Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420409 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:12 am »
mine are big enough to come along and walk with me without worrying about them running out in the road or getting tired and wanting to be carried ... but getting them to go with me is another thing ...

Bo comes in from work and unless it is pouring down rain , when he goes over to main part of farm he has always walked ... The girls  used to walk with him and when got tired walked to their grandparents that is close to barn ... now they ride bikes along side him ... they could walk with me in the morning but say that the bike with daddy is their exercise for the day ...

what it is they are Daddy's girls and think they would be mutineers if they went with me  >:(

lets get the little ship jumpers to school ... only today , tomorrow and an hour on Tuesday and this year is history
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #406 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:29 am »
Well the other day was not THE day - never even made it as far as putting on my running shoes  :(

But finally made it to the health club yesterday; found out how much I missed it.

Hope to be back on track now.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2010, 05:32:55 pm »
been lazy ... if I have a joint it hurts ... and body has once again invented joints just for purpose of hurting

I suspect return of fibromyalgia symptoms as I come off Lyrica ... it was prescribe to control brainwrecks but also banished most muscle and joint pain ... maybe once switched to neurontin the aches will go away ...need to do some reading up on it for these types of pain ... right now I am mainly just moving as needed and no more than that ...

good news is that I haven't gained any ... gotta look at all the plus signs

Sarah , my youngest has Lyme's disease and is grumpy and not feeling great ...aches , pains and vomiting from the medicine she is taking and may be on for up to 8 weeks ...

we have three boys with us tonight ... a friends sons ages 11 , 9 and 7 ... they had a reunion and no one to keep the boys ... the youngest two were gonna go farming with Bo and Sarah can't be left behind so went along too ... I actually think she is a bit jealous of anyone spending any time with her Dad as he is her property ... she gets a bit jealous of my 16 month old grand daughter who has decided that egg gathering with PaPa is the greatest thing on earth and follows him like a puppy dog ... that is Sarahs job ... being Bo's shadow ... I am taking her going along as a sign she is doing OK
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:41 am »
I walked Wednesday , trip to Nashville Thursday , walked Friday and sat a folding chair in the creek and sat in it yesterday watching kids splash around ... Bo really needs to get pool set up ... I also walked up and down creek for about an hour ... walking in knee deep water gives you a work out ...especially when you have on jeans  :o... I need to shave legs before we go again so I can wear shorts   ;D

so my workout / walking plan is off track but not totally absent ... have lost 2 pounds ...yay ... not as good as the 5 I was aiming for but better that a gain ...

need to get walking more  ... Relay walk is the 26th and will be here before I know it ... even if I don't get in shape and used to walking I will be fine ... for some reason I can wlak with people better than I can alone ... unfortunately no friends are interested in early morning walks ... they're snoozers ...would work better if I had a walking partner and even my girls balk at going along ...

I need to make it mandatory and add it to my list of laws ... laws I make up and enforce ... like they know it is against the law to take the last Klondike bar from freezer ... it must be shared with any and all who want a bite or left until a new box is purchased ...it is against the law to touch anything on my desk even if that scrap of paper that has scribbling on it looks like garbage … I got a lot and make them up on spur of moment

just need to add  ... it is against the law to lay in bed or watch TV while mom is out doing her early morning walking , you must walk with her  :D
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #409 on: June 15, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »
Hello!  Any one out here? How's everyone doing?  If sweating means calories burned, I'm burning lots!  SO hot down here!  Tennis match on Sat morning was brutal, but fun 8)  Have told my training buddies we need to switch from walk/jogging to swimming in the neighborhood pool.  I don't swim very well, but it sounds much better than being out on the path in the this heat and humidity.  (I am trying not to complain too much, however, as I hate the cold much worse than the heat ::) )

Hope you're all still doing your excerises of choice!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »
I still am doing nothing but hope to start walking when we get to Houston - there are some great sidewalks/paths around Grandma's house...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »
I'm still doing good - most of the time.  I'm down 25 lbs (YEAH !!!  ;D )

I'm hitting the gym at least 4 or 5 times a week - running/walking, weight machines for my arms, and recumbent bicycle.  This evening I attended a water aerobics boot camp class - even though I am totally uncoordinated  :D  Figured any exercise is good exercise.

