Author Topic: 1st consultation  (Read 2682 times)

JD

1st consultation
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:03:37 am »
hi guys, just got word this morning,  my first consultation with Prod Rory McConn Walsh is next wed 11th in Beaumont Private hospital, Dublin ireland.
Don't suppose anyone knows anything about him???
Had anyone got a list of questions I should ask him, any advice would be greatly appreciated... jeeze this time last week I was a happy man ready to start a family with my beautiful wife, ya never know what life will throw at ya!!

I also have a cd of my MRI, I was thinking about e-mailing the images to consultants in the US to hopefull get some advice, can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks guys
JD
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

JerseyGirl2

Re: 1st consultation
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:19 am »
I also have a cd of my MRI, I was thinking about e-mailing the images to consultants in the US to hopefull get some advice, can anyone help me out with this?

Hi,

I think many of us on this forum would suggest that you send your CD to House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles. Here's the link with the needed information:
http://www.houseearclinic.com/acousticneuromaconsultation.htm

Best wishes as you proceed.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

JD

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:01 am »
Your a gem, thanks so much. Ill do that right away.
jd
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:39:16 am »
Hi JD
Definitley send your scan to House. My top question would be: How many AN's have you operated on? If t not a large number, try to find a different surgeon. Keep us posted on how things are going JD!
Erin

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:38:10 pm »
From the ANA Website, here are some questions:

QUESTIONS FOR THE SURGEON
If you have decided to have your acoustic neuroma surgically removed, you may wish to ask some of the following questions of a potential surgeon:

How many acoustic tumors have you removed this month/this year and/or what specific training in acoustic tumor surgery have you had?
What is your total experience in operative cases of acoustic neuroma tumors over what period of time?
What microsurgical approach do you recommend for my tumor size, location, age, health and level of hearing?
Do you feel the facial nerve results or hearing results are more important in the long-term outcome? How do you achieve their preservation and what are your success rates?
Do you electrically monitor the facial nerve during surgery?
Do you use the newer technique to preserve the facial nerve? When leaving in small pieces of residual tumor on the brainstem or facial nerve, tumor growth usually stops as long as the tumor is not connected to the porus.
For a tumor the size of mine, what have been your results with respect to facial nerve damage, both temporary and permanent?
What is the likelihood that my remaining hearing will be preserved after this surgery?
Do you anticipate total tumor removal with a single operation? If not, what are my follow-up options? Surgery? Radiation?
Will this surgery be done by a team of physicians with more than one specialty?
What has been your rate of surgical complication with respect to infection, bleeding, CSF leak and headache?
When and how often should I schedule follow-up MRIs after treatment? Will I get these MRI's for up to 10 years?
Does your hospital have a neurological intensive care unit?
About how many days will I be in the hospital?
What follow-up care will I need?
How much discomfort should I expect from headaches and from the incision after this surgery?
The following points may also be considered:
It's all right to get more than one opinion.
Did you feel comfortable with the surgeon, information shared, etc.?
All other things being equal, when can the surgery be scheduled?

(Blatantly stolen from:  http://www.anausa.org/questions_for_physician.shtml).

There is also a good "question" form that can be found at http://anworld.com/questions/ with space to write your answers.  This way you can refer back to it later if you're comparing several doctors.

I'd definitely send it to House to get their read on it because a) they're experts with treating ANs surgically and b) it's a free consultation.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:28:07 pm »
Hi JD-

First , welcome to our happy little group.  Sorry you needed to find us, but glad you did.  I agree about sending the cd to HEI - theirs was the first consult I had.  The only thing I would suggest is that you NOT mail your only copy of the CD to them - I never got mine back (which was no big deal since it was an extra). 

You may want to find Lorenzo here on the forum - I believe he also lives in Ireland.  He had cyberknife treatment here in the States and may have some suggestions for you.  Besides, he's a great guy!

Try not to worry too much (cheap advice, I know). 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com