Author Topic: Gold Weight Implant  (Read 38567 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: Gold Weight Implant
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »
Thirty-Six hours after the implant procedure and all is well.  You guys weren't kidding when you said to expect some "bruising & swelling."  Oh boy, did it ever, I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like.  What was really cool, the surgeon, Dr. Byron Deen of Cobb Eye Care, in Marietta, Georgia, actually called me a short while ago to check on me.  I couldn't believe that he took the time to do that; says a lot of good about the man.  His office also called earlier today; what a nice good!

Thanks everyone for your input and advise!
  :)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 02:17:39 pm »
Doc,

glad to hear "so far, so good" except for the bruising/swelling. Hang in there... give Fred a belly rub, feel better and pls keep us updated.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »
Glad it went well!  You can always make up some cool stories about how you got that black eye!  Hopefully it won't still be that way on the 31st, but if it is, you can make it part of your costume.  You can be Rocky.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Doc

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 04:40:56 pm »
Hi Lori,

Yeah, I'd make the perfect inept prize fighter or bus hits man accident victim...it's really not that bad...very sore to the touch still but its only been a day.

Thanks!

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

moe

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »
Glad to hear that things are going well... is ice still your friend?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 07:24:53 am »
Maureen,

Are you kidding...I love Ice and Pea's, frozen Pea's by the bag!  ;)

Doc

Doc

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 05:27:01 pm »
Big Trouble with the Gold Weight Implant, it somehow shifted to one side and the inside corner of it closet to my nose has poked its way through the Eyelid and has been nothing but a bloody mess all afternoon.  I'm having to change the blood soaked patches every hour, can't stop the bleeding with normal pressure which hurts like you know what.  The damn surgeon was out of the office today without anyone in to take his place...have to wait until 1:30 tomorrow before I can get in to see him.  His nurse said they usual take the weight out when this happens, wait for the eye the heal and than put another one in; another surgery...well screw that, if it comes out thats it, I'm not going through that pain and discomfort again, the very minor benefit I gained from the procedure isn't worth going through that again, no way, not happening.

Has anyone else had this happen to their implant???  I think I'm going to sue to surgeon just for the heck of it...let him feel the pain...that would be fun!

Doc
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:30:56 pm by DoctorB »

Kaybo

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:51 pm »
Doc~
I have had several implants because the first few times we didn't have the right weight.  We finally got lucky the third time and I wore that implant for about 5-6 years until I had the T3 surgery.  At that time, Dr. Byrne put in a platinum chain as he thought that it was thinner and would be even less noticeable.  My whole face was so swollen and then I had some major complications, but when all of that settled down, I realized that that weight had slipped more to the inside corner than it should be.  It didn't protrude thru the skin but wasn't really effective.  During all that time, we got an occuloplastic surgeon in our town so my eye doctor sent me to him.  We decided to remove the weight and let my eyelid heal as much as possible (that thin skin had already gone thru a LOT of trauma - he didn't want what is happening to you to happen to that thin skin)...that was about a year ago.  I do have an external weight that I was wearing at night but right now, I don't even need that.  I will probably wear it more once the air is so dry and the heaters kick in!  Sorry that this has been such an ordeal for you but I am still of the opinion that they are worth it in the care of your eye in the long run...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 05:42:18 pm »
I'm really sorry that happened. My ophthalmologist-surgeon warned me of that risk, especially since I have "thin eyelids," but fortunately mine has stayed put.

During my surgery, he and the residents were having what-if conversations about extrusion -- like what if it came popping out like the creature in "Alien." Not exactly the topic of conversation I would have chosen, but it did keep everyone amused and occupied.

Hope all goes as well as can be expected tomorrow. Keep those frozen peas handy.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:54 pm »
It was an Occuloplastic Surgeon that preformed the procedure.  If this one has to come out, thats it, I'm done with implants and certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else get one, not now...the next time it might just go the other way and permanently damage / destory an otherwise good eye.  I was never warned that this could happen, I have copies of everything I signed prior to surgery and haven't found that anywhere...I'll drop all that off to my attorney, this is just wrong.  K, there's no way I'd have this done three times like you have, no way...I'm actually very sorry now I did it at all...!

Thanks for sharing ladies...I appreciate it!

Doc
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:07:02 pm by DoctorB »

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 06:58:33 pm »
actually I have had that done 4 times and then removed one more...but have had even more eye surgeries...one weight I had put in without being put to sleep or any "relaxers!"   Sorry it didn't work for you - it truly does make the eye care so much easier.  Of course, the EASIEST eye care is having your eye sewn shut...I had mine completely shut for 3 months.  Not super attractive but SUPER easy care!!  LOL!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Doc

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 07:37:40 pm »
No, I'm not going the fully shut route...I'm goofy looking already, don't need any help in that area.  I can't believe this is happening...it was suppose to be "just that easy" and here I am "just that messed up."  I'll got back to taping and patching my eye every morning...no bloody mess, every!  I'm really, really angry right now.  I'm glad the surgeon wasn't there to see me today...it may not have gone very well...think of the headlines..."Gimpy Tumor Patient Assaults Eye Surgeon w/Wooden Cane"  Argh...this isn't good at all...*(&$*(&@)$&!

>:(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:39:43 pm by DoctorB »

lori67

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 08:26:56 pm »
Well, fortunately for the doctor, with your depth perception issues and general wobbliness - you might not have actually hit him anyway!   ;)  He would have been like a pinata!

Seriously though, I'm sorry you're having these problems.  I never had the eye weight because my doctor felt my skin was too thin right there and was afraid it would work its way out.  I guess it does happen.

I hope you get in to see the doctor soon and can get things fixed up.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Doc

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:08 pm »
Sorry to say you're right Lori...I can't find my own butt with both hands right now let alone hit a moving target with a skinny stick without falling down and hurting myself in the process.

???
Doc

moe

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »
Aw I'm sorry Doc :'(
No fun for you.
 S***T happens, unfortunately all at once for you.
Hang in there. You were mad enough after the surgery so there still may be some of that lingering anger, mixed with your newfound anger. AARgghhhhh. Deep cleansing breath.......
Was your face nerve cut?
After this ordeal is over, what about an external weight?
Let us know how things go.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty