Author Topic: Hair-OH NO!  (Read 15043 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hair
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 01:14:11 pm »
hair still falling out here (in good amts) almost 4 wks post treatment.  Thinned on front hairline (now, granted, I have a lot of hair, but as a hairdresser, I know where to look and yes, the front hairline is affected).  Can't wait for it to stop falling out. I'm shedding everwhere worse than Beanie (my Pug)

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »
Everywhere?
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2006, 08:42:48 pm »
Yeah--no more pesky back hair for our Pearly Girly!!!!

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:38 pm »
When I was 34, I had full-blown Scarlet Fever.   Wouldn't of made it without antibiotics.  Was 104 for 5 days straight.  Lost 1/2 my hair (luckily even all over).  Was very traumatic.  I could feel the breeze on my scalp.  Good luck Phyl...when it grows back in it sticks straight up so you look fuzzy!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

luv2teachsped

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2006, 12:33:26 am »
I too had very short hair. My incision wasn't healing ,thinking my stylist was nicking it with the razor, I have grown it out some.  Almost a year, and I still have scabs! anybody else take this long to heal.  Also think my hair has grown back thinner on AN side. Could be I just am not used to it longer!luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2006, 09:16:50 am »
ok, found new thinning spot on front hairline.. now, that makes 2.   :'(  BUT, I meet with BI this Monday for my 1-month post treatment follow up (MRI to check brain edema, tumor team, etc) to see how things are going. Will also have them check my head for my bald spots... heck, still the least of my worries.. just wish the stoopid crickets would pipe down.  Giving me a headache!

TGIF all!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2006, 11:05:25 am »
Did your doctors tell you that you would lose some of your hair?  Mine said that this is not a by-product of Gamma Knife unless they happened to be targeting something very close to the scalp.  Is this a stress induced hair loss, maybe?  ???  Well, I do hope that after effect stops SOON.  Now I'll probably be looking for my hair to fall out now!!  I have a hair appointment next week.  I'll have to ask him if my hair looks thinner! 

Su

e
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2006, 01:30:42 pm »
Hey Sue

Yeah, I was aware that some of my hair would "thin", which it has. I by-product of the radiosurgery and that's ok.  I was told the same as you since the radiation would be deeper than skin/surface, but that's ok..... it'll grow back! :)  As for your hair, oh, I'm sure it's fine. When I wash mine, I notice a bit more hair in the drain. If you notice that as well, then sure.. some thinning.. and if not, that's awesome. My hair is the least of my worries... :)

Phyl

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 07:57:07 am »
mmm hair loss - can't really afford to lose any more - ageing thing for us blokes. Still, your right girly, it's the least of the issues. As long as the energy levels are high for you know who and you know what - your boss and work of course!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 12:17:07 pm »
still falling out... :( 

..and dear Wenchy Pirate, NOT from my back... none there to fall out, you wench!  ;D :-* ;)

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 05:44:31 pm »
My hair over the orginal incision sites remains very thin (if any at all) so I have to be careful when picking my hair styles....if the wind blows the wrong way you can see the bald line....about 1" thick and about 3" long...that's the orginal surgery site from 15 years ago...the recent one is right behind the ear and not noticable.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 01:34:13 pm »
I'm a guy with short hair as it is, but I got a 'miltary' type buzz cut before surgery.  The doc told me ahead of time that he would be shaving the left half of my head.  Once my hair started to grow back, I got one haircut and everything was the same length.

You can see how much he shaved here, this pic was taken 4 days after surgery.

My incision scar is almost identical to yours.

Being a guy, I didn't think much about my hair, pre-op, so now I have a conventional men's haircut with one side shaved and a few 'bald spots' from the surgery monitoring attachments.  It's a real mess.  I now wear a baseball cap whenever I leave the house.  However, I see my barber next week and intend to get a 'military cut' (like yours) so that my hair will grow back in some kind of reasonable pattern.  That shouldn't take too long.

Now that I'm well into my recovery, I want to look - as well as feel - 'normal' again!
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sefra22

Re: Hair-OH NO!
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:15 am »
I read this thread just in time. I have been looking at shorter hairstyles, and not seeing anything I think would look good on me.  I have had long hair all my life, and the thought of cutting it short was traumatic. Now I know I should wait, I may still have to cut it at some point, but hopefully I can camoflouge.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

cookiesecond

Re: Hair-OH NO!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:01 am »
I had the translab approach and they only cut very little. You couldn't even tell it unless I pulled my hair back to show my incision. I have longer hair too.
Lynn