Author Topic: How many days in hospital?  (Read 16396 times)

aj44

How many days in hospital?
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:52:55 pm »
Hello.

On average, how many days does one spend in hospital after AN surgery?

The surgeon will be operating to remove my AN through my skull and he will work from behind my ear.

I was told that I might be in hospital for up to ten days. How long was it for people on this forum who had similar surgery?

4 to 5cm AN removed on December 2009

epc1970

Re: How many days in hospital?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »
Hi AJ
I had retrosigmoid and I was in the hospital two days after the day of surgery.I was released on the 3rd post op day.   It really is a very indivdual thing depending on how quickly you stabilize and how quickly you can get up and around on your own. Good luck and I hope your upcomming surgery goes smoothly!
Erin

archana

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:08:03 pm »
Hello AJ,

My wife had Translab surgery on 10/29/09 to remove a 3.2 cm AN.  She is to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow (5 days).

-Raj
AN 3.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 cm
Translab 10/29/09. SSD on right. BAHA implant same time.
Ohio State Univ Med Ctr. Dr. Dodson

another NY postie

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:26:28 pm »
I had Middle Fosa and I was discharged on day 5 - although they would have discharged me on day 4 except it was over the weekend and I had a cough on that Friday so I think they were overly cautious since none my dr were around over weekend (and I might add that my insurance approved of the additional day - otherwise I would have been out day 4).
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:45:24 pm »
I was in on a Tuesday, operated that day, went home on Friday morning.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:03:30 pm »
Out on day 5 after translab...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:14:07 pm »
Aj ~

AN post-op hospital stays do vary and are heavily contingent on your doctor's judgment as to the rate of your immediate recovery.  5 days is the average and remains the operative number to consider when making your plans. 

I underwent 'Retrosigmoid approach' debulking surgery - no complications - and was released on the morning of my fifth day in hospital or, to be exact, approximately 115 hours after my surgery was completed. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mandy721

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:48:53 pm »
My husband's response was that it seemed liked forever!  He was in hospital for 17 days after his surgery. Nine days on the medical floor and then eight in rehab. 
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

cin605

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 05:14:57 pm »
I went in on Thursday mourn..out Sunday afternoon. :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »
I went in on a Monday morning and was released on Wednesday morning....48 hours total (including the 11 hour surgery).

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

swhite

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:08:42 pm »
I was rushed to the hospital unexpectedly on a normal Wednesday work day, had a 10-hour surgery Thursday beginning at 3pm, and was released the following Thursday evening.  This has been a life-changing event for me and my family.  Take great care.
Retrosigmoid 8/27/09 undiagnosed and suddenly; no symptoms prior; approx. 4cmx2cmx2cm; right-side, facial paralysis/weakness, SSD and tinnitus. Baha surgery 11/9/10.
Gamma Knife 8/11/14 at UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford after regrowth detected June 2014

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 06:52:42 pm »
I was released on day 3.
Funny I was asked to write a sentence to test my cognitive abilities and I wrote "I want to go home!"
I don't think hospitals are the most restful places.
I am sure that once you are up and doing the zombie shuffle they will let you go home.
Good Luck
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:37:50 pm »
Hello.

On average, how many days does one spend in hospital after AN surgery?

The surgeon will be operating to remove my AN through my skull and he will work from behind my ear.

I was told that I might be in hospital for up to ten days. How long was it for people on this forum who had similar surgery?

I also was in for 5 days the doctors wanted me to be in a little longer for therapy but insurance overruled and was out day 5... depends on your insurance also...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:31:46 pm »
AJ -

best answer is - it all depends.  Everyone is different and has a difference experience; although some of our AN journeys are similar.

The typical hospital stay post op is 4 to 7 days.  I was hospitalized for 6 days I believe, but I had extreme nausea and didn't eat anything (which in hindsight was not a good idea) and as a result I was weak and didn't walk the halls like I was supposed to.  I'm a bit of a rebel  ;)  :D   My doc let me stay a day longer than he intended because we both felt I needed it. 

Remember it's not a race.  You and your doctor will know when it's time for you to be released.  Don't rush it; take the time you need.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »
In on a Tuesday and out on the Sunday morning.  The nausea was the worst part for me (and booming head, but I expected that....)

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!