Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 53658 times)

cyrmom2

Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 10:38:17 am »
Hi Kristen.

Thanks for the update on your mom's surgery. We are all pulling for her.  I hope that she is getting good pain meds and feels much better today.  She is so lucky to have you there with her through this ordeal.  Take care of yourself too - eat well and rest when you can.  I'll drop some goodies by the front desk and have them bring them to you guys.  If you need anything, your mom has my number.

Hugs,
Cyndi

PS - I loved the song!
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

suboo73

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 06:08:51 am »
Kristen,

Thank you for the update.
Prayers all around for your mom and your family.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »
Hi, just hoping to hear some more news on how your mom is doing.

My prayers are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »
Kristin -

I put "Happy" on my iPod last night - beautiful song.  I've been thinking a lot about your mom lately.  Please give her my best.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:56 pm »
HI All,

I'm back making slow progress following surgery.  Thank you all so much, as always,for your encouragement to my daughter and prayers for me and my family.

My visit with my surgeon was not good today - stage 3 cancer.  7.2 cm tumor (undetected by mammograms I've had for the past 20 years without fail).  11 of 23 lymph nodes indicate a malignancy.  Next steps - heal from surgery for a few weeks and then meet with the oncologist for aggressive chemo, catscans, and radiation.  He says it is beatable with aggressive treatment, so that is what we are gearing up for. 

Now a question for the moderators here -
i want to be very respectful of others on this forum - the AN journey is stressful enough.  I don't want to draw attention to other non-AN issues and cause even more stress for those seeking support here from such a caring group.  I continue to draw strength from so many here, but understand if it is necessary to find another means to communicate with those of you who have supported me all along.  Please let me know if talking about this in this forum needs to be done another way.

Love to all of you,

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:18 pm »
Kathy -

it's incredibly wonderful to hear from you  ;D

I'm sorry the new isn't as good as you had hoped for, but as Kristin pointed out to us - and I wholeheartedly agree - you are a fighter and you will get past this.

I see that your email address is in your profile, so if the moderators recommend an alternative means of communications I will just email you  :)  My email address is in my profile, so please don't hesitate to email me.

Hang in there and know you are in my prayers and thoughts.

Best  :-*

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
Kathy,

I don't think updates on your situation cause stress for other AN patients; it is pretty clearly unrelated to ANs. I am going to move this topic to AN Community, so it is clear that is not AN related, and because it is about having this community support you during this episode. I know many of us will want to hear from you and how you are doing, and will want a chance to wish you well. PMs and email are always available for more personal exchanges.

Welcome back, and please do lean us. That is why we are here.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:30:14 am »
Kathy~
I am so glad to hear from you - I have been wondering a LOT and then they asked about your progress in Bible class yesterday - I told them I hadn't heard but to just PRAY anyway!  Gotch covered there, babe!  I'm sorry the news was not as good as you had hoped.  It is a bit discouraging in this day & age to think you have done everything you can to detect this early on and then BAM!...this kind of news.  I will just pray even harder!  I know you WILL beat this.  We are DEFINITELY here for you and your family.

Love and Hugs,
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cyrmom2

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38:19 am »
Kathy,
I was happy to see a post from you but shocked to hear your news.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you head into your chemo and radiation treatments.  It is good to read that your doctor says an aggressive treatment plan can beat this cancer. Please keep us posted when you have some time and the energy.  My mom has shared your story with her prayer group and they are pulling for you too! Tell Kristen and your hubby that if they need to vent we'll gladly listen. Hugs to you all from Westerville.

Your ANA cyber friend,
Cyndi

diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Cheryl R

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:41 am »
  Kathy, I am sorry to hear of your news and have been thinking of you.    We do want to hear how you are doing.   This could be any one of us. Even men as they can get breast cancer too.        It is good of what can be done in this day and age and know several survivors.             We wish we could make this easier for you and your family.   
                    I wish you well and many are thinking of you and hope for the best!           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:02 am »
Kathy,

I just saw the update... and one thing I do know... you are one heck of a fighter!  I think you know the thoughts and healing hugglez are sooooo in reserve for you and you KNOW I'm cheering you on! We're here to help cheer you on during this battle but just remember.... the war CAN be won and you have all of us on your side to help achieve it.

Hang tough, m'dear!  "day by day, inch by inch..." and you have this motley crew cheering you on.

Thoughts and hugglez,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:36 am »
Kathy,

I'm very happy to hear from you as well, and very sorry to hear things are not better, but as Kristin said, you are a fighter and will get through this.   You are part of our family too, and we will continue to pray for you and support you however we can.  Please do lean on us and keep us updated when you feel up to it.  We are here for you.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:18:48 am »
Kathy,

I am so sorry to hear about the findings but you are and will be a fighter and I am sure the agressive treatments are going to get rid of this. I cannot imagine in this day and age that it was not found sooner or even a cure.  I heard something briefly on the television yesterday it was a commercial about something new pertaining breast cancer,  I did not hear it all if it was something on the late news but there is a new development? If someone in your family can check and see what it was or I can try to research it today I am not very good with this computer research thing.... You are still an AN and hopefully can still remain on this site one diagnosis is different then the other and I am sure the AN's can see that and if not I hope I can still e-mail you I would like to be there if you need to vent.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 11:04:48 am »
Be strong, Kathy, and you will be a postie again and start your life anew.

One of the motley crew cheering you on  . . .
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Vivian B.

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:16 am »
Hi Kristin,

I am so sorry to hear about Kathy. I missed the posts. I am glad her surgery is over. I will keep her in my prayers for a good recovery. Sending all my best to you both from Canada.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.