Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421199 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #435 on: July 10, 2010, 06:39:09 am »
Wish I were skinny minny - LONG way to go  :P

25.5 is just a dent - I have at least that much more to go.

The good news though is that I have a chin once again - you can see it in my profile picture - and I can feel my collar bones and hip bones after many years  :D

I can also feel muscles in my upper arms from weight lifting and in my thighs from running.

It's a struggle - as I'm sure most know - but a struggle that's worth engaging in.  I just hope I can keep it up.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #436 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:48 pm »
Jan ~

I admire your dedication and determination to get fit and healthy.  I know (mostly from my wife's struggles with weight loss) that it isn't easy but the results are very rewarding, both in appearance as well as a feeling of well-being.  I lost over 30 pounds due to my AN messing up my trigeminal nerve, so with no sense of taste and subsequently, no appetite the needed weight loss was relatively easy.  I jokingly called it 'the AN Diet'.  Following my surgery, even as my appetite quickly returned, I was thrilled to be back at my normal weight and determined not to put the weight back on.  I haven't because I changed my eating habits.  I still eat almost whatever I want - but in moderation, i.e. smaller portions, no desserts, no snacks.  I occasionally indulge in something rich just to keep from feeling deprived, but I don't over-do it.  Fortunately, because my metabolism rate has always been fairly 'high' (I was a skinny kid) this is sufficient because, although I'm active, I don't jog, bike, run, etc.  Never did, even when I was much younger.  Well ,as a kid I rode my Schwinn bicycle hours every day but that was a very long time ago.  So, as one who has dealt with weight loss personally and seen my wife struggle with it (she lost 40 pounds - a lot, for her) I can empathize and certainly applaud your efforts.  I wish you complete success as you work toward your ultimate weight goal.  By the way, the new avatar photo looks good.   

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #437 on: July 10, 2010, 02:26:38 pm »
Keep up the good work Jan!  Embrace that lifestyle change and show those pounds who's the boss!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #438 on: July 10, 2010, 03:20:46 pm »
We are so very, very proud of your determination and will power. :o :o  You deserve many pats on the back and salutes to chins and hip bones!  Keep it up...you may even inspire this slug to go and so something to make myself feel fit!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #439 on: July 10, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »
Jan, I think you need to give yourself a little more credit than "just a dent." Halfway there is a HUGE accomplishment! I'm sure there are plenty of us (myself included) who have not lost anything in the time that you have kept at it and lost 25 big ones.

So I say again: Fabulous. Keep up the good work!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2010, 06:17:29 am »
way to go ... I need to get rid of about 30 pounds that just won't leave ... but for now I am just happy that I have not gained back the 7 pounds total I lost between the 2 day camps and relay ... so just sitting here on my plateau watching world go by ...but it is better than gaining back ... keep up the good work
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2010, 01:40:40 pm »
Good for you Jan, and your profile picture looks great!!  What eating plan have you been following?  I have lost about 10 lbs since going off of gabapentin in late winter/early spring and I'd love to loose another 30.  I can't seem to get motivated at the moment because of continuous headaches and facial pain, house work is the only work out I get these days.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

texsooner

« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:57 pm »
Way to go Jan....very proud of you. Hope we get to meet up in Chicago after your Jersey shore trip.

I haven't been on here in awhile, but I see many of you are still going strong. We've been doing a lot of long bike rides all throughout this hot summer here in the Houston area (when it hasn't been raining). One week from today, we are doing the Katy Flatlands 100 mile bike ride (west of Houston)....it's sure to be pretty tough and toasty, but I think we're ready for it.

Everybody stay active and be safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #443 on: July 11, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »
Thanks to all for the very kind words and the encouragement; very good motivation for me.

