Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117452 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »
......sitting down on the couch with her bowl of popcorn sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar and a little salt.i]  

AHEM........when you begin to read this monstrosity you will see for yourselves that this is the biggest power grab by our government for control.  Under this lovely plan you can only receive so much care per year, you will have no choice to choose your benefits, the government will have real-time access to our finances and elective funds transfers, private information regarding our health, education, and major portions of the US constitution.  healthcare?  REALLY?!  

1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
Excellent points, Omaschwannoma.

I'm with the group that feels this is unconstitutional - despite what "the Supremes" (or even Diana Ross) might thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »
Jan I agree, this is not looking good....I'm worried where this will bring us as a country. 
If this goes south my husband and I are planning to move to Antigua to open a shaved ice stand with our two dogs!!!!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cheryl R

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
Soundy, We don't hear of other Jan Brett fans too often.    Our family has been due to our youngest daughter when in late teens to twenties having had 2 pygmy hedgehogs at various times.     We went to Omaha  once to a booksigning which was such fun.  She has such a neat website too.           Sarah even had a hedgie with her one semester with her in her own room at college.        I also discovered in time that I was very allergic to hedgehog dander.  It is the only thing I have ever had wheezing with.     After she lost them over time with illness,gave up and now has kitties.            So fun to hear of your family liking Jan Brett.   
                                                                  Cheryl R   

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »
I

Hey Daisey Head ... I know a garage sale or ebay might gain you some $$$ ...and Goodwill would do so for their cause ... but something we have done and has gone over well is take gently used , outgrown books to school and have teachers give them to kids that don't have many books of their own ... we have a fund during Book Fair week and try to put books in kids hand who otherwise can't afford them ... there are maybe a dozen or so of us that pass our kids books back to school to kids without ...

Soundy,

Brilliant idea! I will contact the local public school and attempt to do just that to see how they best think these should be distributed.

I am making sure that my kids are being well versed on the healthcare issues in both Canada in the USA … and do not let one government manipulate their education on this - one way or the other. In fact I have had my high school eldest follow some of our ANA threads and news stories from various sources on the healthcare bill… especially since she will be a voter in a couple of years. (Jim Scott's writing has her asking me the most questions  ;)- for sure. )

I am a big advocate of the one-person-one-vote democracy here in the USA- over the parliamentary one however the public has a responsibility to keep themselves educated and informed if this democracy is to work and be affective. My concern is when people only get their information from just one TV network (or AM radio) source and do not read (watch and/or listen to) the other views. When the TV viewer is stuck on one channel and becomes "the voter"- that is a very scary concept.

Truth is I want to see the “entire document” (health bill) in print now. (Is it really 2000 pages as someone posted?  :o ) Sometimes I feel we are a discussing an elephant that we have not seen (or read) in its entirety. I guess it is not written in layman's terms by any stretch of the imagination?

I guess I want to be the mouse that listens to ALL sides and runs all over the big huge thing- to understand the big picture in its entirety.

Scotty (aka Jim Scott)- you are actually helping to educate my whole family. Know that the following words went up on the “vocab”: list on our  big white board from this thread:

•   Idiom (simple one just for my 5th grader)
•   eminent domain
•   constitutional muster
•   legally-constituted
•   arbiters
•   supplicant
•   hyperbole
•   vindicated
•   straw man (idiom)
•   demonizing
•   belabor
•   germane
I think my high school eldest is going to surprise her  teachers when she starts throwing in these words into her assignments. (Well of course I am making them-all look up words they don’t know!) I can’t wait until we take out the scrabble board on this predicted PNW wet weather weekend… However know the teenager would rather be texting friends (know texting is totally sabotaging the next generation’s English writing skills big time)… and borrowing the car keys instead… instead of playing scrabble with her middle-aged parents (ho Hum  :-\)

If we ever have a scrabble contest with the ANA forumites I want moderators Scotty and limerick-writing- Stevie on my team!!!! Although  ;) how will we know  if they are not making up words like Dr. Seuss did... Hmmm??)

JS-You truly are beaming us up.

“Beam me up Scotty!”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_me_up,_Scotty

Cheryl,
Jan Brett IS an amazing illustrator. Beautiful detail in her artwork.

DHM
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:09:18 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2010, 05:37:32 am »
If this goes south my husband and I are planning to move to Antigua to open a shaved ice stand with our two dogs!!!!

