Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418890 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #450 on: July 18, 2010, 07:51:01 pm »
So, I didn't really get to finish a while ago...

I actually went waterskiing yesterday!  That is one of the things that I have wanted to try since my surgery/stroke.  I actually "wake boarded" (something that wasn't even really around before my surgery - I just skiied) and got up on the 1st try!!  Snaps for me!!  I was very proud of myself!   ;D  It is basically like a snowboard - you have both feet in "boots" and start with the board kind of perpindular to the water and then after you get up, you rotate where your legs are one behind the other (if that makes sense  ???)  I am not near as sore today as I thought that I would be - I could actually get out of bed! - but I will need to do something tomorrow so I am not so sore.

So, that better count as MAJOR exercise...along with proving to myself that I can still do something else that I could do before surgery - even if it took me a while!!  I really didn't have the opportunity until now, but also is something that I absolutely wouldn't have been able to do for many years!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2010, 06:17:02 am »
Water skiing, Kay?   :D

Awesome!!!  I've never water skiied in my life, although it looks like a lot of fun.

Congrats!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #452 on: July 21, 2010, 07:52:24 am »
Kay,
that's great! sounds like fun. i'm so glad you got to do ski/waterboard.. whoops i guess that's the wrong term!

jan - when do you and lori and others? meet up? is it this weekend? have a great time. i met lori a couple of weeks ago (and her family). it was so nice to meet them and spend some time with them. i'd like to post some pictures.

last week as part of my marathon training program, we had a long 18 mile point to point run. it was sooo hot and humid. we started in maryland, ran down rock creek (which, if you're ever in the DC area on the weekend is a lovely trail/street they close off that winds by the zoo and down near the Mall), and then from the kennedy center.. past lincoln memorial... washington memorial.. till we metro'd back. i had gatorade with me. i stopped at the zoo and was going to beg someone for ice, but the shops weren't open. my dollar bills were so wet with humidity that they wouldn't work in the machine ( just needed some cold water so badly). finally someone gave me change and that worked and i got a $3 bottle of cold water (pricey but worth it).  so i ran down to the mall. by then my water was warm and i was dumping it over my head. i went in a gift shop and bought me an ice cold dr. pepper.  that was the greatest!  so, here i was running along the mall, gatorade in my belt, water in one hand (occassionally dumping on head), plastic cup with cherished but melting ice and dr. pepper in other hand, trying to run. and they say tourists look stupid!  i was glad when i was done with that run!

okay, my goal today is to get out the door for a run while it is still called 'morning.'

cindy - glad you're back!!

keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #453 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »
Keri , that is when someone needs to be standing by with a camera to get good shots of you  :D

I took the girls to Point Mallard Water Park yesterday ... not sure yet if it was a good idea but had fun

bounced around in the wave pool and got wonkey headed from it ... but it passed ...waves getting 8-10 feet higher than water level when waves were off ...sat in my tube and let it just take me and said some prayers that I would be able to find up if I fell out so I didn't drown ... then we walked down to other end of park and slid down the big water slides ... started with the tame one and worked up to the wild one ... that last one like to have got me ... I spun around in circles a couple times before hitting pool at the bottom and couldn't stand without holding edge of the pool which was only about waist deep ... and it was so much fun that when the world stopped spinning I climbed to the top of the hill and slid down again ... I am a slow learner ...

waited til afternoon and got there about 3:40 when sun is sinking enough that I didn't get over exposed and we stayed til it closed at 8:00... so far no lupus rash beginning but it still could ...sometimes I just have to do things that I am advised against or in case of my husband he forbids ...not that I listen to him  :D... the walking and swimming gave me a workout ... the climbing the hill to slide about did me in ... steep and no railing to hold so I poked along and let people pass as they came up behind me ...also had a couple friends along with their kids and one of them could have drove had I been incapacitated ... lucky just sore and really tired ... 45 minute ride home seemed like a couple hours ...can't believe that I have lived this close for 33 years and never went before
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #454 on: July 23, 2010, 10:21:44 pm »
Well, I've fallen off the diet wagon a little bit recently, but what the heck, I'm on vacation.

