Author Topic: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!  (Read 210721 times)

kristinmarie

Re: GOOD NEWS...NEW INVENTION FOR SSD... Sounds good for us!!!!
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:48 pm »
Thanks, Mei Mei.  l look forward to reading what the developer wrote.  Good luck with the process.  Are you close to DC?  I live in NYC so I am going to have to fly to Pittsburgh, but if it all works out it will be totally worth it.

Kristin

Mei Mei

« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:23 pm »
I'm going to the NYC Meeting on July 16th.   Will you be there?   You could take a Vamouse bus to DC easier and meet with Dr. Monfared at GW.   He just moved here from Stanford University and is really nice.   

Here is what my father's contact in California said when I sent this thread's question about the Sound Bite and EMFs.   First he sent an email asking if I were worried about EMFs and before I had a chance to answer him, he sent this:

Hi Mei Mei,

For FDA approval, the device had to pass numerous tests and must meet many standards.  EMF was one of the most obvious and easiest questions to address as there are many independent testing companies that provide this service.
The main standard was IEEE C95.1 "IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 3kHz to 300 GHz".
A third party independent testing firm reported that the Soundbite components produced such negligible EMF at levels so far below IEEE C95.1 thresholds that SAR measurement was not required (much less than 1% of threshold).   There are other international standards that are even stricter than C95.1 and although the devices were not tested against those other standards, the emitted EMF is so negligible that those would be passed as well if they were required.

However, negligible is not absolutely zero.   As with all things, we have to make our own individual risk-benefit analysis and much of that is perception and value.   I hope this helps.
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

kristinmarie

« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
I didn't even know about a meeting in NYC on July 16th.  What is it for?  Unfortunately, that's the same day that I am leaving for vacation.  I would definitely consider seeing Dr. Monfared.  I don't see him listed on Soundbite's list of doctors.  Is he already accepting appointments and will he have the Soundbite by August?  I am a teacher and I would love to have the device before school starts back up in September.  That's good news about EMF's.  I hadn't even thought to worry about that aspect.  Thanks so much.  Have you spoken to anyone about insurance coverage so far?

Kristin

Mei Mei

« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:35 pm »
I'm making an appointment for August because he said he was ready for August to start with SoundBite.  He gave me a bunch of his business cards because I keep meeting people that are hard of hearing and I want to help them so I asked him for some brochures and cards.   Too bad I won't see you at the meeting.  You can always stay here if you need a place when you are getting your SoundBite fitted.   I just don't know why NYC doesn't have some hearing center.   What about Weill-Cornell with Dr. Selesnick or NYU or Mt. Sinai?

Don't just depend on the website because I don't think it is up to date.
Keep in touch.   I just retire as a high school teacher so I know what you mean when you want to be ready for the first day of school.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »
Mei Mei,

Thank you so much for the valuable information.  It is good to know that we don't have to be worried about EMF issues if we decide to go for SoundBite.

All Best,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Mei Mei

« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:08 am »
You're most welcome.   I even worry about small amounts and stay away from my microwave.    My friend won the Nobel Prize in Physicis and is now a Secretary of Energy.   He doesn't have a microwave at home.
Just never can be too careful.   I will move forward with the SoundBite in August.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2011, 12:45:01 pm »
 Hi everyone,
I know most of us visited the new website for SoundBite. I just received this message from Sonitus and I want to share this information with you guys:

" Rejoin the
Conversation
this August 

The SoundBite Hearing System
is Coming Soon!
Thank you for your interest in Sonitus Medical. Since receiving FDA Clearance for the treatment of Single-Sided Deafness and Conductive hearing loss, Sonitus Medical has had a tremendous response from physicians, potential patients, and individuals who know of someone suffering from single-sided or conductive hearing loss.

We are pleased to announce the launch of www.soundbitehearing.com, for our product, the SoundBite Hearing System, the world’s first non-surgical and removable hearing solution that relies on bone conduction to imperceptibly transmit sound via the teeth.

