of her eyes when they do, so they don't think there is any lasting issues there it might just take a little time to adjust. She also had an MRI today to check for fluid buildup and such and it came back clean which was good.

I did notice that as the day progress our conversations went from one word answers to more reciprocal interactions. I believe that with another night of rest the progress will continue. I have faith that the answer to her question today of "will I ever get better?" is absolutely and unequivocally YES!

Till tomorrow, good night friends.
Wife (ksiwek) - 3.5cm left side AN

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 12:30:48 am »
2 wonderful blessings to count... baby Parker and a successful surgery (whew that's behind her now).

Your family remains in my prayers.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 01:08:19 am »
Sounds like things are already picking up!! Yeah, between all the drugs/anesthesia and whatnot, she'll be groggy for several days.  I'm keeping her in my prayers for a speedy and uneventful recovery! Keep us updated when you can (you are doing a wonderful job thus far!)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 07:29:58 am »
Sounds like Kris is doing well.  It is very normal not to want to open her eyes ..... not only because of the headache, but she may experience double vision and dizziness when she does, as well ..... all very expected.  Once they can begin to reduce the pain meds and anti-nausea drugs, she will feel better also.

Thoughts and prayers continue for all of you!!  You need to also take care of yourself, you know!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:43 am »
Sounds like she is doing good ... I know she feels bad but still sounds like she doing good all the same ...

as for eye opening ... opening mine post op was painful ... recovery tech that sat with me for hours before going to ICU said it was from suddenly seeing everything and it was overstimulating my tired brain ... he put it more in medical terms but that is what it came down to ... I could open my eyes for them when asked , but preferred them closed ...and for 2 days opened them as little as possible

continued good healing to Kris
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »
Mike ~

Kris' reactions thus far seem perfectly normal and why we say (thanks to Steve), that the first three days (post-op) 'don't count'.  It takes that amount of time to get the anesthesia out of your system and for the patient's body/brain to begin to rebound from  the trauma of invasive surgery. You should see improvement daily.  5 days is the typical hospital stay, although there is no set time frame for discharge and her doctors will decide if and when Kris is ready to go home, where recovery is always easier (in my opinion).  Thanks for keeping us 'in the loop'.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »
Thanks again for the updates, and I also had a lot of pain from light that lasted about two weeks.  In the hospital I used an empty pillowcase to cover them when it was really bothersome.

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

GRACE1

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:44 am »
I am so glad to see your updates.  I only have a computer at work right now, so I had to wait until this morning to see how Kris is doing.  I thought about her all weeked.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16