Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 53560 times)

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 11:24:05 am »
We're here to help cheer you on during this battle but just remember.... the war CAN be won and you have all of us on your side to help achieve it.

Kathy,

You certainly do have all of us behind you. We send you our prayers and we'll be thinking of you as you fight this battle. We truly believe you can win this. :-*

Scarlett & Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »
Hi Kathy, this is indeed beatable! My aunt was diagnosed with Stage IV and is still going strong more than five years later.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »
A motley crew is a good thing, right?  ???

Kathy,

I'm glad you're back but not glad about the findings.  But I think we've determined the fact that you are one tough lady - and for the times you might not feel like being tough, we'll support you any way we can.

I hope the recovery from the surgery is going well and you can get your strength back and win this war.

Hugs and prayers and well wishes and all other good things to you, my beautiful forum friend.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »
Ditto on everything.  You can do this.  I guess the AN was a trial run...
You know you have support,
You know you are strong,
You know you can endure!
Take it slow.  Remember to take a deep breath now and again,  ;) Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 02:01:36 pm »
HI All,

I'm back making slow progress following surgery.  Thank you all so much, as always,for your encouragement to my daughter and prayers for me and my family.

My visit with my surgeon was not good today - stage 3 cancer.  7.2 cm tumor (undetected by mammograms I've had for the past 20 years without fail).  11 of 23 lymph nodes indicate a malignancy.  Next steps - heal from surgery for a few weeks and then meet with the oncologist for aggressive chemo, catscans, and radiation.  He says it is beatable with aggressive treatment, so that is what we are gearing up for. 

Now a question for the moderators here -
i want to be very respectful of others on this forum - the AN journey is stressful enough.  I don't want to draw attention to other non-AN issues and cause even more stress for those seeking support here from such a caring group.  I continue to draw strength from so many here, but understand if it is necessary to find another means to communicate with those of you who have supported me all along.  Please let me know if talking about this in this forum needs to be done another way.

Kathy ~

My fellow moderator, Steve, answered your question and I commend you for your sensitivity in thinking to even ask it.

Like you and everyone who has posted before me, I was dismayed to learn of the cancer diagnosis but I'm confident that you'll beat it.  It won't be quick, it sure won't be easy and it won't be much fun at all, but you'll be in the prayers of many and I believe you'll ultimately be victorious.   We're proud to be here to support you, Kathy.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57:57 pm »
I am sending you lots and lots of hugs and prayers.  I know you have the fight of you life ahead of you, but don't forget that you have the collective prayers and energy from everyone on this board.    And that's gotta help!

Make sure you are eating and getting as much rest as possible.

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »
Thinking of you and wishing you well from me, also.  Thank God for modern medicine, is all I can say.  My mother had this back in about 1956, and her outlook was indeed grim because all she had was surgical and beastly radiation which, at that time, was not kind.  What your medical team has to work with now is indeed miraculous and I know that you are going to be okay.  And we will award you the gold medal for all those hurdles you have cleared this last year.  You deserve it!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

moe

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
Kathy,
Cheering you on along with everyone else. You can beat this thing! I will keep you and your family in prayer for an uncomplicated treatment.
Hang in there, one day at a time,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 08:15:30 pm »
You all are just the bees knees!  Thanks,Steve, for your quick response. I am so glad that this adventure of mine can remain on this discussion /forum. I was holding my breath because I can't imagine my life without you in it here in the AN club. Love to and we will keep you posted. My primary job now is to heal from my 2 January surgeries and get ready for treatment. 
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 06:35:06 am »
Kathy, my sweet, we wouldn't dream of cutting you loose!  We want to be with you as you soldier on through what lies ahead. Count us in for the long haul, and make sure you keep us posted.  My prayers are going up daily for you.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cindyj

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 08:26:33 am »
Kathy, you can beat this, and we are all with you all the way!  Please do keep us updated as you can.

Many hugs,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 11:44:48 am »
Kathy,

Hang in there!!  Lots of healing hugs and kisses.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keri

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 08:21:37 pm »
i surely agree with everyone. we WANT to know how you are and what's going on. we want to pray for you and be there for you.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »
Kathy, sorry I'm late to this. Certainly not what you wanted to hear, but you've already shown you can overcome tough circumstances. Sounds like your doctors have a good plan of attack.  Keep us updated when you feel like it. We are all pulling and praying hard for you.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 08:50:19 am »
Hi, Kathy,

Just checking in to see how you are doing my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.