Author Topic: Hair-OH NO!  (Read 15044 times)

stein78

Re: Hair
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 02:28:57 pm »
Stein what type of procedure did you have? 
I know I should know this but can't remember  :(

Funny how some shave and some don't.  You're hair ms gutta mind  LOL

Restrosigmoid.  :D
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 02:57:13 pm »
Thanks Denise!!!!  I was kind of hoping that I could get them to let me put my hair in a ponytail after they shaved the surgery spot so that I wouldn't be pulling on the skin after the surgery.  Then just leave it that way until I can shower.  I know I'm going to be a gookey grease bomb, but, hey, it's better than leaving the tumor in there to do more damage to me. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 03:05:17 pm »
ok, stein I thought so..my scar though I haven't really seen it resembles yours by feel.  Only I had staples and no stiches.  Wonder why some docs shave your head and others don't?

Mom take ponytail holders, scarfs and hats and don't worry about it  LOL  I was allowed to wash my hair without shampoo the first time in the hospital until I got my staples out.  It felt SOOOOO good!  I really didn't care what it looked like after either  LOL

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 04:58:43 pm »
I know at House for translab, they just shave a little off behind your ear--barely noticeable at all.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 04:29:13 am »

Stein, I see that "Ice Mountain" water bottle in the background ... thats who I work for ! ..thanks! gotta keep the insurance paid up  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

stein78

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 08:21:01 am »

Stein, I see that "Ice Mountain" water bottle in the background ... thats who I work for ! ..thanks! gotta keep the insurance paid up  ;D

Good deal!  That's all the wife and I drink!   ;D
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Battyp

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 09:22:47 am »
Gee must be a northern thing as I've never heard of that type of water.  We have yucky bottled water here (IMO)

Static

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 09:30:09 am »
I had a suboccipital and my hair was shaved (the under layer) in a short of upside down L shape in the back right side of my head.  I didn't have staples but dissolving stitches.  Guess they all do it their own way.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Joef

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:01 am »
Gee must be a northern thing as I've never heard of that type of water.  We have yucky bottled water here (IMO)

Actually .. we have water down there too! each region of the country has its own Spring(s) .. but its run by us "Nestle" in the northeast:
   Ice Mountain:Central US
   Arrowhead: West Coast
   Poland Spring/Deer Park: East Coast
   Ozarka: Southern US
   Zephyrhills: Florida / Southeast

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 10:48:52 am »
Joe... shhhhhhh... I use to work for Suntory... you know, Crystal Springs, Belmont Springs, Kentwood Coffee, etc.. ;)

Phyl

Actually .. we have water down there too! each region of the country has its own Spring(s) .. but its run by us "Nestle" in the northeast:
   Ice Mountain:Central US
   Arrowhead: West Coast
   Poland Spring/Deer Park: East Coast
   Ozarka: Southern US
   Zephyrhills: Florida / Southeast
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 11:29:40 am »
really !... the enemy !!  >:( , I knew there was something up with you ;) ... just kidding  :D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:31:25 am by Joef »

Battyp

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 08:06:59 pm »
Ahhh funny I don't like deer park water or zephyrhills but will drink nestle's and spring valley.  They're probably all bottled from the same water.  Some taste like plastic to me? ???

Lisa Peele

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 10:49:57 am »
I had the translab at House.  Just a small area at the back of the head near the ear was shaved...which was completely covered when my hair was down.  Stiches, not staples.  Aveda makes a "hair refresher" product which I used on my bangs and the rest of my hair besides the surgery area.  That worked well enough for the time before I could wash it.  I worried about that first shower and trying to fix my hair for the first time after surgery.  It was not bad at all!

I had hair down to the middle of my back before surgery, but thought it would be too much to take care of, so I had it cut to my shoulders right before surgery...and then I cut it myself (short) about 5 days after surgery for a "new look" (I have zero experience cutting hair--I was clearly not myself--normally I don't even try to trim my bangs).  I freaked my husband out when he came in to see what I was doing in the bathroom for so long at 3 a.m. (those dang steroids!) and found the trash can full of hair and me standing there with quite a lot missing.  Each day afterward, I did a little bit of trimming and he eventually had to hide my scissors for fear I would end up completely bald.

I liked the shorter hair for about 2 weeks (and it was easier to take care of).  But then I just wanted my long hair back.  My advice:  wait until several weeks after surgery to figure out what to do with your hair :). 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 11:53:37 am by Lisa Peele »
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

Battyp

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006, 11:39:54 am »
lisa...OH MY...I probably would have done the same thing if I had left my hair long as there was no way I'd have been able to take care of it...Now I just wish it would grow back.  My head is still so tendar on surgery side that I'd not be able to style it so don't know why I care  LOl

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »
I won't let my hairdresser wash my hair anymore--he loves to scrub and massage the scalp, but when he hits those little titanium plates in my skull--YEOWEE!!  I wash it before I go to him now. I also find that those little plates sometimes feel like they "catch" on the inside of my scalp sometimes when I laugh too hard or have been smiling for a long time.  Weird, huh?

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW