Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117074 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:47 pm »
Very informative post, Jim.

I probably learned more from your post than I've learned from all the news channels and websites.  Very well done  :)

Lori, I'm with Grega, you've got my vote   ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »
My predictions, which allow me to voice a view without being argumentative  ;) :

1. The "mandate" will remain, since it is just a tax, and I don't think they are going to revoke the Fed's ability to impose taxes. The opt-out is to pay the tax instead of getting insurance.

2. The insurance companies will stay in business and prosper. While they will now be limited to keeping no more than 20% of premiums for themselves, their customer base will grow, and so will their bottom line.

3. Brad Pitt will happily take the part of Scott Brown. Actors like taking contrary edgy roles, and what better than a pro-choice Republican senator from Massachusetts?

4. Phyl will slap me silly as she shoves the popcorn towards me and strongly suggests I stuff some in my mouth.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »
to tell the truth ... I don't eat them ...*ducking to dodge empty popcorn bowl* and not mentioning I don't eat popcorn either  :o...

I know .. both are a small  sin ... truth be known I don't care for chocoalte of any kind all that much

but my husband and the girls love them ... Oreos and popcorn ...and make up for my lack of enthusiasum

I snack on  mashed taters , grits and dry uncooked raman noodles ...I know ...odd... and should blame it on brain surgery but did it before
I had surgery  :)

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:42 pm »
HMMM ...So basically a wise financial move, right about now, would be to buy stocks in the medical insurance companies ... and Orville Redenbacher?  ;)

Brad Pitt Huh :-\

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »
Great posts everyone.  I should go to work for UPS, like my son, and be a Teamster.  He has great insurance.  He hardly paid for a thing after he blew out his ACL and had to have knee surgery.   

I am hoping my supplemental insurance will cover things that medicare won't cover.  I honestly shouldn't talk about any of this insurance stuff, because I don't know anything about it.   I just know that in a year I will have medicare and a supplemental like most other seniors.  It's better than nothing.  Which a lot of people have.  Nothing.

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:43 am »
Ok, since I've gotten the role of Nancy P.,  I will begin preparing by working on my permanently fixed smile, my ability to pop up and down out of a seat at a moments notice to clap loudly (talk about a workout!) and I will schedule my frontal lobotomy.  I wonder if insurance will cover that?   ???

Soundy, I think I figured out the cause of your medical issues - you need to eat more chocolate!     :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 06:33:15 am »
G'mornin all,

Steve, I beg to differ .... the law's provision is not just a tax .... it's a federally-imposed penalty for not purchasing a product.  This is unheard of and uncalled for, and only one of the measures for which so many are upset at the "lawmakers" elected to represent us.

Soundy, living so close to DC, the cable news shows and the local channels bombard this area 24/7 with every aspect and angle of health care, tea partiers, cap & trade, etc, etc, etc.  So, on a lighter note, I agree with you .... Denzel's a good choice, but not as the prez.  With his great smile, height and energy, and with a great team of makeup artists, how bout Michelle?  :o   He could add a few pounds for the role, and then thru the movie, slim down as "she" focuses efforts on getting the country to become more physically fit and thereby adding emphasis to ways to reduce health care costs.  Might just work ........

Lori .... I love your "just-posted" post ....... let your imagination run wild with the Nancy Ligosi ..... I mean Pelozzi .... role!
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Lynn Mc

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:33 am »
Who is going to play Biden now!!!  He thinks this insurance thing is ******* wonderful! 
I really don't understand to much about the insurance as it seems if you blink the rules change.  I am now getting ready to do round 1 with my insurance company about the BAHA!!!
Thanks Jim for you post.
Pass the popcorn & oreos this way.  I need a break from my diet!!

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

sgerrard

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:03 am »
Steve, I beg to differ .... the law's provision is not just a tax .... it's a federally-imposed penalty for not purchasing a product.  This is unheard of and uncalled for

It was first proposed by John McCain back in the 90's; supported by Tommy Thompson in the Bush administration; and by Mitt Romney in Mass. It was not Obama's preference back in 2008.

It is not possible to eliminate denial for pre-existing conditions unless you make insurance a mandate. Otherwise people would just buy insurance when they were sick, and cancel it when then were well again, which would never work.

If I don't contribute $1000 to charity this year, my income tax bill will be $300 higher next April. If a tax penalty for not doing something is unconstitutional, then we will have to eliminate the "federal mandate to contribute to charity else your taxes will be higher" provisions of the tax code. I don't think we want to go there.

So I predict it will hold up. I do hope they change the wording, so it is more palatable to people. Something like "your taxes go up, but you get a tax credit if you have health insurance" would do the trick, and be exactly the same thing.

Steve

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 09:55:11 am »
Steve,

With all due respect, whether it be a tax or not a tax doesn't much matter..  It is unconstitutional for the federal government to require you to purchase a certain good or service.  If this holds up, then there will be no bounds for the federal government to require you to purchase something (probably one of their campaign contributing companies).  The founders of this country intentionally didn't give that authority to the federal government precisely because of the potential problems and conflicts of interest that introduces let alone they wanted the states to be somewhat autonomous.  The federal government has over-stepped it's authority.  They are limited by the expressed "powers" written in the constitution and the rest are given to the states.  That was by design and with good reason, in my opinion.  I predict that it will be over-turned on constitutional grounds, however they may take years.  We all must endure these unfunded mandates that bankrupt even further the states, higher taxes, and God knows what else while that happens.  Regardless of party, what they've done is unconstitutional.

