Author Topic: External Eye Weights  (Read 48875 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: External Eye Weights
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 06:30:28 pm »
Thanks again Cyndi, I can hardly wait now...talk about timely advice, you couldn't have chimed in at a better time...super!

And K, you're right, I got a look at one of those weights today...real easy to misplace or drop down the drain...and I'm just the clown that would probably do that, the first time I go to put it in.  Yikes!

Thanks again Ladies!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 12:54:56 pm »
So, I've been wearing my new external Eye Weight since last Friday afternoon and couldn't be happier with the results.  It's a little tricky to put on, but once I've got it positioned securely in the right place, its all good.  Thanks again to Cyndi for the inside scoop on Med Dev!  For anyone else seeking to go the Med Dev route, avoid dealing with Cid, he is a nice enough guy but doesn't seem to follow through very well, ask to speak with Jean!
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

cyrmom2

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »
Yea Doc!  I'm so happy the Blinkeze is working well for you.  As a precaution, I ordered another one gram to replace the one I lost!

Hope your eye continues to feel great,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »
Doc ~

Great news!  I'm glad to learn that this issue was neatly resolved (with the Blinkeze) -  even if you had to take matters into your own hands, which is often the only way to get satisfaction. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 04:45:38 pm »
Yea Doc!  I'm so happy the Blinkeze is working well for you.  As a precaution, I ordered another one gram to replace the one I lost!

Hope your eye continues to feel great,
Cyndi

Can't thank you enough Cyndi...my quality of life improved a bizillion percent when that weight arrived on Friday...I bought two just in case.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Doc

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 04:47:31 pm »
Doc ~

Great news!  I'm glad to learn that this issue was neatly resolved (with the Blinkeze) -  even if you had to take matters into your own hands, which is often the only way to get satisfaction. 

Jim

You're absolutely right Mr. Jim...sometimes the bull is just more cooperative when you grab it by the horns with your own two hands...!

Thanks!
  ;)
Doc

mandy721

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 08:52:01 pm »
Doc,
How are you doing with the external weight?  I hope it is going well.  My husband had a weight implanted and it helps, but his eye bothers  him everyday.  Your experience with the weight was horrible.  Ken's eye bothers him throughout the day.  He has made frequent visits to the opthamologist and the eye looks fine, but he constantly feels like something is in the eye.  When he told me that he can't even rub the eye, it made me very sad.  Your insight is much appreciated.
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

moe

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:16 pm »
Doc,
It was so cool reading this thread and seeing how  the AN family helped you with the external weight.
Is this forum great or what?
Yea, Cyndi!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 06:41:37 am »
Mandy, even with the external weight, I need to use eye ointment continuously or my eye feels just as your husband describes. The major benefit of the weight is helping to keep the eye shut at night without taping so that the cornea does not get too dry. While my eye shuts completely at night, I only blink half-way so the tears (which thank God I do produce, many don't) are not distributed properly over the whole eye. The ointment does blur my vision, but my brain has learned to compensate and I see well enough to read, drive and so forth.

Your husband is wise not to rub that eye. But I have found that shutting my eye and gently rubbing in a circular motion at the inside corner (nearest my nose) gives me relief. I have never given it much thought, but tt probably helps with distributing the tears.

Best to your husband. It does get better

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:58 pm »
I've given up on my weight...it worked well for a while but now the eye hangs open just enough for dryness to set in and requires the ointment...unlike Sara, I can't see much of anything with it applied.  My Doctor suggested, and I'm waiting on insurance to approve Botox injections in the eye lid.  This will deaden the nerves that hold the lid open whereby allowing the eye to close...according to my Doctor, a five unit injection will last about three months.  I'm gonna give it try...couldn't be any worse than anything else I've been subjected to.  May have the procedure done as early as next Monday, the 23th...fingers crossed.

;)
Doc

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
Doc ~

I'm sorry to learn about this set--back but I hope that the Botox injections will solve the eyelid problem for you.  You deserve a break!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:44 pm »
Doc, please double check with your doctor that the Botox won't cause you to be unable to open your eye. Several months of that might indeed be worse than what you have experienced thus far.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:07 pm »
Doc, please double check with your doctor that the Botox won't cause you to be unable to open your eye. Several months of that might indeed be worse than what you have experienced thus far.

Sara

Sara,

I asked that question, he said no, but I'm gonna ask again just to be sure we understood each other...thanks for highlighting that point.

Doc

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:29 am »
When I have had weights - both internal & external - I still have to use Refresh PM or drops.  I used Refresh PM for 7 years before i even knew that you could get a weight & the gel did distort my vision where I couldn't see out of THAT eye but did fine seeing with just the vision from my good eye.  With the weights, I use the RPM at night and Systane drops during the day - the drops allow the vision to be MUCH clearer.  Did you try drops with the weight?  I don't know much about Botox, but I have had nothing but WONDERFUL (not perfect) things happen with the weights!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mandy721

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 09:28:45 am »
Doc,
I am so sorry to hear about your latest calamity.  You are having such a rough time and I feel for you and all that you are going through.

Kaybo,
The weight has helped with the eye closing .  Ken uses drops all through the day and his eye bothers him constantly. At night he uses RPM and a patch of Glad Wrap.  We have been averaging about 2 visits a month to the opthamalogist to check things out and the eye looks fine, but it is a constant pain.

Saralynn,
As much as I hate to read about your having a similar experience to Ken, it makes me feel better that he is not alone in experiencing this problem with his eye.  Luckily he has tears in that eye too. At night he uses ointment and a Glad Press and Seal Patch. I don't know much about the external weight since that wasn't discussed as an option.  At that time, our heads were spinning and  Ken was not in good shape  and we thought the implant would be easier.   
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems