Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117399 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

And remind me not to eat anything you guys cook.  No nutritional yeast flaked-vegemited-carmel cricket popcorn for me, thank you.  I'll be fine with a nice plate of conch fritters and a mango.

Lori
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

OH my sides are killing me
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »
Every time I check out this thread it's taken another turn - and a bad turn at that.

Whatever happened to the topic at hand?

I thought we were here to discuss Health Care Reform.

If this wasn't in the Community, I'd have to insist that Phyl start cracking her whip!!!   >:(

;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2010, 12:35:00 pm »
oh Jan...your just upset no one is getting in trouble for this OBVIOUS "derailing"!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2010, 01:18:35 pm »
Darn straight.

Lori and I always get called on "acting out" and "hijacking" - I just want to share that "love" with others  :D

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »
Still on topic, Jannie.

We're moving to Antigua due to the health care bill, remember?  And then something about crickets in the popcorn and frogs in hot water...sheesh, you just can't pay attention, can you?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2010, 03:02:21 pm »
Every time I check out this thread it's taken another turn - and a bad turn at that.

Whatever happened to the topic at hand?

I thought we were here to discuss Health Care Reform.

If this wasn't in the Community, I'd have to insist that Phyl start cracking her whip!!!   >:(\;)

Jan ~

The new health care 'reform' law is a very serious issue that will definitely have an impact on AN patients so I've addressed it from that perspective, albeit with my slant that finds it to be financially unsustainable, unconstitutional and an expansion of government power over private citizens that most Americans will soon find to be onerous and hardly the 'deal' they thought they were getting with the passage of this law.  Any U.S. law that states a citizen must purchase health care insurance that meets 'government standards' or face a $695. fine (this goes into effect in 2014) is a law that should give those who cherish their freedom, something to think about. 

That having been said (nearly interminably, on my part, for which I apologize) I think Phyl and others are seeking to 'lighten things up' with some banter that is 180° from the deadly serious tone that necessarily permeates most posts relating to this sea-change in American's relationship to their government. I'm good with that because, as I stated in an earlier post, I'm not interested in debating the merits and/or drawbacks of the new law in the public forum but I've tried to state the realities and why I believe they're going to have a negative impact on us all, in some way, be it with a reduced level of health care i.e. long wait times for appointments and less time doctors can spend with you, being refused specific procedures or medications you once received, higher taxes and the inevitable long-range impact of ballooning federal deficits that will eventually cause hyper-inflation and a diminished standard of living for those of us who have contributed to society for most of our lives and never expected to have our government become the arbiter of our medical care.  Some of us think this is wrong.  Un-American, if you will.  'American exceptionalism' is based on the fact that this nation was born of a people who rejected a corrupt monarchy and struck out on their own.  America's history does not include kings, emperors or dictators decreeing what is law and how Americans will be forced to obey the decree.  Over 50% of the American public was against this new law and the Washington politicians that pushed it had to bribe, coerce and beg members of their own party to vote for it.  In some cases, Representatives that did so ignored the will of their constituents.  That is not a representative democracy.  Many Americans realize this and, details of the new law aside, are irate.   Add to that, the politicians attempted demonization of people who publicly protested against the bill as the same politicians try to play the victim by claiming they've been 'threatened' by those against the new health care 'reform' law and you have a very corrosive political atmosphere.  No one likes it and I can understand why some posters would rather change the subject, as it were.  Because this is an 'open' forum, that can happen.  I doubt Phyl will scold anyone for changing the subject from one that is decidedly serious and intense to one that is, shall we say 'lighter'.  Frankly, I don't mind too much.  However, I assume those who still wish to add a comment that pertains to the thread title will, if they chose. I keep hoping to end my active participation in the thread but new posts seem to make that problematic for me.  However, I fear that readers will grow weary of my pontificating so I'll try to restrain my instincts and let the thread play out in whatever way that it will.  If that means a lot of lighthearted posts about food and foreign travel, so be it.  Still, I trust that the thread has enlightened a few folks and not caused any real friction, because, as serious as this issue is, no one visits the ANA forums to be upset and all of us want to support other AN patients - not argue with them.  In that light, I thank those who've posted - civilly, I'm happy to note - and I hope that all future posts on this thread will maintain that commendable level of decorum as we move forward to whatever the future holds for us in this Brave New World of 'universal' health care in America. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:56 pm »
Jim,
I certainly don't tire of your "pontification".  Every time I read one of your posts I learn something new and your views on this subject reflect mine.  So thank you once again.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