Wow.. I got through that without any F bombs..  I'm better than Biden.  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:55 am »

Soundy, I think I figured out the cause of your medical issues - you need to eat more chocolate!     :D

Lori

there is a Snicker Bar on the counter ... maybe I should I eat it ... I have 14 month old grand daughter keeping me company today
and could blame its disappearance on her and report back here later if any of my issues have resolved
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

grega

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 02:16:51 pm »
Most important - Soundy, how bout eating a small bit and then putting the rest in the freezer for later, then later, then later .........

Second most - Thanks Steve and Brian, for the interesting discussion ..... something that makes this country great!   When the government ignores our views and wishes, and creates laws against what the Constitution intended, then those lawmakers have made this country a bit less great.

From the LA Times .... "What will the overhaul do, and when?"
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-health-box24-2010mar24,0,4811860.story
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:58 pm »
Without being argumentative, I would like to offer my opinion on a couple of salient issues that have been raised in this discussion. 

It's true that by paying a fine or a 'tax', since that is what will likely allow this provision to pass constitutional muster, one may 'opt out' of 'ObamaCare'.  However, the problem is that now, the government has become the sole legally-constituted authority on what kind of health care Americans are allowed to receive.  By virtue of government bureaucracies 'regulating' formally private, independent insurance carriers, doctors, hospitals these bureaucracies (aka 'the government') become the arbiters that will determine both the level and frequency of your health care, stripping the patient and his/her doctor of the freedom of choice.  I fail to see how this will improve health care for any of us and I find the provision in HR4872, now a law, that provides for the imposition of a fine/tax for not carrying what the IRS deems 'adequate' health care insurance an affront to individual liberty.  In addition, there are many 'time bombs' embedded - too many to list, here - in this massive piece of legislation that will bring grief to many Americans, used to getting whatever health care they need, albeit, at a cost.  That once-satisfactory state of affairs will end for many.  Medicare recipients will suffer the most, as expected.  According to the new law, The Health Choices Commissioner will choose your health care benefits for you.  Actually, government bureaucrats will determine a host of medical issues for you, reducing the patient to little more than a supplicant.  Once that MRI is denied you'll be out of luck and with no real option to appeal, especially if you're a 'senior citizen' not deemed to be 'contributing' to society.  If this seems like hyperbole, just wait until the harsh reality of this new law begins to manifest itself.  It won't take long.  Frankly, I'm almost looking forward to being vindicated by events as that will mean that a lot of people will be rudely awakened to what the congress has wrought, and they won't be pleased.  Unfortunately, I've followed this bill, now the law of the land, and I have some idea of whats coming...and it isn't very encouraging.           

The issue of insurance companies reaping huge profits is a bit of a straw man.  Insurance companies will become mere administrators for the government bureaucracy that will determine, by law, who they insure and how much they can charge, which will definitely reduce their profits.  Insuring anyone who applies, whether they have just been diagnosed with a serious illness or been injured in an accident will skew the whole concept of shared risk and with the government demonizing insurance companies and now having the authority to set their prices for them, the reasonable method of charging people a premium based on their age, health status, occupation and other factors is out the window.  Costs will definitely rise. 

I don't wish to belabor my objection to this new law but I wanted to state my opinion.  Having done so, I'll try to refrain from adding more and hope that others will want to participate in the discussion, which is germane to us all.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 05:13:45 pm »
Question for those who've watched the news.

Last evening I saw a teaser that said that this health care reform bill was also somehow linked to student loans.  Then I changed channels and forgot to watch  :P  Can anyone explain that?

I have no student loans, but in 4 1/2 short years I'll be looking to fund college for two children, so I'd imagine I'll be in the market - unless Lori really does become Nancy Pelosi and decides to bankroll my kids' education.  Don't worry, Pooter; she'll "gift" you a BAHA implant at the same time.

Grega -  you're humor is killing me  :D  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:15 pm »

With all due respect, whether it be a tax or not a tax doesn't much matter.. 

With equal respect, that is what I don't agree with. That it is only a tax makes all the difference. The Fed cannot put me in jail for not buying health insurance - that would be clearly unconstitutional. But the Fed can and does tax me for not doing certain things.

I recently bought a new furnace. I bought the 95% one, so I will get a $1200 tax credit next year. Had I chosen to get an 80% efficient one, the Fed can and would have charged me $1200 more in taxes next year. They have in effect mandated what kind of furnace I buy. If that is constitutional, then so is charging me more tax if I don't buy health insurance. I am not so much commenting on whether it is good or bad, as on whether there is a legal basis for the Fed to implement public policy through taxes. I claim there is and will continue to be.

Since we as a forum consider this a place to vent, among other things, I appreciate having this topic in which to vent. We shall see what happens!

Steve