Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420117 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #780 on: March 26, 2011, 07:27:30 am »
Good luck, Keri  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #781 on: March 26, 2011, 08:30:26 am »
Run, Keri, run!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #782 on: March 26, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »
My son discovered a new weight loss program, going to Hawaii.  He was there for a week and lost 12 pounds, said he changed his diet a bit and got lots of exercise just seeing and hiking around the Islands.  Hubby & I want to go there at least twice, that should take care of the extra pounds.   :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #783 on: March 27, 2011, 08:42:51 pm »
that sounds like an expensive weight loss program, jill marie!

thanks, everyone for the marathon cheers. it was a beautiful, cool day, which is great. runners sometimes speak of setting a PR or personal record. is usually means 'personal best.' well, i set a PR, but it wasn't the best! i set a 'personal record' of running my slowest marathon! oh well, that's ok. didn't hit any of those time goals i listed earlier, but i did finish. i had a bad cold earlier in the week, but i felt fine near the end of the week and on race day. i felt stronger and better than i have in some of my other marathons (i only felt really awful from miles 21-25), so i was surprised it was my slowest. overall, i 'enjoyed' it and was happy i ran/finished it.

it was a pretty course, ran along the potomac and anacostia rivers. all the cherry blossoms were out, though we weren't exactly where most of them are concentrated (good thing, though, or we'd be running over tourists).

as a long time cowboy fan, i never thought i'd be so excited to see RKF stadium !! (where the finish was and the redskins used to play back when they were good).

have a great week and share what you're doing now that it's getting warmer!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #784 on: March 28, 2011, 07:20:13 am »
Keri .....

I am so impressed that you even ran in the marathon, let alone finishing!  Given your history and having recently had a cold, it is amazing that you completed the race!  So my personal congratulations to you!!

One of my sons and his family were in D.C. all last week and had a marvelous time.  I have only been there once during cherry blossom time and it was breathtaking.

Rest and recover now!  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

texsooner

« Reply #785 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:30 am »
Keri, I agree with Clarice. To have had a bad cold leading up to it and completing the marathon is great. A lot of people would have probably dropped out in similar circumstances. I know people in the Houston Marathon that dropped just because they didn't like the weather conditions. You're probably like me thinking that you labored by running all the training miles, that nothing will stop you from doing the marathon when the time comes. Even though you didn't set a "best" PR, now you have something to shoot for in the next one....do a better time than your last marathon. Congrats on chalking up yet another marathon.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #786 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:17 pm »
thanks Patrick and Clarice and everyone.
Usually at most every race I've ever done, long, short, whatever, there's mile markers so you can see how your pace is. Well, they had a mile marker like, every 5 miles! Crazy! I thought i was half blind in addition to being half deaf, so i sent out an email to the other runners and found out that there really were hardly any mile markers. When you're doing a marathon, the mile markers really help - if you're going too fast, that can mess you up later and all that. So, besides not really knowing how i was doing, it was still a good experience. Usually i start feeling like crap at mile 18, this time it wasn't until mile 21! I guess that's a small victory!

For the immediate future (after i can move my legs again) i'm going to bike more and do some half marathons and a June 10 miler. I would also like to do some trail running. So that will occupy me until i start training for the Marine Corps Marathon, which will be in October, but i'm not going to think about that yet!!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #787 on: March 29, 2011, 11:23:00 am »
Our walk was called off Saturday due to heavy lightening in area ... may be re-staged this weekend

Congrats on finishing Keri ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #788 on: March 29, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
Congrats, Keri!  You know so very few people even attempt a full marathon, much less finish it, much less do as well as you do!  Be nothing but very proud of yourself! 

Jill, I'm going to speak w/ my husband about that Hawaii weight loss program, see if he'll sign us up ;)

I skipped out on my little 5k on Saturday - had to go to a Japanese language speaking contest my son participated in...very interesting!  Spent the rest of the weekend eating way too much chocolate :-\  I need to be smacked!  Will watch Biggest Loser tonight to make myself feel even more guilty and, hopefully, behave better this week...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #789 on: April 02, 2011, 11:05:34 am »
I like that Hawaii diet idea.

Now if everyone on this Forum would just send me $5, I'll go ahead and book my airfare  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2011, 01:04:47 pm »
I like that Hawaii diet idea.

Now if everyone on this Forum would just send me $5, I'll go ahead and book my airfare  ;)

Jan

"Check is in the mail," Jan ;)

Had a friend in town for a few days and did nothing but shop and eat (and have a great time!)...hitting the trail this afternoon for a jog/walk for the first time in a week or so.  Then, my Zumba class and Cardio/Weight class for "seasoned" adults on Friday - hopefully I'll be back on track somewhat then ???  So easy to stop, but so tough to get going again!

How are y'all doing out there?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #791 on: April 07, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »
determined to get a run in by 9am I.... didn't.

my bike has a flat.

got to do something today. it's finally beautiful outside!

keri
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #792 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:22 am »
Raining here - but they are promising high temps (maybe in the 80's) for the weekend.

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #793 on: April 08, 2011, 09:13:17 am »
As I mentioned, been a slacker the past week or so...so, this morning I got up (early ;) ) drove all the way to my two new classes only to find out there were no classes due to Spring Break - well, I almost worked out  ::)   So, instead, I drove over to Chik fil A and got a sweet tea...therefore, not only did I not burn any calories, I gained some from the sweet tea - ugh!  On the bright side, should be a gorgeous weekend here!  Beautiful time of year to be in Atlanta! 

Have a great weekend, all! Hope you get those high temps, Jan!  Keri, get your flat fixed and get on your bike!  Where are the rest of you?  Sara, Kaybo, Soundy, Jill, Clarice and others we haven't heard from in awhile - come in and let us know how you're doing  ;D

cindy
feeling great!

Kaybo

« Reply #794 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
I haven't done anything the last 2 weeks - it seems like I have been cramming everything in to get it done before my surgery.  We went to Galveston last weekend with just Addi (the other 2 girlies had a surprise trip to Disneyland for the weekend from Grandma!) - we ate and ate!!  Now it kind of seems pointless to workout!  I am going to go plant some flowers though and MIGHT go for a walk...however, I will probably go to lunch with Dave instead!!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!