Visit the new site to get answers to common questions, find a Soundbite physician near you, or view testimonials from delighted patients who have experienced the Soundbite hearing solution. You can also reference other important information such as product updates, device animations, and more.

SoundBite will be available starting this August through physicians and audiologists in select markets in the U.S. with expansion across the nation over the next six to nine months. Please continue to check www.soundbitehearing.com for updates on clinic availability and to access a growing list of participating providers.

Thank you for following our progress and watch for more SoundBite updates soon!

Sincerely,
The Sonitus Medical Team
"

I'll keep in touch,

All best,
Gloria

Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Mei Mei

« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »
I got an email from Dr. Ashkan Monfared at GW Hearing Center yesterday to make an appointment.  I have one for July 26th and so does someone from NYC on the same day!
I hope the insurance goes through OK.  I am concerened about getting the first Soundbite as there will be more to come in a year or so.

Hugs to all...I am excited.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Dr. Monfared said he only knows of three places dispensing the Soundbite in our area:
South Carolina, GW and Boston.

Hope all of you find a solution to the SSD problem.   I decided to go ahead with it because I keep losing my balance.   Even when a person hugs me and steps back I have to hold on to something or I'll fall over.   Don't like feeling like a delicate flower.

Am looking forward to this.     ;D
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Cheryl R

« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2011, 08:52:43 am »
Wasn't LADavid for the Brainport?            There was a  lady who did the Sound Bite.
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:55 am »
that is what I was thinking too...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:11 pm »
Kaybo and Cheryl -

I think you guys are right.  I don't think LADavid did a Sound Byte trial; it was Brainport from my recollection.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »
 :)   I had my appointment with Dr. Monfared this afternoon and was told that I would have to pay next month sometime $750. and they would submit for the $6,000 balance.   This was a surprise I wasn't ready for because when I last heard, the price was only $4,000.   They are very sure that insurance will reimburse which is why the small up front payment.   They were approved by the FDA not as a hearing aide but as a device (20+ years ago I used to work on device applications to be submitted to the device section of the FDA, so this point is critical).   The piece that goes in your ear is really tiny (she said the original was much larger).  The piece in the mouth didn't look so bad.   My father has been wearing a clip in tooth on his upper molar for the past 50 years and he never complains...that clip in tooth is much bigger than the SoundBite, so I'm cool with that piece of the puzzle.  Besides, I wear a night guard for my tooth grinding which fills up my entire mouth, so this is nothing compared to my night guard and my CPaP.   The first time my grandson climbed into my bed with me doning my Cpap and night guard, he screamed for his MAMA.   Poor baby must have thought I became an alien!

They said Sonitus would do the filing and I'll get my nurse practitioner and ENT doc to write supporting letter that I need this to hear I guess for safety so that I can hear what's coming from my right side.   Once they hear that this accomplishes for alittle under $7,000 help for SSD patients without the expense of surgery, they might prefer the insured patients to opt for the non surgical option and do away with the surgery.   I'm looking forward to be turning on with all the other GW SSDers in Sept.
Sorry I missed Kristin who came down this morning for an appointment with Dr. Monfared and the audiologist.   She was here last week to get the fitting with the GW dentist.

I'm looking forward to not have to strain my Cervical discs which are full of arthritis, herniated discs and stenosis.   Constantly turning to the other side to hear someone gives me a pain in the neck.   Also when I'm driving I can't hear the person in the driver's seat or the oncoming traffic.   I keep thinking of more and more reasons why United Healthcare should pay for this solution to my SSD.

Following up with the excision doc in September so my book is full of exciting changes for the better in September.
Happy Day!    ;D
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:06 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Congratulations on moving forward with your Sonitus appliance.  I hope it delivers what you need with few hassles and that insurance will pick up the balance of the cost, as you've been told.  Frankly, the elation in your post is infectious!  I wish you a great September!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »
Once again, Thank you, Jim.   I thought about it all night and decided to call the United Healthcare Nurse Case Manager assigned to me because of my many problems.   She told me not to let them go ahead with the paying upfront $750 and signing away my rights should the insurance not come through for me.   She told me it was too big a risk to take and gave me the phone numbers to call and fax.   I want them to pre certify my device before we proceed so that I don't get stuck in a corner.   They told me they would appeal after a denial and appeal up until one year and then work out a payment plan for me to pay the $7,000.  Next month they would charge my card $750 and would get that back once Sound Bite payment is approved.   I am not happy with this plan and told everybody so.  It's sticking my neck out like a giraffe.   If they (Hopkins and Georgetown) can pre certify my surgeries, why can't they go to bat like the surgeons do and get everything to pass smoothly for MOI!!!!   and believe me MOI is important as Miss Piggy says.   They told me once the year is up, they would work out a payment plan for me to pay off the $7,000.   and the $750 which is immediate.   I wrote to the docs involved and to my primary care, ENT, nurse practitioner to request clinical notes and a letter from them to support my "Pre certification"  and included the dentist who was part of the invention of the Sound Bite and holding partnership in the organization.   I told him to tell the President whom he sees that they are getting off on the wrong foot as far as I am concerned.   I would rather continue SSD than be a giraffe and stick my neck out for $7,000.  I just want to let all of my Forumites out there not to let them corner you into liability of $7,000.   It's too risky.   The onus should be on them to get the pre certification just like our surgeons and Occipital Nerve Block pain docs do.   What makes them so special that they make you give them the credit card information and say that you are billable after one year if our insurance refuses.  Yes, Dr. Monfared said they are nice.  Nice is nice, but this is business and I won't proceed unless they get off their buts and get the paperwork done to pre certify.   I did my homework, let them do their homework the get the BUCKS.
 Below is my as usual frank notes to the medical  professionals and United Healthcare:

Fwd: Sonitus Pre determination request information from Dr. Douglas Feldman
Seroun Wang to physicians
show details 5:33 PM (2 hours ago)
To Dr. Feldman
I am coming in to see you next week just to ask you for help with the
Sonitus Soundbite pre-determination.   I am also coming in to see if
you have any suggestions about my breathing and exercise tolerance
from the paralyzed vocal cord.    I went to the Acoustic Neuroma
Assoc. Symposium last month in Cincinnati and  met with several
physicians from Mayfield and House Ear Insitute and they all noticed
my breathing as I talked with them.   So did the doctors in Neuro at
Georgetown.

Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you and discussing this.
Sincerely,
Seroun M. Wang

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2011/7/27
Subject: Fwd: Sonitus Pre determination request
To: Ashkan Monfared <amonfared@mfa.gwu.edu>, Rachel Lazaro
<rlazaro@mfa.gwu.edu>, Ben Wu <benwu@ucla.edu>, Dr Theodore Li
<tli@foxhallinternists.com>, Maureen Moriarity <mmscrnp@hotmail.com>

I hope you don't mind my changing the signature line to read "pending
pre-authorization"    This is what my United Heathcare Case nurse case
manager told me to do to keep things clean and straightforward for me,
the patient.   I have to protect myself and I hope you will
understand.   It is too much of a risk.   I'm sure Sonitus will
understand.   They can wait and I can go in the next batch of
patients, but I am pretty sure that this way the Nurse Case Manager
advised me to do is protecting me.   I am recently retired on
disability and home taking care of my 97 year old father so there are
many things going on in my life.

I am asking Dr. Li, my primary Care doctor, Dr. Feldman, my ENT doctor
and Dr. Maureen Moriarity to send over what UHC predetermination has
requested.   I am acting fast on this.   The requests to them have
already been sent out, so I expect a decision very soon from
Pre-determination.

