Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421213 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #420 on: June 25, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »
Nothing like multiple appliances failing at once.

Don't you just hate that?  >:( 

Last August when I was away on a business trip my freezer died and had to be repaired, followed that very same week by my washer.  A few months after replacing the washer, the dryer died  :P

Work continues to be overwhelming on a day-to-day basis, plus my kids started summer school and sports camps so I'm playing taxi driver a lot.  With all our schedules being hectic there aren't a lot of home cooked or healthy meals lately - falling into fast food habits.  My "me" time has really suffered and I think I've gained back 2 or 3 lbs. UGH!!!

But Tuesday I started a new routine.  Water aerobics two evenings a week - which I'm horrible at (I've never been very coordinated), but I find very relaxing.  I'm one of the younger ones in the group (at the ripe old age of 48 1/2) so no one is a "super star" and that helps tremendously.  The workouts are harder than they appear and are wonderful for your balance.

The remaining evenings - and on the weekend - I'm running, biking, and using weight machines on my arms.

Soundy -

you're making progress, even though your feet are crying.  I was having big problems with my knees when I first started getting back to serious exercising, but found that over time they stopped screaming.  Your feet will adjust - keep up the good work and take a day off now and then; it helps.

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #421 on: June 27, 2010, 04:03:29 pm »

Relay went well ... thunderstorms about and hour before opening made it real muggy  , but then a cool wind blew most of the night ... around 9  I was assaulted by pirates that from the Goodship Scalawag from Johnson's Control , a local factory ...they were shanghaiing kids from other teams and arming them with swords and eye patches in an effort to earn spirit points ... it worked ... the pirates tried to skewer me with their blow up swords but I escaped ... 2 of them look just like my children    :o ...

I walked 42 laps throughout the 12 hours ...most of those from 3 AM til 6 AM when it cooled down , fewer people to bump into and my endorphins kicked in and told me I was tired but nothing hurt anymore   ;D ... even ran 5 of those laps in a row with Sarah when they did a poker run around 4 this morning ...you  run the track and a stop at a  table to pick a card and have it recorded under your name and try to win a hand of poker in the Poker Run ... running was a no no but didn't know it at a time ... I broke off a heel spur ... but that is really a good thing ... wear a little donut insert to keep pressure off it for a while and the little bit of bone I can feel just under the skin will reabsorb ... have done it before ... cheap surgery really ...just watch for infection

they started playing hourly games around 2 to keep people awake and glad to be there ... each lap is a quarter mile , so I walked 10 1/2 miles on the track plus alot of walking in between laps talking to people and looking at all the exhibits that were set up .... with money raised from March up until 5:00 this morning when last nights money was tallied , the county raised $120,000 ... goal was $100,000 ... so we are tired and happy ...

Hannah went home with Bo around 11:00 last night and Sarah stayed fro the whole thing and only dosed off around 5:30 this morning after sunrise service , when we were getting ready for closing ... proud of her ... both girls gave their hair to Locks of Love ... 8 off Hannah and 6 inches off Sarah ... mine would be too short so they don't get it til next year ...

I got home about 7 and fell in bed exhausted and slept til about 9 ... took a hot shower and right back to bed ...up at 1:00 to eat and back to bed until about 3 ... I think I am good to go until bed time ...except all my muscles ache ... called doctor last night and asked about adding an extra neurontin to my night dose and he said yes ...it helped last night but this morning I would never know I took it ... had a little brain wreck around midnight but  a hydro-codone knocked it out but I have a feeling that tomorrow I will be very sore ... each time I have woke up today I have got up and went outside and walked a couple laps around the yard to loosing up ...

very happy with my total ...was hoping for maybe 3 miles so to triple that plus some was awesome ... if there had been recoery time between day camp and the Relay no telling what I could have done ... but happy with what I did ...Sarah got in 13 1/2 miles and lazy bones Hannah only a mile ... Bo helped us set up and did a half mile then left after eating with us taking Hannah with him
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #422 on: June 28, 2010, 06:52:56 am »
Sarah told me I forgot to tell you that I ran with eyes closed and that Sereniti , my 17 month old grand daughter walked 2 laps under her own steam ... she was carried by many people and did about 30 laps that way ... who ever came by would grab her up and take her around a time or two then she would wave people down and someone else would take her ... Sarah held her hand and walked her around the track two full laps

when I ran the laps I was getting wonky heading due to eyes telling brain the ground was heaving and rocking ... so I would spot Sarah a few yards in front of me ... I closed my eyes and ran opening them about every 10 to twelve times my right foot hit the ground ... spot and adjust position or if near a turn open them til it was cleared and then close them and go ... I was still a little wobbly and not a pretty runner but got it marked off the list of things that I have been unable to do since surgery ... and like the one training wheel on the bike , I have found a way to do it

also a big help was the track being laid out in a grassy field ... walking on grassy ground  that is soft compared to asphalt track at the high school made my accomplishment possible

have some pictures uploading to photo bucket and will post them later ...it is slow going with dial up
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2010, 10:59:52 pm »
time to bore you all with some pictures ...