rupert

« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »
Uhh,   could someone explain what vegemite is.   I take that it is healthy?    Never heard of it,  and I get around.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »
FYI, here's the text of the bill as it was enacted into law by president Obama:  http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d22-Health-care-reform-passes-whats-in-the-bill-read-HR-4872.  Btw, he signed the "fixes" bill into law today.. *sigh*

The best I can tell, both the "Health Care" bill and the "fixes" bill are here to view..  Be careful, because their each over 2000 pages (2,310 and 2,409 respectively)..  

I've yet to find a laymen terms version of each..  Given that the "fixes" bill is designed to take the first bill and "remove this" and "insert this in it's place", you'd have to read both simultaneously to be able to read the whole thing...

Incidentally, I would be SHOCKED if ANYONE in Congress (or the President) actually read both bills to see what's in them cover to cover.

Happy reading!

Oh, and Jim, AMEN brother..  I've right there with you 100%..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2010, 04:14:59 pm »
Uhh,   could someone explain what vegemite is.   I take that it is healthy?    Never heard of it,  and I get around.

Go here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

All you ever wanted to know about vegemite and then some.

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2010, 06:37:24 am »
Thanks for the text of the bill, Pooter.

Next time I'm REALLY, REALLY bored I may attempt to read it.

Then again, I would probably find it too depressing  :'(

I'm with you - and Jim.

Jan

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31:00 am »
Hey, as far as I've heard about Massachusetts aren't they 'in the red' in as much as they have had to borrow substantial amounts of $$'s from the Government to prop up their version of 'health care'?  If their version is being touted as successful I guess this will be telling of our future and the failure of this 'backroom deal'.  Which by the way, WE THE PEOPLE will have to suffer the consequences of a nation that is already bankrupt--a total collapse maybe? 

As for the rest of you moving I've been thinking about Texas with their 'tough-as-nails' Sheriff Joe Arpaio, New Zealand, or Australia who isn't afraid to let people know what's acceptable and what's not by inviting those that don't want to conform can leave.  Okay, I'm going to make a new sign to use at my next Tea Party Rally this weekend that my dog, Blu and I have been attending.  Keeping up the good fight. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Lizard

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:36 am »
Hey ANer's,
Didn't mean to derail the true discussion here with my plans to move to Antigua, but on a serious note I am terrified of this bill.
I was speaking with my husband and he mentioned that this "law" (ick) still has a chance to be decomissioned...with a change in party at the next election the funding for the program can be stopped and for lack of a better phrase put on the back burner...not sure long term, but hopefully we elect someone opposed to the change.
My 2 cents....
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

grega

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:33 am »
some more two cents .... perhaps the bill would look a bit better in a layer of vegemite  ::)

"Ten inconvenient truths about Obamacare"
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Ten-inconvenient-questions-about-Obamacare-88853462.html

I know, these are rather simple explanations to very complex and ridiculously confusing issues contained therein, but it might make you want to search for, and read more on these topics.

Thanks to all for this interesting discussion.
Greg

1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:57 am »
As for the rest of you moving I've been thinking about Texas with their 'tough-as-nails' Sheriff Joe Arpaio, New Zealand, or Australia who isn't afraid to let people know what's acceptable and what's not by inviting those that don't want to conform can leave.   

If memory serves, Sheriff Joe Arpaio is from Arizona (Maricopa County, to be exact), not Texas.  I'm in Texas, and we'd love to have you over here!

Carry on..

Regards,
Brian