Sounds like an excellent idea.  Count me in  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39:40 am »
for your morning coffee/tea/beverage reading pleasure.... from today's Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2010/03/30/romney_defends_massachusetts_health_care_law/

a little snipet.... you can read the rest at the link above:

"Romney defends Mass. health care law
Points to differences from Obama overhaul
By Sasha Issenberg
Globe Correspondent / March 30, 2010

AMES, Iowa — Mitt Romney offered an enthusiastic defense last night of the comprehensive health care law he helped create four years ago in Massachusetts, even as he pointed to crucial distinctions between it and a similar national program enacted last week by Democrats.

Overall, ours is a model that works,’’ Romney said in response to a question after a speech at Iowa State University. “We solved our problem at the state level. Like it or not, it was a state solution. Why is it that President Obama is stepping in and saying ‘one size fits all’ ’’?

Obama’s signing of a federal health care law has put Romney — a possible 2012 presidential candidate — again on the defensive over the most significant achievement in his brief career in public office. The former governor, who has been mentioned as a possible candidate again for president in 2012, had labeled Obama’s bill “unhealthy for America’’ and has called for its repeal, even as conservative critics say it was modeled on Romney’s policy........"
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:06 am »

I am a big advocate of the one-person-one-vote democracy here in the USA

Me, too.  Too bad the electoral college blows this idea straight to hell.

One person, one vote?  In the United States??

There have been several times that the President won the popular vote and lost the election.

Jan

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:25 am »

Sounds like an excellent idea.  Count me in  ;D

Jan

me too... and Captn Deb will guide the PBW safely to its shores!  Aye Matie! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

grega

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2010, 06:07:22 am »
DH Mayzie ..... answering a question you posed a while back .... "Anyone have a good recipe for Caramel popcorn?" .... one suggestion is: pop popcorn .... open bag .... unwrap caramel .... eat both.  ;D

Perhaps it'll go well with shaved ice in Antigua.   
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2010, 09:30:10 am »
Wiki tells me the main sport there is cricket
“Sport: The major Antiguan sport is cricket”

Anyone know how to play? 

I have not a clue…

Here is one of the newspapers
http://www.antiguaobserver.com/

… hmmm our little discussion of USA health care bill NOT even on their news headlines today there…

Pearly Whites I found a recipe for caramel popcorn  ;D (Grega’s recipe did not turn out so well and he is now fired ;)  as the cruise chef  :D)… Do you have any brown sugar?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel-Popcorn/Detail.aspx

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2010, 09:40:35 am »
I know cricket... and did you see my post above for the updated news, brought you by the Boston Globe and  Mitt Romney? :)  As for the carmel corn, I stay clear of it.... pulls out my teeth fillings! Like to keep me pearly whites all pearly white!  ;D

Wiki tells me the main sport there is cricket
“Sport: The major Antiguan sport is cricket”

Anyone know how to play? 

I have not a clue…

Here is one of the newspapers
http://www.antiguaobserver.com/

… hmmm our little discussion of USA health care bill NOT even on their news headlines today there…

Pearly Whites I found a recipe for caramel popcorn  ;D (Grega’s recipe did not turn out so well and he is now fired ;)  as the cruise chef  :D)… Do you have any brown sugar?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel-Popcorn/Detail.aspx

DHM

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:12 am »
I know cricket... and did you see my post above for the updated news, brought you by the Boston Globe and  Mitt Romney? :)  As for the carmel corn, I stay clear of it.... pulls out my teeth fillings! Like to keep me pearly whites all pearly white!  ;D

Right oh. Popcorn with butter and nutritional yeast flakes it IS then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

Has anyone tried vegemite or marmite on popcorn?

Right then blokes- when do the cricket lessons begin?

Tally ho. Ta ta for now darling… must head to the shops  as me larder is also empty of buttah.

DHM
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:07:13 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

grega

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2010, 10:35:09 am »
Please, DH Mayzie ..... before ya make the firing official, please let me try one more recipe regarding the subject you just introduced .... caramel crickets .... spider crickets with those long legs.  If you can catch 'em before the cats do.

And, unlike those froggies .... ya just drop 'em in that boiling brew (haha!). 

Better than caramel popcorn anyday!

Vegemite on popcorn?  Why not ask Larry or Shelley down under.
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2010, 10:57:45 am »
I have my bags packed and I'm ready for my ride to Antigua.  The only sport I will be participating in is weightlifting - I think 12oz of something tall and cold will do nicely.

And remind me not to eat anything you guys cook.  No nutritional yeast flaked-vegemited-carmel cricket popcorn for me, thank you.  I'll be fine with a nice plate of conch fritters and a mango.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.