Still doing well with the exercise though.  Got up early a few days in a row to run and walk on the boardwalk and spent some time in the ocean fighting the waves.

Never did get to meet up with Lori - unfortunately her girls have been sick - but did get to meet Anna Maria and her husband for dinner in Red Bank and Wendy today at the Sea Girt beach.

Looking forward to meeting Patrick and his wife on Monday back in Chicago.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2010, 09:48:15 am »
When I get in the pool, I have been doing lots ofdifferent leg lifts & I have to think running up & down the stairs (which I am definitely not use to) is helping some too!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
didn't sleep good and got up researching with no luck and walked out on the porch at about 7:30 ...

walked back to bedroom and fell in bed and watch TV ...gave thumb a workout on remote ...

walked back and forth to kitchen a time or to to put stuff in my face ...
2 oreos cause they were there , a plate of last nights Chinese leftovers , water , kool-aid , toast .....

walked from bedroom to living room once early on and sat in recliner talking to son for a minute or two and also made a couple trips to the little girls room ...

I am a slug today ...head feels heavy , legs feel heavy , nauseated , just blah ... I guess for a slug I was very active    ;D

tomorrow I am going to get up and start over ... maybe at a snails pace ... they are a little faster than slugs 
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2010, 09:16:46 am »
How's it going out there on the exercise circuits?  It's HOT, but I hope everyone's still plugging away with some sort of activity that is not on the couch :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2010, 12:13:29 pm »
I've gotten back on track this week. My son has swim lessons this week and next so we are already at the Y and I have an hour to work out. My 14-year-old daughter has been going with me because she wants to stay conditioned in the off-season for basketball. She is being trained on the weight machines Monday so I will have two hours to work out that day.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lizard

« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:21 pm »
I'm proud to report that I am still doing kickboxing...quite clumsily I may add, but it has helped my balance, pain threshold and my state of mind.  I'm happy to report that I have lost a pants size and working for 2 more!!!  I try to work out 4 times a week, this one will be 3 because my head was a mess on Monday and this weekend is my husbands birthday and we have all sorts of events planned.  It is supposed to be perfect weather in CT so I'm very excited to spend some time outside.  I will be swimming and of course walking the dogs (3 this weekend because we have a house guest) so I guess I'll be getting some physical activity in anyway.

I love my workouts, they keep me sane.
Keep it up,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »
My workouts consist of trying to breathe in this awful humidity along with swatting the swarms of mosquitoes.  Trust me, both of these things are quite a workout!  If I don't die of heat stroke or malaria, I may sweat off a few pounds by the end of the summer.

Cindy, I'm not on the couch - that should count for something!  Since the kids have been out of school, I'm not sure I've actually sat down! 

Stay cool everyone!  Liz, enjoy the great weather you're having up there.  I'm jealous!  I love hot weather, but enough is enough! :P
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lizard

« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:03 pm »
Lori,
Totally agree, its been pretty humid here this summer, but its really nice to get a break from it.  Good luck with the mosquitoes.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:29 am »
Am in Seattle, where it's blessedly cool and sunny  ;D  Chicago is still hot, humid, and rainy at times - in other words, kind of creepy weather-wise.

Been walking tons - and lots of the streets are on an incline; great for the legs.

Hope to rent a bike or a kayak sometime this week.  Will be working long hours starting tomorrow, but getting outside and exercising will definitely help with the stress  ;D

Jan

Jeanlea

« Reply #463 on: August 06, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »
Since February 1 I've exercised 186 out oF 188 days.  My exercise options have been running, walking at least 3 miles at a brisk pace, bicycling, or yoga.  Running in this heat and humidity has been a challenge.  I've even managed to lose 10 pounds so far.  Only another 15 to go.  Everyone else here helps keep me motivated.  Also, being in an exercise challenge with friends onlne helps.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #464 on: August 06, 2010, 08:20:34 pm »
Since February 1 I've exercised 186 out oF 188 days. 

Now that is impressive. Excellent work, Jeanlea.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13