Crowd early on

Before scalping

Sarah during scalping

Hannah peeking at herself and you can see her new short doo

Sarah looking at her self … you can see Hannah over the top of Sarah’s mirror

Pirate 1 and 2 who look a lot like Sarah and Hannah

Had a couple more but photo bucket quit on me
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2010, 11:42:02 pm »
I'm back  ;D

Sarah and Sereniti making a lap

What do you do at 3am when you find a baby toad ??? You stick it to your face of course

Or you let yourself get duct taped to your chair …this is the son of the teacher we lost in February to lung cancer …his friends kept him going all night but at day break he had about had it …at this poin the was tape to chair around chest , arms and legs …they carried him around the track tape in … but when they were doing that I was walking and missed catching it

What tired looks like on a nearly 11 year old who has walked and run for 12 hours …she sat down and dose off for about 15 minutes from 5:30 til I woke her at about 5:45 when I snapped this

I am proud of her …this was around 6:30 and getting ready to go home …that is me kissing her …her get up and go had got up and left her …I thought I was going to have to get someone to carry her to the truck

Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2010, 05:10:55 am »
Great photos, Soundy, thanks for sharing. Sarah and Hannah are lovely young ladies.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2010, 05:31:18 am »
Beautiful pictures, Soundy.  Thanks for posting them.

My favorite is Sarah during scalping  :D

You have numerous reasons to be proud of your children.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:53 am »
Love the pictures!  We do Relay for Life every year too and I love it.  What an inspiring group of people to be around.  The Survivor Lap gets me every time - so amazing to see so many people who are truly fighters!

And it's great exercise - unless you try to walk around the track with my 2 little ones who have to stop at every table and tent along the way.  I'm pretty sure it took half the night to make it all the way around the track once!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:56 pm »
hello,
keri finally found the ana forum again. soundy, i like the pic with the frog on the face! and you sure do keep strange hours!
jan - good good good for you - to be so busy with work, to fall out of the exercise habit and then to get back at it. water aerobics sounds like fun - it does seem relaxing
kay - hope all is going well with the move - that's exercise!
cindyj - you found your new 'somethng different' idea for exercise - why not a triathlon using the noodles! i think i could do a mini triathlon if i could use swimming noodles. might not be very fast, but i'm not very fast anyway. and i don't swim well. kind of just dog paddle.
lori - we'll go run a few miles when i go to va beach to fetch my girl next week! if we don't run, maybe we can just eat somewhere. or have a drink. that sounds good.
sara - hope all is well with appliances.
i'm glad y'all have been hanging in there more or less, with the exercise stuff.
i did join a marathon training group. last saturday i was supposed to go to our first early morning run. i got dressed with shoes, drink strapped in my waist holder and everything and laid back down and fell asleep. so much for that training run.
tomorrow will be my longest to date and I'VE GOTTA GET OUT OF BED (and stay out). 16 miles. ugh. hardest part is getting up at 5:30 and asking myself 'why do i do this?'
i'm trying to bike to run errands a bit more. the bank teller didn't like me going through the drive through, though.
it's nice to be checking back in! i'm so out of it here; let me know if i've missed anythign major!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26:34 am »
been walking again in the mornings ... had to right after Relay due to getting up stiff from the over used in one night muscles ... my doctor just shook his head when Sarah told him how much I walked ...  he doesn't have to like it ... just put me back together when I come undone from whatever I have done  ;D ... that is what he gets paid for ... really he is a good guy and looks out for me ... he thinks 2 or 3 miles would have been plenty ... said that plenty of people with no reason to stop them don't walk at all ... heel still sore but not too bad ... I can go barefooted again , something nearly impossible right after the walk ... had to have the cushioning of my shoe under it ... he says it looks good ...

I thought I was going to swim yesterday but just blobbed around in the water ...can't swim with the girls in the pool ...may have to resort to night time swimming ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #430 on: July 09, 2010, 02:12:34 pm »
FINALLY...I did something!  Addi & I went walking the other morning (Wed, I guess) and planned to get out every morning but yesterday it was RAINING cats & dogs and today I had all the kids.  Addi did point out that we also walked up & down the mall looking for my MIL Wednesday afternoon so that should count for Thursday.  Dave hurt his ankle (another ER trip for us! YEA!) and so I have made NUMEROUS trips up & down the stairs (which I am NOT accustomed to!) so I feel like overall, I have been doing something!  Addi & I even ran a TINY bit - hey, I haven't worked out since Thanksgiving so I figured that was a start.  I think that we went about 2 miles in 35 minutes.  We took a cut thru and when we got home & told me MIL where we walked, she said that the cut thru was by Roger Clements house!  I am anxious to go back and get a better look!

That's all...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #431 on: July 09, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »
walking in malls count double ... for some reason walking in the mall makes me more tired than walking up and down the road ...

I walked around numerous stored looking for best deal on a fridge to replace the one that croaked over night ... I am counting that as exercise for the day ... got a good deal on a fridge that was smaller than I wanted but made up for it by also getting a 18 cubic foot  upright freezer to replace the one that died about the time I had surgery and we just haven't gotten around to getting another ... same as cash if paid in 90 days which we can do when we sell calves in about a month ...  and both pieces cost only $899 , Frigidaire brand ...alot less than the $2400 dream fridge /freezer I would have like to have gotten ... if we don't pay it off in 90 days payments are only $91 for 12 months so won't break us ...

was going to walk this evening but it is pouring down rain and I was watching steam roll up off the road and I can't stand the humidity when it touches me ... will go in the morning ... got a birthday party for my mom and the twins to put on tomorrow ... don't know who is coming or how much food I will need ... need to walk to get centered for the day ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #432 on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »
Six month "check up" with my internist today.

Happy to report I've lost 25.5 lbs  ;D

He was as thrilled as I was  ;D

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #433 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »
Fabulous. Keep up the good work. Pretty close to your goal now?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #434 on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:36 pm »
Way to go Skinny Minny!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!