Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 53648 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Breast Cancer update
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:34:59 pm »
This is Kathy's daughter Kristin, wow it has been too long! It has been a whole year since I've logged on and talked to you all. I wanted you to know how my mama's doing. She had her mastectomy at about noon today, took a while, but was not a very long wait thanks to my crazy family all gathered in the waiting room :)

The surgeon (not nearly as friendly as her AN surgeon, Dr. Tew) came out and we all huddled around him like we were a football team planning the next big play, hehe you could tell he was so uncomfortable! But he said everything was fine, the cancer had spread a little bit to a few of the lymph nodes in her arm, so they went ahead and took all of them out (under left arm only).

As of right now, she is in a great deal of pain, once the doctors can get it managed they will then transfer her to a hospital room and we will be able to see her.

What a long day, not to mention a terrifying one.

I apologize for my scattered thoughts and poor grammar, just exhausted!

It is very frustrating to know that we have to wait a week for the results to come back on what stage the cancer is/was in, and if it has spread more or not, I just can't believe after all of this money has been poured into research for this stuff that we don't know more about it than we do! Unreal to me...but the doc sounded pretty confident that they got it all, you never know!

I've been listening to "Happy" by Leona Lewis, and I think you all should listen to it, it means a lot to me and makes me cry every time. I find it very appropriate given the circumstances. I hope you find the words as moving as I do :)

In conclusion, you all mean the world to my mother, and for those of you that sent that package...my mama just cried and cried. We have been wearing our necklaces, in fact, I'm wearing both hers and mine right now, and she was wrapped up in her blanket this morning.

You all are part of our family and I am so lucky to have found you. Thank you for uplifting my mother in her time of need. I will try to keep you all updated, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting online too much. I'll do my best though :)

And although mama is a stranger on this road she is NOT a victim!! She is a fighter, just like all of you :)

Love ALWAYS,
Kristin M

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:46:47 pm »
Kristin ~

Thank you so much for taking the time in a very long, exhausting day to post an update on your mother's cancer surgery.  I hope she'll be out of the pain very soon.

I agree that with the many billions of dollars poured into breast cancer research, it's frustrating to learn that it takes days to find out if the operation was totally successful (all of the cancer cells excised). However, I'm sure the time will go fast as you help your mother recover from this surgery.  

Thank you for your very kind words and of course, please let your mother know that we're collectively and individually thinking of, rooting for and certainly praying for her (and the family).    

I'm confident your mom will beat this and with all of us on her side, the odds are very much in her favor!  :)

Now, try to rest and take care of yourself so you can be there for your mother.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »
Kristen,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to notify us of your mom's surgery today my prayers will be with all of you and I cannot imagine having to wait the week out but it will be here before you know it and I am sure the news will be a good one.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:20:49 pm »
Kristen,

Thank you so much for updating us on your mom's condition.  I'm sure this has been a really tough day for everyone in your family and pray that you are all holding up okay.  I'm glad to hear the doc thinks he got everything but feel and share your frustration of still no knowing what stage the cancer has reached.  For now, just take good care of each other and send your mom my good wishes and love.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 06:21:43 pm »
Somehow I missed a lot of this, aka that this was happening. I knew it was a possibility but I guess I lost track. Thank you so much for the update, and we'll be praying! There's no rest for the weary sometimes, I know.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »
Kristin~
I have been praying for you guys all day and been how things were going.  I'm sorry that she is in such pain but I hope that they get that under control soon.  Thank you so much for keeping us posted!  Try & get some rest!

PS - Keep checking that mail!   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:26:16 pm »
Kristin,

Thanks so much for updating us.  I've been trying to check all day to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm glad the surgery went well and is over!  Now I hope she can heal from the whole past year.

Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way from all over the place.    I hope you can get some rest.

You're an awesome daughter and I know how much your mom appreciates your being there for her.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:33:08 pm »
Kristin -

Kay, Lori, and I sent the package and I'm glad you and your mom are finding comfort in the things that were inside of it.  I think each of us cried when we read the thank you that your mom sent us.

Your mom is a very special lady and you are a very special daughter.  You are both going through so much right now - and let's not forget that your dad is too - but you have each other and you'll get through this.

I'm not familiar with "Happy" but I have heard of Leona Lewis.  I'll make it a point to download it to my iPod from itunes.

Thank you for taking the time to update us so fast, I know it's been a very long, stressful day for you.  And while we'll be thankful with any news you can send our way, we understand perfectly that you may not always have the time to update us.

You are right, your mom IS a fighter.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »
Thanks so much for the update - hopefully, the docs will get that pain managed very quickly.  Please give her our best and you be sure to take care also!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jackie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 12:05:24 am »
Hello Kristin,

How fortunate Kathy is to have you as a daughter! What a lovely girl you are and a very devoted, caring loving one to boot!
Thank-you for giving us an update so soon! We will keep you in our prayers along with your Mom and the rest of your family.
I hope and pray that the healing can begin and that you can go forward cancer-free the rest of your lives. Cherish each other, and be there for each other, that's the best anyone could ask for! Thank-you, how proud your folks must be!
Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Lynn Mc

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:19 am »
Hello Kristen,

Thank you so much for taking time to let us all know about Mom.  I know it is a very trying time for you as will as your Mom but we are all there for you.  You are such an inspiration as is your Mom.  Please take care of yourself.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, Mom and your family.

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:08 am »
I am glad things went well during surgery.  Thanks Kristin for taking your time with us.  Give your mom our best.  Hope the medication can ease the pain.  You all are in our prayers, Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:04 am »
Kristin,

Your mom remains in my prayers, as well as your family.  Thank you for updating us.  I will be thinking of her.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

moe

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:10 am »
Thanks for the update, Kristin.
I will keep you and your mom in my prayers for strength (emotional and pnysical ;)) during this time.
Hopefully your mom got a pain pump after surgery. If not, demand one!
No reason to have to go through the pain.
Take care, gentle hug to Kathy. ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 10:02:43 am »
Thank you for updating. I hope things get better day by day. I pray for good results soon.
Praying for your mom and your family -
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!