Author Topic: Hair-OH NO!  (Read 15042 times)

Battyp

Hair-OH NO!
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:30 pm »
See I've another idea and it's not been a year...watch out I'm on a roll!

I made the mistake of not asking my chosen surgeon if they were going to shave my head for surgery.  In my  thought process at the time they were so I had my hair cut short (real short) in order to not look so strange post op.  Well they didn't shave my head like I've seen in some pics posted they just parted my hair and stapled it down (sounds worse than it is  LOL)  They did shave 1 inch spots all over for fidicual markers the day before my surgery which totally whacked my short hair up.  Had I of left it long I doubt I'd have had the bad hair days...

so moral of the story..if you're contemplating surgery..ask don't assume how much hair they're going to shave!
I would def. have done better leaving my hair long and pulling it in a pony tail vs the bad hair days I'm going through which let's face it just doesn't help a woman's self esteem!   :D

I just found out I'm a big liar!  Apparently they did shave part of my head only I was so out of it I by the time I got back into the reality game it had grown back.  Just thought I'd share my nasty head pic...  I still wouldn't have cut my hair that short would have left it alone!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:11:18 am by battyprincess »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hair
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 05:14:22 pm »
My waist length hair is thinning from CK.. I knew to expect some hair loss (but not much) and so far, so good but now dried out and thinning.... but, for me, if that's the least of my worries, I'm kewl with it!

Batty, who knew?  You're right... we can always ask first and if it helps with self-esteem as anyone goes through this process (regardless of treatment choices), I agree... but, as a hairdresser in my former life (still licensed in 2 States for over *coff* 25 years now), just remember... "it'll always grow back!" :)

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:15:37 pm »
Yeah that was my attitude when I cut it...but dang could it hurry up so I could quit looking like a boy  LOL 8)

Static

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:14:52 pm »
Batty,
I don't think you look like a boy, in fact, I think your hair looks nice!  Then again, I wear my hair short probably because it is so thick.  Not short short, but about your length or a bit shorter and layered so it doesn't puff out so much!  I used to get it even shorter but actually do wear it a bit longer now because of the scars I want covered.  Actually, I had hair shaved in a sort of upside down L shape and my hair is so freakin thick and it was long enough to do a Donald Trump combover! LOL  I also like it short because it's less to be bothered with.  I just don't have the time or patience any more!  Whatever makes you happy is what you should do, but you def do NOT look like a boy!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:35:19 pm »
Thanks Static...the pic on here is the haircut before the final hair cut.  I liked that one...trying to get back to that length.  My hair is so thick it just sort of lays there and is hard to try to style.  My frappr page with the pink shirt is post surgery and it's not much longer than that now but is evened up finally from all the crop circles the put on my head  LOL ;D

matti

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:31 pm »
I just made sure that whoever shaved my head had to be female. Sorry guys, but women just understand hair issues better.  She didn't shave as much as I thought and did a great job, so that the upper layers would cover my incision. It was the person that had applied my head bandage that I'm sitll looking for. He pulled all my hair straight up and I looked like bride of frankenstien. I only walked the the halls late at night, so as not to scare too many people. I was hideous  :(

Batty you do NOT look like a boy!

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 08:07:34 pm »
Hey you wenches,

Surgery didn't cause hair loss - too much of ..... causes hair loss (so they tell me!
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 08:11:35 pm »
Oh matti you've got me laughing..I pity that guy if you ever find him!

Laz..since I wasn't getting too much of anything but decadron it had to be the surgery  LOL

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:56:40 am »
I cut my hair an inch long when I started having to wash it in Joy and seawater and never looked back.  Whack it all off, sez I!!!  I had a luverly half-mohawk for my middle-fossa.  After three weeks, You couldn't even see the scar cuz it's really thick and wavy.

Pretty gorgeous, eh? The day they took the dressing off! Just about c****ed my drawers when I looked in the mirror!  "This too shall pass" sez I. And, believe me it did!

Capt Deb 8)
Short-haired One-eared Wench!
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:47 am »

for the guys .. I would get it cut short, it just makes showering and cleaning it a lot easier.  (I had BAHA surgery at the same time as the trans-lab so I had extra issues)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 10:31:25 am »
Shorter is easy to take  care of and in the beginning was very welcome...but now I feel so unattractive and frustrated.  Hmm..could be the extra weight gain and other problems to and I'm just taking it out on my hair  LOL

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 11:05:47 am »
I'm planning on keeping it long and my hairdresser close by.  Will update ya after my surgery how I feel about what I did.  I currently have a few inches past shoulder length hair. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

stein78

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 12:25:46 pm »
I'm a guy with short hair as it is, but I got a 'miltary' type buzz cut before surgery.  The doc told me ahead of time that he would be shaving the left half of my head.  Once my hair started to grow back, I got one haircut and everything was the same length.

You can see how much he shaved here, this pic was taken 4 days after surgery.

29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

DeniseSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:32:38 pm »
Gennysmom,

my hair is just past my shoulders. and they just shaved a area of about two inches around my left ear.  If you look at Stein's picture that is the same type incision i had.  My hair was able to cover it up.  However, while I was in the hospital and still had the staples in my head they were putting aquafore on my incision/staples, so it would scab up less so it would be less painful when my staples were removed.  So i had my sister put my hair in a pony tail, other wise my hair was a greasey mess on the left side.  

It is almost a year to the date of my surgery and my hair regrowth is doing great.  it is about two inches shorter than the rest of my hair, but still growing back in full force.  No bald spot, my incision is a small pink line, you can hardly see it anymore.   When i pull my hair back into a ponytail my regrowth of hair is almost long enough to get in the holder, but not quite, so i look like a throwback to
the 80's. Ha Ha!  Also, my hair would probably be longer by now if i had not had the CSF leak and surgery in June.

okay, so enough about me.

Have a GREAT day!
Denise

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 01:07:10 pm »
Stein what type of procedure did you have? 
I know I should know this but can't remember  :(

Funny how some shave and some don't.  You're hair ms gutta mind  LOL