Author Topic: just diagnosed  (Read 3613 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: just diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:44 pm »
I assume Ill be off work for months... I really haven't a clue what I'm doing yet!!!!!!! ???

JD -  hi and welcome to the forum.

Feeling shocked and clueless are both pretty normal emotions at this point in your AN journey.  Educating yourself will help. 

As others have said, surgery is pretty much your only option - but don't freak out.  It's not as bad as you are probably imagining.  As far as being off of work for months, that usually doesn't happen, but a lot depends on how fast you recover and what kind of work you do.  Docs say that recovery generally takes about 6 weeks.

My AN was at least 3 cms when it was removed and I returned to work part-time 2 1/2 weeks post op and full-time at 4 weeks.  But that's just my experience; I work a desk job; etc.  Your AN journey will be unique to you.

Take a few deep breaths, let your diagnosis sink in - and don't hesitate to ask us anything.  That's what we're here for.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cyrmom2

Re: just diagnosed
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:10 pm »
Welcome JD! 
I had a 4 cm AN removed 10 weeks ago today and I feel great. I hope you find some comfort knowing that many others have been though this ordeal and are doing well.

Best Wishes,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.