Author Topic: Wish me luck! :)  (Read 26322 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Wish me luck! :)
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:01 am »
Wow!  Thanks everyone!  I didn't anticipate such a response especially given how dead it's been around here all week...

Jay, I'm not so sure that any of my AN knowledge (what little there is) will be helpful because I'll be interviewing for a technical position.  I seriously doubt that he knows anything about ANs even given that he works for a major hospital. ;)

Jan, no comment.  :)

Moe, congrats on the facial reanimation surgery.  I'm sure you'll rock it and be very pleased!

Rich, not EXACTLY on the inside, but close enough.  Enough on the inside that the recommendation helped get me in the door.

I'm nervous, but ok.  As someone very wise once told me, it's okay to be nervous as long as all of your butterflies are flying in formation.  Well, mine are.

Thanks again all!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
Brian,

Good Luck my friend!!!  I'm sure you will get the job.  My husband loves working in the hospital. 

Anne Marie

PS  You will be amazed at all the wasted $$$
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

lori67

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »
Brian,

I think using your surgeon for a reference would be a great idea!  At least he knows for sure that you have a brain - he's seen it!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:38:31 pm »
Lori, I asked my OB/GYN years ago for a job reference in the hospital where my daughter was born. He said he preferred to keep his patient relationships separate. The curmudgeon.

Sara

P.S. Pooter, how did the interview go?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 05:00:59 pm »
Sara

P.S. Pooter, how did the interview go?

Two words:  Nailed it

Again, the job isn't officially opened yet, but when it does (should be within the next 2 weeks), I would be floored if I wasn't at least among the top considered candidates.  I could go into many details about why I think it went well, however suffice it to say that I have a REAL good feeling coming out of the interview.

At some point, I have to decide if it is worth stepping out of my comfort zone a little bit for the trade up in upward mobility options.  I guess I'll decide that when the time comes.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 06:20:28 pm »
Good for you!!!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »
Wishing you good luck hope you get the job.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:47 pm »

Two words:  Nailed it
[/quote]

Excellent Brian 8)

In 2 weeks they will confirm those good vibes you're experiencing ;)

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »
Way to Go, Poot!!   ;D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »
Great news, Pooter  ;D

Maybe if they offer you the job you can get that MRI free as part of the deal  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:09 pm »

Btw, why has the board been so dead lately?

Way to go Pooter... I hope you get the hospital job you are after.

So why are things so dead? ... Well because we have not convinced you to start DANCING- yet. ;D

Hmm maybe the Memorial Herman Hospital System staff there does surgical glove dances too? ;)

Here are some more glove dances to share with you… done by hospital BESIDES the one from Portland Oregon

Pink Glove at Waldo County general
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejPiMnq6nEQ

Martin Memorial medical Center
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg7vpdOu5IA

Blue glove dance for autism (ok ok not a hospital)
http://vimeo.com/10730785

Purple glove dance of relay for life by Michigan State University (ok ok college kids)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDERYYtHBvs

Purple glove dance of relay for life by Georgia College & State University (ok more college kids)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcdi7u_purple-glove-dance-gcsu-42350_travel

Well of course I am partial to our “original” Portland Oregon Pink Glove done by the hospital where our ANA support group meets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw

So Pooter if you start working at a hospital you know you ARE going to have to start dancing now… (I think it is a new employee hospital requirement that you are willing to dance  :D)… If you run out of ideas (or causes) maybe get one going to bring awareness to Acoustic Neuromas. Hmmm what color glove would be best?

I suggest neon orange to match the super high-powered earplug I sometimes wear (the flesh tone one I wear everyday is too boring).

Pooter what is you favorite color?

Any ideas for what cool 8) music we should use ANYONE?

DHM :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »
Brian ~

I've been borderline AWOL here for the past few days due to pressing issues at home, including completely redecorating a room in our condo and buying a new car - both time-consuming.

However, I apologize for missing your initial post and by doing so, forfeiting the opportunity to wish you success on the job interview.  Apparently, that worked out quite well anyway and you're now in line for the soon-to-be-open job.  Congratulations!  I have to mention that taking risks is an essential factor of achieving success in life.  I could bore you with some personal stories that might help prove it but I suspect that you need no convincing.  So, I'll simply tell you I'm confident that if you're offered this 'upwardly mobile' position, you'll do what's best for you and your family.  I won't wish you luck because if the job is offered to you, you'll have earned  it.  'Luck' will have nothing to do with it. 

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
Hope you get good health benefits, Brian.    ;D

Oh my, I just went there! Pretend that didn't happen...  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »
Brian,

Sorry I'm just seeing this post but congratulations and best wishes.  If you want this I hope you get it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 03:26:14 pm »
Tomorrow at 2pm, I have a job interview!  Ironically, it's with Memorial Herman Hospital System.
OMG
 :D

I ACTUALLY found a video of Memorial Herman Hospital   ::) where the staff DANCES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GBwUT3Khe8

Pooter- Is this the same hospital system?

(Oh Goodie Steve… we just MAY get to see ole Pooter dancing after-all. ;) ;D  :D )

DHM :-*

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!