Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421114 times)

lori67

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2010, 05:02:07 am »
Jill,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Such a hard situation - and being in another town makes it harder, I know.  I'll be praying for you and your family.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2010, 05:11:29 am »
Thinking of you, Jill, and will keep your dad in my prayersl. I was in that same situation this time last year. I encourage you to get out and walk in the hospital courtyard from time to time as you are able. It helps, a little.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2010, 06:57:36 am »
So sorry, JM - I guess we are all getting to that all where we have to deal with this - you are certainly in my prayers!

I was planning on going to a class at 8:30, but remembered (by a friend!) that I have to make copies at the Middle School today - I have a meeting at the elementary school at the same time so I guess I will go at the class time to make copies.  I have to go after the meeting to Sam's to get stuff for our final LETS (Love Every Teacher - our PTA picks out schools w/o PTA's and takes the teachers lunch once/6 weeks - it is my BABY and it just won Outstanding Service Award for the district - I'm kind of proud - can you tell?).  All this volunteering!!

Glad your trip was good, Keri!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2010, 09:05:49 am »
Jill, so sorry to hear about your dad - we just lost my father n law a few weeks ago - know it's such a hard time for all.  I did try to keep up some walking even while rushing to and from hospital, then nursing home and finally hospice - As Sara said, it really was a great mental/emotional relief, if you can get away from it just a bit.

Spring has sprung!  Hope everyone can get outside to enjoy...and burn a few calories!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2010, 01:59:44 pm »
Jill, I am so sorry about your dad as well. Our prayers are with your family.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2010, 02:02:10 pm »
and Kay, if your volunteering equaled running, you'd have several marathons down by now! Good for you on the award - sounds like such a nice thing for the other schools.

and i agree with cindy - it's so beautiful out; i need to get off this computer and go for a run!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »
Thanks Lori, Sara, Kay, Cindy & Kerri for the prayers and thoughts.  Sara, sorry you went through this last year and of course Cindy just went through it as well.  Yes, Kay it's that time in our lives.  Dad is out of the ICU, they didn't expect him to make it so now that it looks like he will they have to figure out what caused it.  There's a very slight chance it was just a really bad case of the flu and he can't handle it well because of his age (84) and his cancer.  Several family members got it too!  They believe his cancer has acted up again so there's a possibility that he will need surgery in the near future which he probably won't get through.  For now I'm just enjoying the fact that he is still here.  Tons of family members have been to see him so he's not lonely.  My plan is to go back to my hometown when he's out of the hospital so we can help take care of him and my childhood home. 

My exercise for the week was working so hard at work that I either only had time to eat 1/2 my lunch or none at all.  In the evening I was able to get my glasses back again, seem to be working pretty well this time.  Spent lots of time on the phone & emailing family and friends, catching up on laundry and helping our youngest head out to Salt Lake City for a month.  Today I cleaned & picked up the house, boy can a place go down hill in a week or so.  Going to finish planting the garden tomorrow, great exercise and fun, then take the dogs for a walk.

Hope all of you are doing well!  Thanks again, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2010, 08:19:42 am »
Sorry your dad has been sick Jill but glad you still have time to be with him ... with Mom and Dad both fighting cancer battles and them divorced and miles apart some days I feel torn apart trying to see both and help out with them and keep up with my kids and the house and school ... hang in there

been walking at school this past week ... the kids had a bike rodeo yesterday and both rode about 4 mile around the track we were using ... would have been great for me if I could ride a bike ... I can skate and I am a speed demon on a razor scooter , but I can't ride a bike without listing to the left and wobbling ... with about 60 kids from 5 to 12 on bikes whizzing around I decided to not even try to jump in ... I would have caused a pile up ...just waiting for school Relay event and then the big Relay all nighter ... will continue to walk at school and log as many miles there as I can ... I have lost 5 pounds ... I am sure next round of steroids will put them right back on but the loss makes me happy for the moment
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:51 am »
I went back to lifting today after a couple of weeks off due to spring break, school play and capped off by appointments for mammogram, ultrasound and MRI last Friday. Thank God all the tests came back negative.

I need to have a strong finish to the school year to carry some momentum through to the summer when I can get cardio in during the day but it is nearly impossible to get in to lift.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #339 on: April 20, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »
I went again today. Tomorrow I have to drive to St. Louis for facial physical therapy, but I will be back at the gym Thursday morning.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #340 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their inspiring stories.  This was a great thread to start.

I've been hitting the gym almost daily and so far I've lost about 17 lbs.  ;D

I have a long way to go, but I'm psyched.

Jan - hoping to be thin by the time I'm 50
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #341 on: April 20, 2010, 10:33:33 pm »
Jan~

You have a LONG time to train & exercise before you are 50...you can do it - you are off to a GREAT start!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #342 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:13 pm »
Go Jan! That's wonderful. My husband has dropped about 25 pounds since the first of the year. He has about 20 more to go to be able to climb Philmont with our son in either 2011 or 2012.

Like you, I would like to firm up a bit by the big five-oh. It's a wee bit closer for me though, I think.

I just thought of something though, I think "Hawaii five-oh" should be our new theme, like visiting Hawaii for our 50th. I'll have to mention that to my husband . . .

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:25 am »
Hawaii for the 50th - I like it!  I hit that big number in the Fall, I'll try to convince my husband that we should go before the 51st comes along...

Jan, that's awesome - stay with it!

Sara, great news on all your tests being negative - always a relief to get through those things!

Keep it up, everyone :)

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
      Mahatma Gandhi

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
Great job Jan, very proud of you. Keep it going.

I've only got about a week to make it to Hawaii....don't think it's going to happen.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.