I've also been riding my bicycle to work (6 miles RT) when the weather permits (cool enough and without rain) - and Saralynn will be happy to know that I AM wearing my helmet (although I hate it  :( )

Kaybo, just moving out of one house and into another is considered exercise in my book.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:39 pm »
been lazy and not walking much ... I get over heated super easy and then I am sick ...I have played on Wii Fit and Trainer and what ever the other thing we have is ... they make me sweat in the air conditioned comfort of my own living room ...  ;D

I am so dreading Day Camp next week ...it is going to be hot and sticky because that is what the south does best ...I am in a cooled building most of the time due to sun and heat  issues but I still hot ... camp ends on the 25th and Relay walk is the night if the 26th at same location ... I was excited about the Relay walk but it is so hot some enthusiasm has faded ... but we actually only walk from 6 PM til 6 AM sunday so it shouldn't be too bad ...I have decided to just walk my best and not set a goal of 20 laps or 3 miles or what ever ...

stuck weight wise but haven't gained so for now taking that
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:42 am »
I'm still doing good - most of the time.  I'm down 25 lbs (YEAH !!!  ;D )

Good work . . .

- and Saralynn will be happy to know that I AM wearing my helmet (although I hate it  :( )
Jan

and good work!

Kaybo, just moving out of one house and into another is considered exercise in my book.

Very true. My hat is off to Jan and Kaybo this morning . . . and everyone else who is managing to fit in more exercise this summer than chasing kids.

I have a refrigerator being delivered this morning, but after that I am going to the new west-side YMCA to check out the new equipment. And fortunately swim lessons start next week for my son, which lands me at the Y consistently for two weeks.

Sara
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:43:44 am by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2010, 07:06:21 am »
Cindy,

I'm with you on the sweating thing!  Phew!!!

No formal exercise here, but we have been at the beach a lot.  Lets see...carrying stuff from the car to the beach...walking thru the sand, swimming, boogie boarding (yes, I actually did that the other day for the first time since my surgery!) and then bringing everything back to the car.  I guess that counts as exercise.

Lots of walking in the neighborhood too.  Next week I will be volunteering at Vacation Bible School, so I'm sure I'll get some running around in there (or pulling out my hair).

Jan, I am really impressed!  Riding your bike to work??  Do you have a cupholder for your coffee?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #415 on: June 16, 2010, 11:08:30 am »
WOW!  Riding to work, Jan!  YEA for the 25 pounds!  I thought that since it will be SO HOT & HUMID and I will be in the pool a LOT, I could do some exercies and might even try to swim some laps - even though I am not a swimmer!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #416 on: June 16, 2010, 02:28:01 pm »
Great to hear from y'all!  Awesome on the 25 lost, Jan!  And riding your bike to work - good for you and the environment! 

My buddies and I did hit the pool this morning - what a comical sight, I'm sure!  Four beyond-middle age-ladies with noodles doing laps.  Fortunately, there was no one else at the pool to witness our ridiculousness.  Sure did feel great, though!  Nice and cool.  My husband said we should perhaps take up synchronized swimming ::)  Will be sure to get video for you guys if we start doing that :D

Stay cool, all, but keep burning those calories,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »
The fridge came early afternoon (after blowing the whole morning waiting) and the dishwasher is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Nothing like multiple appliances failing at once. So no gym today or tomorrow, but next week for sure while my son takes swim lessons!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #418 on: June 17, 2010, 04:11:14 am »
going on grand adventure today  ::) ...heading south to huntsville Alabama to go to Sam's and buy snacks and drinks for Day Camp next week ... hate Sam's ...my new and improved overhead viewer installed during surgery makes my brain think all the overhead stock is falling in on me ...have a baseball cap that I pop on for such places to avoid wonkyheadedness ... but Sam's always gives me a workout walking wise ...gonna take my pedometer along for the ride ... after Sam's heading to Micheal's for some craft items we can't find locally with Walmart as Our only store with craft supplies and for last 2 years that has been downsizing until they have very little , then the dreaded Mall because my friend that is tagging along and my youngest child have money and have to go to Belk's and check out Yellow Box flipflops ...

so today I will get in more walking than I want to and when I get home will take a nice long nap
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »
One more day of day camp to get through … I have lost 4 pounds through sweating it out , not eating as much and extra walking … my feet cry  :'( every morning when I tell them they have to go back in m shoes … wish we could wear flip flops to camp but we are required by law to wear closed shoes

Big Relay For Life walk Saturday …I am going to walk but I guarantee not as much as I would have if I was not coming off Day Camp …kids say we need to do 3 miles … wish me luck … the way I am feeling , a lap right now sounds like torture
Translab July 2 ,2007