Thank you, Ben for the information on the EMFs and IEEE requirements
which I ran by five of my father's colleagues who are all Fellows of
the IEEE.  Please tell the Sonitus President the next time you see him
my feedback.   As I told the Audiologist yesterday, we are treading on
unchartered waters and I believe that they are starting off on the
wrong foot.
CC:   ANAUSA.org:   Hearing thread on Sonitus...Good News for us so
that everyone interested will know how I think they should proceed.

Take care all and best wishes,
SMW

Date: Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Subject: Sonitus Pre determination request
To: Maureen Moriarity <mmscrnp@hotmail.com>

Dear Dr. Moriarity, Dr. Feldman and Dr. Li:
I hope you are doing fine and cool today.   Tomorrow it's supposed to
warm up again.

I wanted to ask you a favor.   I went to see Dr. Monfared yesterday
about the hearing device and he told me everything about how we would
proceed.   They are getting the first group of patients all fitted and
we will be given the devices sometime in September with the entire
group at the same time....like a party.

The major problem I have with this is that he and Sonitus plan is to
have me submit $750. 00  in September and they would file the
additional $6,000 + and if it gets denied, they would work on it for
one year and then if no reimbursement comes through at the end of the
year, they would work out a payment plan.   I called my assigned Nurse
Case Manager at United Healthcare and she said NO NO No.   Don't do
that.   Get it pre-authorized before you proceed.   I faxed over to
the Sonitus Medical Order and Insurance office the forms the
audiologist gave me yesterday but I crossed out the part that they are
allowed to bill my credit card for the initial $750.   I wrote next to
it:   Pending Pre Authorization, but I included my American Express
number  ... not giving them permission to bill to it.   I am expecting
them to push for pre-authorization just as Johns Hopkins and
Georgetown did for my surgery and Physical Therapy.   This is the
first time they are doing this and they are treading on uncharted
waters.    I want to apply for pre-authoization and not have to wait
to get back my $750.  and then get billed $6000 +

She told me to call Pre authorization Claims Dept and they told me to
have my doctor call (they prefer a call because they said it would be
faster OR Fax medical reports, clinical records and a statement from
you as to why I need this hearing device.   It has to be called a
device not a hearing aid, otherwise it won't get  reimbursed.   It was
approved by the FDA under Devices and I think is being filed as a
prosthetic device.

The number to call in the report is:     1 866 297 9393   Care
Coordination Dept.

Fwd: Sonitus Pre determination request information from Dr. Douglas Feldman
Seroun Wang to physicians
show details 5:33 PM (2 hours ago)
To Dr. Feldman
I am coming in to see you next week just to ask you for help with the
Sonitus Soundbite pre-determination.   I am also coming in to see if
you have any suggestions about my breathing and exercise tolerance
from the paralyzed vocal cord.    I went to the Acoustic Neuroma
Assoc. Symposium last month in Cincinnati and  met with several
physicians from Mayfield and House Ear Insitute and they all noticed
my breathing as I talked with them.   So did the doctors in Neuro at
Georgetown.

Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you and discussing this.
Sincerely,
Seroun M. Wang

Pre-determination.

wrong foot.

SMW

warm up again.

to get back my $750.  and then get billed $6000 +.

Pre-determination.

wrong foot.

SMW

warm up again.

to get back my $750.  and then get billed $6000 +

She told me to call Pre authorization Claims Dept and they told me to
have my doctor call (they prefer a call because they said it would be
faster OR Fax medical reports, clinical records and a statement from
you as to why I need this hearing device.   It has to be called a
device not a hearing aid, otherwise it won't get  reimbursed.   It was
approved by the FDA under Devices and I think is being filed as a
prosthetic device.

Coordination Dept.
If instead you want to fax or do both because I think faxing the
records from your hard drive might be easier, then the Fax Number is
 pre determination  fax 866 756 9733

The website for the device is SonitusMedical.com.   They are in San Mateo, CA

I hope this works.    Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei

Coordination Dept.

The website for the device is SonitusMedical.com.   They are in San Mateo, CA

I hope this works.    Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:09:55 pm by Jim Scott »
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo