Author Topic: New Symptom  (Read 3777 times)

Vivian B.

New Symptom
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Lately I have noticed that my throat gets very dry, including dry mouth and when I am speaking, it feels like I have to make an effort. My voice sounds very dry like when you have a cold, but it's not cold symptoms. It almost feels like it's my vocal cords. I thought I read somewhere that the vocal cord nerves sometimes get affected by the tumor, but can this happen even if you have not been treated at all? Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Or could this be something different altogether?

Vivian 
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

LOIS

Re: New Symptom
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:43:37 pm »
Vivian,

I have that problem but I did have surgery so from what I understand its normal.  Could your tumor be pressing where it shouldn't be?  I know mine didn't start in the normal place, was only 1.2 cm but was already pressing on the brain stem.  That was the only reason I had the surgery.  I really wanted to w & w.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:49:51 pm »
Hi, Vivian ~

I was sorry to learn about this latest symptom.  ANs can affect the 9th and 10th cranial nerves, which can cause swallowing problems, so this may be a sign that your AN is growing,.  Only the MRI report can tell you and your doctor that.  Of course, I hope this is not the case and that your dry throat is caused by something different - and easily treatable.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:56:26 pm »
hey Vivian, correct me if I am wrong... situation is a meningioma as it is stuck to the the bone, the mushroom stem per say is growing into the 8th cranial nerve, correct?  just want to make sure I got it right. Thanks! Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49:54 pm »
Jim is right that ANs can affect the 9th and 10th cranial nerves, but this is uncommon and usually related to larger ANs (or to tumours located on these nerves). Your neurosurgeon should be able to tell what nerves are involved with your AN/meningioma.

Could it simply be a case of laryngitis? I have had many bouts of this, where I almost lose my voice, without experiencing any pain. It usually comes back after a few days and I know it is because of strain imposed to the vocal cords whenever I do a lot of teaching to large classes. Over the years I have learned to take better care of my voice, by making sure my vocal cords are well hydrated before going to class and by using lozenges.

I hope this will resolve soon. If not it doesn't hurt to ask your doctors.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:48 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Thank you all for replying. I thought maybe it could be growing and pressing on some nerve. I think my tumor is caught up somewhere in between the 7th and 8th cranial nerve. The neuro said the 8th nerve goes around it.

Jim you may be right, we will soon find out.

Lois, the cranial nerve will be affected in my case, mabe it is already and that's why I am having this symptom.

Phyl, you are correct, it is a CPA meningioma growing into 8th cranial nerve.

Marianne, I have been trying lozenges lately as I feel I always need one, really strange.

Well we may have figured out that possibly my intruder may be having a growth spur. How nice!

I will call the doctor's office and report it just to see what he says.

Thank you
Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.