Author Topic: Wish me luck! :)  (Read 26313 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Wish me luck! :)
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »
I hope that this does not come across as flippant, but I am feeling remarkably serene about this. Poot, I think it means it was not the right job for you, not that you were not the right one for the job.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2010, 06:18:03 pm »
I'm with Saralynn.

Everything happens for a reason - which is why I got that acoustic neuroma in the first place  ;D

Take heart, Pooter, the right thing will come your way sooner or later.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2010, 10:47:30 pm »
And the hits just keep coming.... I heard from the Houston company a little while ago:  Thanks, but no thanks..  For those of you keeping score:  0-2  (that's just the latest score, the real score is much worse)

Thanks everyone.  Jan, word of advice:  Don't ask me for interviewing tips because obviously I'm doing something wrong in mine.  ;)

The silver lining is that the day is almost over finally.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jackie

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2010, 12:01:48 am »
Hey Pooter,

It's been my experience that in your situation, something better is around the corner for you, so be ready for it!!!
All the best always,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2010, 04:47:19 am »
The silver lining is that the day is almost over finally.

Oh, my Pooter.... the silver lining is... "when you least expect, it will happen....".... as it did for me last month... and as it will do for you..... we tout our "gut feelings" around here and my gut is telling me..... "sooner than later"....

Hang in there..... I do believe....

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2010, 06:39:20 am »
Pooter -

if it's any consolation the economy still sucks.  I don't think your interviewing skills are to blame.

My boss who was fired in May 2009 just found a job about a week ago.

Not sure where I'm at in this situation.  On one hand, my current job pays the bills - on the other, the stress and frustration is killing me.

There's a job out there just waiting for you.  You'll see.

Keep the faith!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:28 am »
Ah sorry Brian, bigger and better things to come your way. Keep the faith ;)
Congrats Phyl, you got something last month? ??
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2010, 08:49:11 am »
I'm very sorry that you got two hits in the same day, but I am still confident that you will find the right job at the right time.

Meanwhile, I'm really glad you have a job. Check out this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/disturbing-job-ads-the-un_n_600665.html - I wonder if that includes new college graduates? My daughter just graduated magna cum laude and is finding very little to even apply for. (She is doing part-time temp work this summer for a state agency to pay for health insurance since she lost coverage through her dad's job the month she graduated and the coverage under the new health care bill is not mandatory until January.)

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

moe

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2010, 09:03:00 am »
Sara,

(HIGHJACK, sorry Brian)

Wow, congratulations on your daughter's achievements and I hope she finds a job soon. How frustrating. >:(

Our daughter also graduated from college ( not with credentials like your daughter!) with BS in Nutrition. Applied for dietetic internships, but wasn't "matched" to her choices, because there are not enough internships for the applicants! So she is living with Ma and Pa, working at the "Blazing Onion" restaurant (with kids, basically,) while she studies to take a test to be a Registered Dietitian Technician, which will give her experience, but pays squat (if she can find a job in THAT).

So frustrating. We have another son graduating next May in business.......Aaagghhh! I'm going to encourage him to go for his Master's right away. We're footing the bill for undergrad, he can do the grad stuff.

Anyway, tell your daughter she is not alone, as I'm sure she knows.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lizard

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:37 am »
Pooter don't be too hard on yourself, it hard to find a job in these times and the competition is huge.  Like I said before something will pop up and be a perfect fit for you, the dream job you've been waiting for.
Smile  :)

Liz

Phyl, its so awesome to hear you have a new job, thanks for the update  :D :D
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
Brian ~

I'm sorry that the other job prospect fizzled, too.  Although interview skills are important, I don't believe they always make or break your chances to land a job in a technical field.  It took me years to hone my job interview skills but as a broadcaster, I was judged mostly on my talent and contributing factors, such as experience and voice quality.  Unless I acted like an obnoxious jerk during an interview, I would usually get the job I applied for.  However, in the radio D.J. business, the hiring decision is almost completely subjective.  I was turned down for one radio gig I applied for (in Hartford) but six months later, a much bigger Hartford station (that paid way more) approached me (I never applied there) and pretty much offered me a radio show.  I accepted and by doing so, immediately doubled my salary.  It happens.  I once had to turn down a lucrative radio show offer because the station was in another state and having been unemployed awhile, I simply couldn't afford to move and with a 3-year-old child, I wasn't going without my family.  It killed me to say no to that good job, but I had no choice. Two months later, I landed a nice radio gig about a mile away from my home.  I loved that job and stayed at that station for 11 years, a record for radio show longevity, for me.  I like to say that I practically raised my son with the money that job paid.

All this reminiscing has a point...honest.  Its meant to demonstrate that things have a way of working out for the best, even when it doesn't seem like it at the time. 

As we all know too well, there are no guarantees in life - but I believe that if you work diligently, have integrity and are good at what you do things will eventually go well for you, if not exactly the way you expected.  There are always new horizons and for a young man with salable skills (IT is a solid job field) you have a lot to look forward to in your career, even if it seems stymied, now.  As Liz noted, the economy is tight and jobs are harder to come by.  Employers  can be highly selective (if not always prescient) but that will inevitably change and your chance to advance will surely arrive.  As I stated in an earlier post: never give up.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2010, 10:19:26 am »
Sorry that things didn't pan out but something will come along

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery