Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 53672 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »
Anyone ever see Secondhand Lions?  I love that movie!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:56 am »
Hi Kathy,

I've been thinking about you a lot, too, over these past few weeks.  I think, wow...that lady has a lot on her plate!  You are an inspiration, that's for sure.  And Steve, that video is great!  Good job, St. Vincent's!   

Loved Secondhand Lions.  Cute movie.   I think I'd just watch all the Pixar movies!!  Can't get depressed watching those.   :)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wendysig

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:23 am »
Hi Kathy,

Just checking in to see how you are and also saw the video posted.  I've seen this before on YouTube and thought it would be a great spirit lifter for someone with breast cancer.  I hope it made you laugh.  Sending wishes for more good days than bad. 

Steve -- Great video!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 08:36:15 pm »
Hi All!

I loved the video, Steve...thanks so much for sharing it!!!  Laughter is the best medicine....and awareness is the best prevention - the video hits them both.

I love the movie list - my daughter and I just loved "Up"!!!  We watched it twice the first day she brought it home!  I can see Pretty Woman any day of the week.  I enjoyed Night at the Museum but haven't seen the 2nd one yet....  One of my all time favorite movies is Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  It makes me laugh out loud every time I see it.

BTW - I made an appointment with a wig fitting for next Thursday.  I told my husband he has til then to let me know if he has any special requests!!!  And get this - many insurance companies pay for it.  I will be checking to see if mine covers "cranial hair prosthesis".    I will be really glad if they pay, don't get me wrong, but seriously - why is there such a difficult time with insurance companies paying for hearing devices?  The insanity of our health care system is just something else. 

I am really beginning to feel better after the two surgeries.  My stamina is better every day, got another drain tube removed today (was hoping for both of them, but at least he chose the ouchiest to remove!), and my oncologist appt is now just a week away so we are soon to get this show on the road.  A local breast cancer survivor and champion for bc awareness called me this week and we are going to lunch on Friday - I am really looking forward to seeing her and talking to her about her experience.  I have yet to find an online support group like this one (not surprising that this group stands out above all others....let me tell ya!), so I am hoping that I find a great connection with her.

Keep the movie suggestions comin'! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lori67

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »
Kathy,

You sound great - if you can tell how someone actually sounds from a post, that is.   ???

I'm glad you have a "buddy" to help answer some of the many questions you must have and I'm sure she'll be a great source of support and friendship for you.  Well, maybe not as great as us, but..... ;)

I love Planes, Trains and Automobiles too.  "Those aren't pillows!".   :D

Up was great - Dug, the dog is exactly like my dog, Jenni.  If you need her for some company, let me know and I'll send her your way!  My favorite movie has to be Hot Shots.  I can watch that a million times and still laugh hysterically every time.  And Airplane.  I know, I just love the mindless humor.

Anyway, it's great to hear that you're healing well and ready to tackle this next part of your journey!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jackie

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »
Hello Kathy,

Funny how when I read your posts you really boost me!!! I love your positive attitude! How very refreshing and uplifting, after all you have been through!
Good for you! I can see you are really Blessed! Kathy, everyone has suggested really clean funny movies and I can't help but suggest "There's Something about Mary" with Cameron Diaz. It's a bit naughty, but we are all grown-ups right??? I found it soooooooooooooo funny, I really belly laughed! Again, I have to say for mature audiences only! I wish you the best of health and strong full recovery and that the time passes quickly for treatment so you can get on with living!!!
Blessing to you and your family.
Jackie in Oregon............. P.S. I always wondered what it would be like to be a blonde, maybe a blonde wig would be fun!!!
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »
Oh...don't get me wrong gang - Jackie-  you're right, I did not mean for all the movies to be wholesome and full of knowledge  ;D

Here's our stupid humor ones - sorry if this changes how you all feel about me  :o

The Hangover and Old School

So glad to hear your good spirits Kathy.  Hope you continue to find beauty in your days!  The wig thing is intriguing  ;)

02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 11:56:12 am »
Couples Retreat is just being released in DVD.  Make sure hubby watches with you.  Have a box of kleenex and some Depends, you both will need them.   ;D

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Keri

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:24 pm »
need Depends??!!

alicia, you're funny... i wasn wondering how people would think about me when i said my faves were blazing saddles and airplane. i want to see hangover.

Kathy - so good to hear from you. You do have a wonderful attitude. I hope and pray you can find some support but keep coming back to us!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:51 pm »
For movies I thought Ricky Gervais in Ghost Town was very funny for some reason.  Saw The Hangover with my son.  Not really my kind of movie, but it had it's moments.  Bradley Cooper is adorable.  Depending on your sense of humor, there is Little Miss Sunshine and The Sunshine Cleaning Company.  Highly recommend The Parrots of Telegraph Hill.  If you have netflix or one of those, you can get it through them.  It's actually a documentary type film about the wild parrots that live in San Francisco.  It sounds boring, but it has 5 stars and great reviews.  Try it, you'll like it.  Another great documentary is The Weeping Camel.  Did ya see District 9?  Surprisingly fairly good quality Sci-Fi.  A bit of the "ick factor" and the obligatory blow the town to smithereens scene, but overall, fairly satisfying, if you like that kind of thing.  If you can get over the fact that Matthew Perry and Zack Efron look nothing alike, the movie 17 Again is actually a pretty nice little move.  And you can always re-visit Big with Tom Hanks.  And one more absolutely darling move it try to get through Netflix is a sweet British movie, Millions. The kids in that movie are so cute you want to just take them home.  You might have to turn on the subtitles to English to catch all the conversation, but it's a sweet movie. 

What can I say, I love entertainment.

Hang in there kiddo!!

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:56 pm »
Hi, Kathy ~

I was pleased to read that you're felling stronger, are down to one last drain and moving toward starting your cancer treatment.  I have no advice about wigs and I won't recommend movies because you have lots of good recommendations already.  However, I like old movies i.e. 'Casablanca', 'Harvey' anything directed by Alfred Hitchcock and some 70's and later films, too.  However, I don't have little kids to entertain so I'm not current with some of the newer movies, although I did love 'Cars' (2006).  I'm sure you'll make choices that are right for you and your family.

I'm pleased you've found someone to help support you as you go into battle with your enemy (cancer) and of course, I wish you nothing but victory and better days.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »
Yes Keri,

Kleenex to wipe the tears from laughing so much and the Depends because you just might pee your pants!

Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

moe

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »
Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the update. You are a courageous woman going through all this. Keep it up, chin up.  :) :) :) :)

My funny movie recommendation:

RAT RACE- the new one, not the old one. Love it every time.

And of course the Jim Carey movies, especially LIAR LIAR and BRUCE ALMIGHTY......
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
Hi, Kathy I just wanted to see how you are doing and to let you know I was talking to a friend last night and a relative of hers HAD stage 4 breast cancer and it has been 5 years and she is doing good.

My prayers and thoughts are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:05 pm »
You guys have given me great titles!!  I just got Netflix so I'm gonna build a new queue for movies!!!  Some of them I've seen and forgotten about, like "something about Mary"!!!  I remember laughing out loud with that one, too!!!!

DonnaLynn, thanks for sleuthing out things for me!!!

I'll check in next week, once I meet with the physical therapist and oncologist.  Then we should be able to get this show on the road!!!

Love to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!