Anne Marie -  I'm not really following any eating plan.  Just being sensible about what I eat (less fast food, more fruits and veggies), watching my portions, and exercising.  I've gotten back to running - although I'm still at the point where I'm walking a little bit.  At the fitness center I go to it's 13 laps to a mile, and I generally run two laps for each one that I walk.  I've also been using the weight machines for my arms, riding the recumbent bicycles, and attending water aerobics classes a couple of times a week.  Variety seems to be helping me stay focused on my goals and helping me not lapse into boredom.

Patrick -  haven't had time to respond to your email yet, but I too hope we can get together after my trip.  It would be great to meet you and your wife.

Soundy - keep up the good work  ;D

Jan 
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #444 on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:59 am »
good for you, jan!! you really help inspire us.

great to hear about what's up with you, patrick. i've been trying to bike more. i really like it (i like it a lot better than running). i try to bike to the store to do errands. when i need to spend $100 at the store it doens't always work; 2 gallons of milk do not fit into a backpack! i also have mountain bike tires on my bike which probably slows everything down, but that's ok, i don't mind being slow at biking - don't want to fall and whack my head (i do wear a helmet).

i'm in a marathon training group. we do long runs together on saturdays (early morning). if you don't get it done then, it's so hard to fit that into your schedule. later in the day is hard because of the heat. i'm going to be out of town 3 saturdays in a row. i will really need y'all to keep me motivated and keep me running, esp not slacking on some of the long runs. i'll let you know when you can start your yelling, encouragement, or whatever gets me moving! this week i'm in town.

anne marie - always hoping and praying that the pain gets better, subsides.

have a good week!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #445 on: July 13, 2010, 07:45:52 pm »
Thanks Keri,

I see the neurologist on Thurs, her and I are going to have a little heart to heart ;)  I'm sick and tired of this roller coaster ride.  This week so far hasn't been very good, but it can always be worse.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

cindyj

« Reply #446 on: July 16, 2010, 11:08:00 am »
Been on vacation and been very bad - no workouts of any kind and ate lots of cookies!  Back to reality and workouts next week, I hope (I will use this thread as my motivation to get back with it!).  Do have a tennis match in the morning during which I'll at least sweat off a calorie or two...so hot down here (but, yes, I like it MUCH better than the cold winters!).

I was actually down in Orange Beach (right by Gulf Shores, AL).  Was very sad to see so few people there...many workers, but no vacationers.  We've been going down there for 25 years and it was very sad to the beautiful white beaches now brown.   Not near as bad as other parts of the Gulf, though.  We still had a great time despite not being able to get in the ocean.

Jan, you have done SO great!  You continue to inspire us here!  Keep it up!

I hear you, Keri...let us know when you need us to yell at you!  (I need to be yelled at right now, I think).  We're still taking a break from our road mileage and trying to just do water cardio - not nearly as effective, but sure feels better than the pavement right now!

Patrick, good to hear you're still going strong on your bike!  I still need to try to ride some, just haven't had the opportunity (no bike).  I also still want to try to ride a horse, but don't have a horse either!

Have a great weekend, all of you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #447 on: July 18, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
Finished the bike ride; total of 105 miles with the final 20 in a driving rainstorm in Katy, TX. Most of the first 85 miles was in >100 degreee heat index. Proud to have done it and made it safely. 

Off in a couple of days to a vacation in Chicago. Jan heard I was coming and skipped town. Just kidding. We're going to try to get together when she gets back from her Jersey vacation.

Everybody keep active and safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #448 on: July 18, 2010, 07:01:37 pm »
Patrick~
I was in Katy yesterday (went water skiing) and saw MANY cyclist - thought of you!!  Way to GO!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »
I've actually heard of Katy, TX.  I think my mother's step-father was from there.

Actually I did skip town - and am planning a nice relaxing week with no phone calls or email from work.

Hoping to meet up with Anna Maria, Lori, and perhaps Wendy and/or Debbi. 

Walked a few miles last evening, and am hoping to get in some early morning running or walking and might be adventurous enough to try boogie boarding once we get to the beach. 

We'll see.

Jan