Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420984 times)

texsooner

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #315 on: April 04, 2010, 03:19:44 pm »
Got 2 weeks consecutive of 140 miles each of training done on my road bike. Will start to taper off with about 60-80 miles next week, then should be ready to go for the MS150 ride from Houston to Austin on April 17-18.

Last 2 days here have been in the mid 80's, so no excuse not to be out riding, running, walking, or something. Hope everyone that's able has gotten out to do something. Be safe.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
Got 2 weeks consecutive of 140 miles each of training done on my road bike.

Okay, let me just say that I want to be Patrick.

Unbelieveable mileage!  I've been hitting the recumbent bike and thinking that 12.5 miles a day was just great  ::)

Didn't do so good with my diet yesterday.  The chocolate bunny is still wrapped in foil inside his box, but there was a lot of mom's home cooking that I wasn't able to pass up  :(

Needless to say I'll be hitting the gym harder this week.  The weather here has been in the mid to high 70's so in addition to the gym I've been talking walks outside.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2010, 07:39:03 am »
Ok, everyone (well, mainly me!), walk away from the chocolate bunnies and jelly beans and get back to the exercises :)

Patrick, be careful out there on your final week of training...and enjoy!

Cindy...supposed to be 90 here today!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #318 on: April 06, 2010, 04:07:18 pm »
Gonna be a week of slacking for me ... kids are out on spring break and we are just hanging around the house ...no big plans ... but I also don't have the school gym to walk in ...they kids are active all day and in and out ... they won't get up and walk with me in the wee hours of the morning before sun comes up and by the time it starts going down they are worn out and don't want to go walking either because they are tooooooo tired ... Bo works all day and walks several miles in the course of his work carrying a chainsaw and other heavy equipment along ... he will walk on Sunday but not through the week or Saturday

I have learned I am a herd animal ... at  school someone is always around and have a friend that 9 out of 10 times walks with me ... I am not likely to take off walking down the road to visit beaver dam , snaky swamp or the cows if I don't have company ... Max , our 100 pound boxer/sharpei mix would be more than willing to go with me ,  but I have not been able to walk her hyper self since surgery as she pulls me off balance ... someone suggested getting her a shock collar , but can't bring myself to shock my lively bouncy dog because I can't handle her on a leash ... think of Tigger is a baggy tan hide and without a coiled tail

One thought I had was to let my husband give me a ride down the road and dump me out ...then I would have to walk to get back home  :o ...desperate times call for desperate measures , right ?  ;D

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #319 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:01 pm »
Today I ran - actually RAN.  Didn't walk, didn't hobble, didn't jog.  I flat out ran 3 laps on the indoor track at the gym and my knees didn't complain even once.

Yes, I am bragging!  But I felt tremendous and want others to know that if you work at it, you will eventually succeed.  It's been at least 10 years since I've run.

The working at it isn't always easy - and yes, there are the chocolate bunny temptations - but hard work does pay off.  Even if you're old like me  :D

So keep up the good work everyone!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »
Way to go Jan....great job!! Very proud of you. I know you're excited, but make sure and not overdo it at the very beginning, so those knees don't scream at you. As you are losing weight, this will also put less stress on the knees. I know this from experience too.  And by the way, I'm not old, so by definition you aren't either ;)

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »
I Just want a healthy girl then I'll worry about me...was going to try gym today but kendie home & back to Dr. Now we are dealing w/all the after effects that medicine caused - it's not helping that she can't run & play!

K
still eating Oreos
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #322 on: April 06, 2010, 08:15:57 pm »
Hope your girl gets better soon ... and until Monday when school starts back , I will sit on the bench with you and eat Oreos ... and I don't even like them ... but a wise one somewhere running around here told me that I need to eat Oreos
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #323 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
Oh, more prayers for Kendie. Hope the little sweetie is better in no time.

I'll be back at it Thursday, the kids go back to school tomorrow after spring break, but MIL has two doctor appointments in the AM which precludes going to the gym. I did an incredible amount of lifting, etc. yesterday helping my mom move more stuff from her old house to her new one. Fortunately the end is in sight . . . I hope!

Hope everyone is enjoying beautiful spring weather.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
Kaybo -

hope Kendie is feeling better.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I took a few days off from my new exercise routine and I think it was a big factor in my ability to run those 3 laps today.

There's a lot to be said for taking a break now and then especially when the situation warrants it.  My mistake in the past was just making excuses on why I didn't have time to exercise, not something legitimate like a sick child.

Patrick -

glad to hear neither of us is old, but I also have to point out that you're older than I am.  Sorry.  Lori and Kaybo wouldn't let me get away with something like this, they never miss an opportunity to point out that I'm older than both of them, so I have to follow their example  :D

Jan

Soundy

« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2010, 08:48:01 am »
argh!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

haven't been able to post last night or this morning and getting ticked off ...and since this post has no bearing on anything it will be the one that goes through  ;D  because that is just the way things are going today  :-\
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2010, 08:52:58 am »
yay !!! disregard last post it was made by a crazy lady that was playing with cookies and well just made a crumby mess

have to take Hannah to go get booster shots today and she isn't happy ... she has to have them to go into 7th grade and this week I can get them free at Health Department ... since insurance isn't paying for anything other than some prescriptions I figure get them while the getting is good ... Hannah isn't happy but I promised her a Large Lemon Berry Slush from Sonic if she goes willingly ... was going there for lunch after paying bills and getting groceries anyway

adding what I was trying to post in the first place ...

I have had grand baby all week ... can I add her , along with the lack of out of the sun place to walk to my list of excuses ??? she keeps me moving just not far or fast ... she slept Monday about 30 minutes and took no nap Tuesday or yesterday ... my kids at 15 months all took naps ...usually about 2 hours ... she has worn me out ... the girls get bored with her after a couple hours and aren't much help watching her so I could grab a nap ...

it is cloudy today after a night of thunder storms and so took a walk down the road ...grand total of 2 miles by the time I got back ... not much but something

Tomorrow I get a work out via mall ... have to go look for spring dresses for girls to use for guitar/violin recital and band concert ... they didn't get new Easter dresses because church had a picnic / egg hunt and they wanted to wait to go shopping until tomorrow when Bo was with us to get something ... he loves the mall almost as much as I do  ::)... the girls want him along because I say  NO   alot and he will cave when they bat their eyes and let them get things other than what is on list ... gonna put pedometer on and see how many steps I take ...

I found something to sub for chocolate ...warmed pineapple upside down cake with vanilla ice cream ... it works for me  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:05:02 am by Soundy »
Translab July 2 ,2007

lori67

« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:45 am »
Shopping and grandbaby chasing are definitely workouts!

We have been staying clear of the Y this week because it's spring break and the child care center is always mobbed when the kids are off.  Besides, it's been in the 90's here, so carrying my beach chair and cooler to a good spot on the beach has been my exercise.

That pineapple upside down cake sounds really good....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #328 on: April 11, 2010, 09:28:27 pm »
enjoy that 5k, lori!

jan - good for you on the running!

i was chaperoning a group of high school kids to new york city from thursday early am to late saturday night. at one point i had a bit of free time to myself, so i walked from time square to central park. i went for a short run in central park, which ended up being a bit longer than intended because i got lost! then i had to run down 7th to get back to time square to meet the group. it was a better workout than i had intended!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #329 on: April 11, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »
There won't be any working out for me for a while, I spent the weekend out of town with my Dad as he is in the ICU at a hospital by my hometown.  Not sure he is going to make it so I will be spending my workout time calling friends and relatives and keeping things up-to-date around here so I'm ready to go at anytime.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.