Author Topic: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!  (Read 211088 times)

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
Re: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »
Just a brief update. SoundBite has become my inseparable friend along these last few months. On nextTuesday (August the 3rd) I will receive the upgrade device which will be exactly how the final product will look like. I can't wait !!!

The other day I was in a reunion with at least 30 people talking and laughing, and music in the background, I could hear when my husband whispered in my bad ear " Let's go home" and I replied him "OK, I am ready", then he realized that he was talking to my deaf side and asked me: did you hear what I said? , I told him "yes, you said "let's go home". He stared at me with amazement and said:  "IT'S UNVELIEVABLE !".
This is one of the numerous benefits that I get while wearing the device.

I just found that SoudBite ranks #1 on Cleveland Clinic's 'TOP 10' Medical Innovatios for 2010. Here is the link: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/innovations/summit/topten10/one.html

Will keep you all posted,
Have a great time,
Gloria
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:22:02 pm by Arasha »
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:17 pm »
Gloria ~

Congratulations on your amazing success with the SoundBite system!  This is definitely a big leap forward in SSD solutions and you're helping lead the way! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:34 pm »
Gloria -

glad to hear that the SoundBite is working well for you  ;D

Gives those of us with SSD one more option.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

KKorkut

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2010, 10:33:54 pm »
Hi Gloria,

I visit this site every day for checking if some recent news exists from you. I am waiting your comments about final product impatiently.

Best Regards,

Koray

heyct

« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2010, 07:58:45 pm »
Hi Gloria,

Maybe I'll see you there Aug. 3. My appt. is 1:45.

I have to say my experience thus far has not been as good as Gloria's. Since I cannot eat with it in my mouth, I'm finding I constantly pop it in and out during social events, which is when I desperately want it. Even at the movies w/popcorn, I have to remove the ITM to eat. I'm also getting horrible feedback on one of the ITMs.

I'm hoping & crossing my fingers that the new final product will be better! Check back for updates.
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03:57 pm »
I also am checking frequently to see your comments about  Soundbite.  Thanks for all the info.

Debi

kristinmarie

« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »
Gloria - thank you so much for starting this thread. It has been SO helpful to read about your experience with the Soundbite and you have been so unbelievably helpful and kind in getting everyone's individual questions answered. I am 29 years old and have been deaf in my right  ear since birth. It has been really frustrating at times. I am a teacher and I get by pretty well all things cconsidered but I have been waiting for something non surgical to come along forever and I hope that this is it. I wasn't sure how much the device would help in the classroom setting, with all of the background noise but when you said that it helped at your reunion that seemed encouraging. I am eagerly awaiting your and Carolyn's latest update now that you both have the newest device. Thanks again!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2010, 11:08:21 pm »
Carolyn -

thanks for posting about your experience with this device while trying to eat.  I truly feel this will be one of the big drawbacks of this product.

Kristinmarie -

if you haven't looked into a BAHA, you definitely should.  I realize that your post said you are waiting for a non surgical option to come along, but the surgery is minor and the results are well worth it.

There are numerous people on the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com) who have been deaf since birth and found the BAHA to be a wonderful solution.  I recommend reading some of their stories.

Just a thought,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

hjb4971

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
I've read all these comments with interest and tried to keep an open mind, but go back to leapyrtwins' comments from a year ago.....I did NOT want a hearing aid that showed, and am very suspicious of something in my mouth.  I had absolutely no baha surgical problems and have now had my Otticon Ponto since July. It definitely helps, but I just wish I could get more volume without feedback.  The audiologist says my brain is still adjusting and in about another month they will re-program my unit if I want, but to give it 60 days, first.   
SSD left side since February 2010. Baha surgery May, fitted with Ponto July.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2010, 10:51:53 am »
While I didn't want a hearing aid that showed and I can't imagine having something in my mouth to help me hear, I totally understand that someone might not want a titanium rod drilled into their skull.

Just because it was my choice - and I'm happy with it - doesn't mean it's for everyone.

It's like the radiation vs surgery question for treating ANs. 

So, for those who think the Soundbite will be a wonderful solution for them, I say "Go for it and good luck!!!"  ;D

Jan

Mei Mei

« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2010, 12:19:25 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean exactly.   I was going for BAHA before my AN surgery and then I started getting PostSurgical headaches which you said you don't suffer from.   I get these headaches every night from  three to five in the morning and sometimes during the day since Jan.   I get them even when I sneeze.   The thought now of having another knife to my head now with all these headaches makes me want to run to Timbuktu.   You are so lucky not to suffer from headaches.  I have to take the non--surgical route either Sonitus or TransEar.   Right now I'm happy being SSD because finding a cure to these headaches is a 24/7 task to my life right now unfortunately.

Glad there are choices for us.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

heyct

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:26 pm »
Apologies for not posting sooner. I went for my 3 month checkup & no new devices were ready! For now, I'm still stuck with the same ITM & BTE peices. I was expecting a smaller ITM & custom BTE.

On the bright side, I got to meet Gloria! It's so nice to meet someone who completely understands my situation.

So for now, no news. I will comment that no one will see the ITM...unless you tend to leave your mouth open...wide:)
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2010, 09:56:19 pm »
On the bright side, I got to meet Gloria! It's so nice to meet someone who completely understands my situation.

In my opinion, that's one of the best parts of the Forum; connecting with other AN patients and ultimately getting to meet them.

In the past month alone, I've personally met six ANers that I originally connected with through this Forum.  And earlier today I met some others, that I didn't meet here, at a local ANA support group meeting.

We are excellent resources for each other.  I'm looking forward to your next update, Carolyn.

Jan

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2010, 11:05:33 pm »
Hi Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted, my brother from Ecuador came to visit and honestly we had a really good time together. We were so busy and things were pretty hectic, I couldn’t make time to check this forum which I like to do so much. Anyway, here I am. 

First of all, I was so happy to meet with Carolyn at Sonitus and to interact a little bit. She is a very nice lady.

I have to say that I felt disappointed when the doctors told me that I won’t be getting the smaller SoundBite just yet, apparently it is not quite finished yet. I did get two brand new ITM’s with the same external design as the ones that I had before but these ones have been lasting around 7 hours. I don’t know if they upgraded the batteries or the devices are more efficient but either way OOHOO! I am so happy, because the battery life has been my main concern.

Have a great time,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »
Thanks for the update Gloria...
Please let us know when you get the new one and how you like it. (It would be great if the batteries lasted longer, I soooo agree)
Any news from Sonitus is appreciated...their website has no new information and I am curious about the FDA approval, and where things stand in that  process.

Thanks again for your updates.

Debi
(Amanda's Mom)